Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Loose steering?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Loose steering?

So I have a big dead zone 2-3 inches of free play in my steering when you turn the wheel. Had a bad wheel on the front that gave me vibrations for a while but once I had the wheel fixed they are still there somewhat. Rocked the wheels from left to right with them off the ground and there is a tiny bit of wiggle but it's hard to tell. Any ideas?
Old 05-17-2017, 07:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 121 Likes on 93 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

When was the last time you had it aligned? How many miles on the car?
Old 05-17-2017, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

115, 8-9 months ago. While I can't confirm it at the moment I'm wondering if the vibration from the rim being bent jacked up my tie rods and that tiny bit of movement is what's causing the play
Old 05-17-2017, 10:37 PM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

If you had a bent rim on the front, it's possible. You SHOULD be able to see it though, I would think. I'd almost be afraid of the steering gear getting pounded like that, have you checked it to see if it's leaking? Jack up the front of the car and check it out...
Old 05-17-2017, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wheel was fixed it was a decent amount out but nothing crazy. The front subframe bolts also dropped on the front of the car right after I bought it, two front bolts missing one rear snapped and smack! But it was always had a vibration I attributed to the wheels but a bad tie rod will cause that kind of vibration and the alignment wonders just a touch. But I still have the vibration in the wheel and after the wheel was straightened I noticed the dead spot or loosens of the steering wheel travel. Have to leave town butt early Friday morning and want to take the v. May have to give in and have it thrown on the alignment rack in the morning for a definitive answer
Old 05-18-2017, 07:26 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Check the joint between the steerin column and rack. It may be worn or loose
Old 05-18-2017, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

http://s795.photobucket.com/user/pon...bg9ua.mp4.html

Wheels are off the ground, only time I notice the noise
Old 05-18-2017, 11:03 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Somethin is loose...
Old 05-18-2017, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Has to be in the rack or the steering shaft. Had it on the rack this morning and no dice. Everything was tight and good.

Have you ever had bent wheels? The tire shop said all my wheels where bent so I began having them fixed. One was straitened on the front and I bought a used one also for the front as it was bent on the face. But if my rear two are still bent would they vibrate through the entire car?
Old 05-18-2017, 08:04 PM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by vroom_vroom
Has to be in the rack or the steering shaft. Had it on the rack this morning and no dice. Everything was tight and good.

Have you ever had bent wheels? The tire shop said all my wheels where bent so I began having them fixed. One was straitened on the front and I bought a used one also for the front as it was bent on the face. But if my rear two are still bent would they vibrate through the entire car?
Absolutely. the oscillating of one can resonate throughout the car, both for sure. If it's only the rears, you should not feel it in the steering wheel. now, that applies to wheels and tires only. if you are certain both fronts are smooth and you are still feeling a shimmy in the steering wheel, you have another front end problem. Get all the wheels and tires right, including load force dynamic balance. do that and you can more easily diagnose. steering wheel shake is front end, vibrating *** is driveshaft/tranny, resonating whole car tends to be rear end or driveshaft but it gets tricky, especially if you have more than one issue. start ruling things out.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have done lots of trouble shooting and most of the vibration can be balanced out but it requires them to have it most of the day. Stuck my spare on the rear and my *** vibration is reduced significantly so I am going to pony up and have the rest of the wheels check and straitened if needed I know it's not drive line related after eminence investigation but I did have an interesting thought brought up. If I didn't put a big enough dent in my primary for the header it could be causing my intermittent steering wheel vibration....... ordering a new shaft and will get a bigger hammer out when I get back. Mildly pissed I have to take our dodge on a road trip. I mean it's a dodge.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Speaking of header to steering shaft clearance... We massaged the primary a decent amount but also clearanced the shaft slightly too as to not have to dent the primary too much.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Not a bad idea
Old 05-19-2017, 09:41 AM
TECH Resident

I watched your video and it sounded exactly like a problem I had. Naf pointed it out as well... The steering shaft. Double and triple check the ujoint in the steering shaft. When I bought my V and was driving the 5hrs back home...I noticed the same thing, couple inches of dead play in the steering wheel and that clinking noise back and forth.. ultimately I found a missing cap on the small ujoint in the steering shaft. New shaft fixed the problem.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just got back in to town, ordered a new lower steering shaft for (oem) should be in this week. Gonna do more clearance for the shaft as well. Voodoo what did you clearance on the shaft it self?
Old 05-23-2017, 09:47 PM
TECH Resident

I marked where the header tube was touching.. took shaft off and ground around the circumference of the steering shaft to reduce the diameter. Then combine with the denting of the tube, there was tons of clearance.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good deal will check it out in the am. Thought I had plenty of clearance but my header wrap may have caused an issue perhaps.
Old 05-28-2017, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Replaced part of my steering linkage the upper slip joint at the firewall. There was just a little clunkyness in that universal joint but apparently that is enough to make that big of a difference.

Eliminated a lot of my steering wheel vibration got a little more clearance from the header but it had enough it should have not been an issue. Anyhow was enough I could narrow down the rest of my vibration is coming from one of the rear wheels. Took out 90% of my steering wheel slop. Happy camper for today.
Attached Thumbnails Loose steering?-photo892.jpg  
Old 05-28-2017, 07:01 PM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

Woo hoo!
Old 06-01-2017, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Saga still continues. Taking it down to a specialty alignment shop Monday. Front end still feels squirrelly and unstable on the freeway and my vibration is coming and going again over 65mph shoot me please.

Quick Reply: Loose steering?