Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Dropped the bumper for headlight bulb replacement now issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dropped the bumper for headlight bulb replacement now issues

So i dropped the bumper as the title said. No issues. I pulled the battery connections just for the helluva it. Replaced the corner headlight bulbs that were out with Sylvania 6000k less. Put everything back hooked the battery up. When I started the digital not was blank and did not respond to the steering wheel control. The left data info cycled through as normal expect 2 tps sensors showed --. I have been battling a DIG I believe to be faulty for a while. I left it unplugged for a while and it has been fine for months once being connected. Now it's not even powering on. I have the battery unhooked for now. I am going to plug it in and drive it for a couple days. Nothing seems to be affecting the car running but these gremlins seem to be coming up. Also the driver side marker is out and did not seem to respond to a new bulb. Wiring looked ok. That is likely unrelated and I think has been out for a long time.

I know it's a long shot but I am open to any input. I cleaned and put star washers on all group d's last year so I am confident they are good.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

The wires may look good, but did you look to see if the contactors are in good shape or even making contact with the bulb? as for your DIC, it may have dropped the LED screen. I had to replace my whole cluster because of the same screen not lighting up. At first, it got pixelated, then faded in and out. worked better on hotter days than colder days. Pull the cluster out and check the connector on the back, it may have vibrated loose a little enough, hopefully anyways. that cluster ran me around 300+
Old 05-16-2017, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah thanks. i am going to pull it one night this week. and as for today i have everything back. digital speedo and DIC. i am not looking forward to the 300$ plus for a new one if i need it. its not the cost its that mine is in mint shape all buttons are perfect. and all the used ones i have seen are trashed in comparison.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

so i yanked the NAV unit and even hours after i had shut the car off on a 20min drive home from work the things was pretty hot to the touch. the fan in it free spins. has anyone cracked one of these open for any possible repairs or mods for cooling??

i am going to run it out and make sure the fan engages but i am pretty sure i have heard it running recently.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Scalding hot? Or just hot? I dont think the stock NAVs have a external heat sink, so a lot of it will show on the casing, but they will produce some heat. The electronics are designed to handle a fairly appreciable amount of heat. But if you cannot hold the palm of your hand on it, then there is a issue.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

i mean it was uncomfortably hot. if the case is essentially the heatsink i get it but it was still very warm and it was like 2 hours after the car had been shut off. i'm going to play with it and see what i can find out. it looks like a PITA to disassemble the thing.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 121 Likes on 93 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Assuming you mean the factory navigation by NAV, pull the appropriate fuse and see if the issue disappears. That's where I would start.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

well by nav i guess i mean the DIC as many refer to it. the main dash computer/radio/screen. and yes when i pull the harness in front of the shifter things seem to be normal. after leaving it unplugged for a while when i plug it in i get anywhere from 1 trip for a month out of it before it goes weird again.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

The NAV will do weird stuff? I am lost now, I thought you were talking about the DIC in the gauge cluster. What is the NAV doing that is weird?
Old 05-19-2017, 06:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

That's me being dumb with terminology, sorry for the confusion. The nav will just cut out sometimes, show the station and song playing but no volume. It also seems to drop communication to the dic when it does that, like tps temps fuel level etc. New thing is it works fine then I shut the car off and turn it back on and it's 100% dead, no screen nothing.

I have pulled it and put it back in and it's fine for now. I am wondering if my interceptor gauge is causing noise on the odb2 port so i have pulled that and we'll see how it goes. I have an aux line tapped into the XM but it has done this with and without that on there.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

just putting this out there if anyone in the semi local area has a tech2 and a know working head unit i am interested to test it to see if it fixes my issue before i dive in and buy a used one and tech2. i dont really want to put my trust in a dealer to diagnose or should i say misdiagnose and guess at the issue and start throwing money at fix after fix. its either the nav unit or an electrical issue.

Quick Reply: Dropped the bumper for headlight bulb replacement now issues