Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Sunroof Delete... anyone want one??

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 08:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sunroof Delete... anyone want one??

Planning on doing some FREE weight reduction on my car, for ***** and giggles, since im the only one who rides in it and I only drive it to and from work.

(My buddy is getting a Focus RS, and plans on adding parts, so I don't want to see his taillights)

Sunroof delete will be one of many Weight reductions I plan on... I have the sunroof glass already, so I figured id make a mold of it and replicate it, just like all the other Sunroof deletes.

Id have to test it first, make sure its straight and fit snug and doesn't leak first before I can mass produce it.

Wondering if there will be interest in it??
The following 2 users liked this post by RecklessV:
ctsvgen1 (01-14-2024), JustaV (01-08-2024)
Old 06-09-2017, 09:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm potentially interested, depending on much weight can be saved and whether or not we can use the reclaimed ceiling space to hide a partial roll cage.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I am potentially interested.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Count me in!
Old 06-12-2017, 12:58 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any structural issues to be concerned of with removing the sunroof frame?
Old 06-12-2017, 06:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought mine with the sunroof delete option installed
Old 06-12-2017, 11:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Vcaddy71
Any structural issues to be concerned of with removing the sunroof frame?
Usually there is a crossbeam glued/welded into the roof in that area when you don't get a sunroof. I'm not sure about the CTS though. Would be curious to see a non-sunroof cars roof to verify that.

So would this "delete" just be a fiberglass insert for where the Glass goes? The track and motors would remain in the car?
Old 06-12-2017, 12:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by barrok69
Usually there is a crossbeam glued/welded into the roof in that area when you don't get a sunroof. I'm not sure about the CTS though. Would be curious to see a non-sunroof cars roof to verify that.

So would this "delete" just be a fiberglass insert for where the Glass goes? The track and motors would remain in the car?
Name:  905386_x800_zpsjplci0ta.jpg
Views: 3179
Size:  55.1 KB

That's what I'm planning on making. It'll be just an insert for the sunroof opening. All hardware for the sunroof will need to be removed, which will save...what? 30lbs-40lbs? Im not sure how much the sunroof of weighs. Also, it's weight reduction from the highest point of the car.

I plan on making it in carbon fiber and fiberglass, I'm going to put the carbon fiber one in my car for testing. It'll have to be screwed it, going to try to make it bolt in to the original sunroof mounting points for easy installation.

Also will have to be seam sealed on the outside to prevent leaks, maybe I'll glue a rubber frame to help with sealing, or make a built in drip rail to tie into the sunroof drain lines.

I'm going to start removing the headliner tomorrow, and see what it looks like. My other cts, had an aftermarket rood put in so not sure how the oem looks. I'll take pics and post.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

leave the sunroof as a window, but make a flip tab manual version that only does the vent position.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bio248
leave the sunroof as a window, but make a flip tab manual version that only does the vent position.
Hm, I love that idea. Might try that, I'm guessing making into a vent position only is going to take some work lol. We'll see.

Pulled the headliner out, and holy **** what a mission. I think they got it in there through the windshield opening from factory. I had to force it out, no damage though and now I get to paint it black.

Name:  20170613_114338_zpscut0tmcp.jpg
Views: 2977
Size:  133.9 KB

Name:  20170613_114354_zps1fcj5v0d.jpg
Views: 4129
Size:  175.1 KB

That's it for today though, busy day ahead. Will update once I remove the sunroof, I'll weigh it too.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Incredible that in 2006, you had to pay money to have GM NOT cut a whole and insert all that dead weight right about your head. I would have paid the extra if I had the choice in 2006. I still love my V, tho. Subscribed for updates.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by RecklessV
That's what I'm planning on making. It'll be just an insert for the sunroof opening. All hardware for the sunroof will need to be removed, which will save...what? 30lbs-40lbs? Im not sure how much the sunroof of weighs.
Not the same car, of course, but in their recent E46 build thread, Vorshlag Motorsports said the Bimmer's sunroof assembly was 72lbs - http://www.vorshlag.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8488. (Note that thread also has good info on sealing up the CF delete panel.) I'm definitely interested to see what you find for the CTS assembly's weight - it looks even more massive than the E46 setup.

While I would love to lose a big chunk of weight, and losing it from the very top of the car is even better, during the 99% of the car's life that is spent on the road I use the sunroof a lot. I do think it would be cool to replace just the glass with CF, as barrock69 mentioned, so that I could still have the sunroof functionality. I don't know how much weight that would actually save you, though, or whether the juice would be worth the squeeze.

Last edited by AAIIIC; 06-13-2017 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I assumed that a sunroof delete would involve removing the entire roof and replacing it with a stiffened X-member under carbon fiber. At that point you could try to blend an oval or rectangular roll cage bar into the ceiling space and pad/upholster around it.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
Not the same car, of course, but in their recent E46 build thread, Vorshlag Motorsports said the Bimmer's sunroof assembly was 72lbs - http://www.vorshlag.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8488. (Note that thread also has good info on sealing up the CF delete panel.) I'm definitely interested to see what you find for the CTS assembly's weight - it looks even more massive than the E46 setup.

While I would love to lose a big chunk of weight, and losing it from the very top of the car is even better, during the 99% of the car's life that is spent on the road I use the sunroof a lot. I do think it would be cool to replace just the glass with CF, as barrock69 mentioned, so that I could still have the sunroof functionality. I don't know how much weight that would actually save you, though, or whether the juice would be worth the squeeze.
72lbs?!? Damn I hope ours weighs more than that, it'll be great when I loose that weight. I think what barrock meant was getting rid of it all and just keeping the glass, and only letting it go up and down vent style, not actually roll back and forth.

I think I'm leaning that way, but without the vent option, just a fixed glass. I think the glass alone weighs 8-10lbs.

The carbon fiber insert will probably weigh 3-4lb? I'd assume.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by RecklessV
72lbs?!? Damn I hope ours weighs more than that, it'll be great when I loose that weight. I think what barrock meant was getting rid of it all and just keeping the glass, and only letting it go up and down vent style, not actually roll back and forth.

I think I'm leaning that way, but without the vent option, just a fixed glass. I think the glass alone weighs 8-10lbs.

The carbon fiber insert will probably weigh 3-4lb? I'd assume.
I was thinking just a glass replacement panel that would still let it move back and forth like the normal glass one would. I'd take an 8lbs weight save just to get rid of the glass. If I ever got serious about it I would just weld the roof shut and rip out the entire sunroof module, add a couple cross braces with structural adhesive and some spot welds and pickup a headliner from a non-sunroof car to get the extra helmet clearance.

The headliners are typically installed through the front window space (pre-window install), thus making is quite challenging to remove after the fact without creasing and permanently deforming the headliner.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm in. I want the whole damn thing gone. Between me never using it and it's constant issues opening and closing all the time....I'm totally in.

I don't care about structure or seal or method. I want it gone.

You make that carbon fiber panel and you can go ahead and consider one sold.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yep. sunroofs are lame.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sunroofs are awesome.

moonroofs are lame.
Old 06-18-2017, 04:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked and looked and looked for a V with the sunroof delete from the factory. Took me a while but finally found one......I hear its super rare' Every V that I've seen has a sunroof.

This is a neat idea.....
Old 06-18-2017, 12:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

I know for sure that 06-07 CTS-V, the sunroof was a standard part of the car. One had to "check the box" for the optional upgrade to have the sunroof NOT installed.

Quick Reply: Sunroof Delete... anyone want one??