Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Group Buy Feeler: Flat Steering Wheel and Fast Ratio Steering Rack

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 07:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default Group Buy Feeler: Flat Steering Wheel and Fast Ratio Steering Rack

This is just a feeler. I'm pursuing these upgrades for myself regardless of public interest and will be paying a lot to make it happen.

The wheel won't be available until August. It'll cost $695 and require a core exchange. You *may* have the option to maintain the original diameter or choose a reduced size (~1" smaller). It'll have larger thumb grips and more padding. Haven't nailed down the leather options yet. No modifications will be required to install--plug and play. You will maintain your steering wheel controls and airbag.

The steering rack will cost about $2000. You'll have options of 14:1, 12:1, and 9:1 Saginaw 800 series box. Proprietary design for the V1, but you'll be able to source replacement parts freely once you have it.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I'd love to have a quicker rack - particularly on track, the slow steering makes the car feel sluggish. But I don't think I'd love it $2000 worth.

Last edited by AAIIIC; 06-30-2017 at 08:35 AM.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:49 AM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
I'd love to have a quicker rack - particularly on track, the slow steering makes the car feel sluggish. But I don't think I've love it $2000 worth.
$2000 is an upper estimate. The box alone costs $825 because I want this to be the tightest, most precise steering rack possible. I'll let you know if the price falls as we get closer to done.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This sounds interesting and while it isn't for me, you might be able to generate more interest if there are assurances it'll work with the factory pump/lines and whether or not it includes tie rods...
Old 06-30-2017, 08:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

As promised, great job on supporting this platform and I hope something comes to fruition on this for the community
Old 06-30-2017, 08:46 AM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by ls1247
This sounds interesting and while it isn't for me, you might be able to generate more interest if there are assurances it'll work with the factory pump/lines and whether or not it includes tie rods...
It won't work with rubber hoses and hose barbs. It will require high pressure stainless lines with 6AN fittings. It doesn't make sense to run this rack with the undersized cast pump that can't provide the necessary CC/rev for the OEM rack let alone this one. If you tried it'd be very sluggish (well, more sluggish than it already is).

The OEM power steering pump starts to cavitate above 4000-5000 engine RPM, which further reduces its flow rate, and boils the fluid to the point where you're liable to melt the rack o-rings. You've gotta give GM credit--they know how the majority of their customers drive their cars and engineered that pump to be as cheap as possible without requiring an excessive number of warranty claims.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:22 AM
TECH Addict

Tie rods?
Old 06-30-2017, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Interesting...

I'd like to see some pictures of the steering wheel, but I would love to get a faster rack in this car. It is the one thing that is giving me thoughts about selling my car. The stock G8 steering is so much better than the V it's not even in the same category

By chance does anybody know what a V2 rack has for ratio? The V2 cradle does bolt up to our cars FYI
Old 06-30-2017, 01:34 PM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by barrok69
Interesting...

I'd like to see some pictures of the steering wheel, but I would love to get a faster rack in this car. It is the one thing that is giving me thoughts about selling my car. The stock G8 steering is so much better than the V it's not even in the same category

By chance does anybody know what a V2 rack has for ratio? The V2 cradle does bolt up to our cars FYI
I have most of that information on my main computer, but the interesting thing i can say offhand is that both the V1 and V2 racks are variable ratio, variable resistance designs. The V2 rack is better for various reasons but I can't remember offhand.

Magnasteer (a term you're probably familiar with) provides increased resistance as you drive faster. This makes it easier to stay in control at highway speeds. Also, the rack ratio becomes faster as you roll away from the center area. The idea was to make it really easy to drive straight at speed, but also provide a fast ratio to assist with parking.

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 06-30-2017 at 01:42 PM.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 121 Likes on 93 Posts

Does this require a separate/upgraded pump? If the 2k included a pump and lines to finish out the install and is otherwise bolt in, i.e. truly inclusive, I think it may be justifiable for more of us.
Old 06-30-2017, 03:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by barrok69
The V2 cradle does bolt up to our cars FYI
Did you just say that you can confirm the front V2 cradle will bolt to a V1? I think this is the first i have heard this. Do you also know if it will mount a v1 rack to it? Beyond that the only other thing i can think of is the LCA's being mounted in the same geometry?

The ABS pump can have a bracket made for it clearly as the location isn't critical.

Other than that, yes I am interested in a steering wheel, and maybe a rack, but that cost is a high bar to entry especially if you are talking about running a new pump as well and spending 8-900 on that.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PLA TME
Did you just say that you can confirm the front V2 cradle will bolt to a V1? I think this is the first i have heard this. Do you also know if it will mount a v1 rack to it? Beyond that the only other thing i can think of is the LCA's being mounted in the same geometry?

The ABS pump can have a bracket made for it clearly as the location isn't critical.

Other than that, yes I am interested in a steering wheel, and maybe a rack, but that cost is a high bar to entry especially if you are talking about running a new pump as well and spending 8-900 on that.
Yep. The V2 cradle should bolt right up to the V1 body from a mount location perspective. Some trimming/adjusting of the front (rad support) arms and rear stiffener brackets would be in order (no big deal).

The steering rack V1 to V2 has different mounting holes in X,Y,Z locations so you'd have to run the V2 rack in a V2 cradle. There is also a slight angle change for the steering yoke, so might have to run V2 steering linkage possibly (need further investigation here). I'm trying to find the C-factor difference between V1 and V2 to see if this is worthwhile improvement in response. The V2 LCA's geometry look like they will help in that department too.

The V2 LCA's are in different locations but the hub centerline when combined with the V2 knuckles overlays exactly where the V1 hub centerline is. I need to confirm UCA placement in the V2 vs V1 body to make sure those can bolt up and end up in the right place, then it's a done deal.
Old 06-30-2017, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

What does 'flat' steering wheel mean? Not dished? D-shaped? Something else? Sorry if I'm being dense.
Old 06-30-2017, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by isis
What does 'flat' steering wheel mean? Not dished? D-shaped? Something else? Sorry if I'm being dense.
I believe he's referring to flat bottomed like so:

It's a great feature as you're not hitting your legs getting in and out of the car.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There is already a guy on v1 facebook page doing flat bottomed steering wheels with multiple leather/suede/stitching options for less than that.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:27 AM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Tuckin15s
There is already a guy on v1 facebook page doing flat bottomed steering wheels with multiple leather/suede/stitching options for less than that.
I got rid of Facebook 8-9 years ago when they started selling user information (I was already unhappy with the signal-to-noise ratio), so I'm not going to go look for that wheel. If you'd be so kind as to post a picture, I'd appreciate it.

I don't stand to earn a dollar from either of my projects, so this offer is simply for people that want to jump in on a revised wheel done correctly. If the guy on Facebook has an good product, I might reach out to him. I've got three V1 wheels here (in addition to my own wheel) to provide to vendors as needed.

The four things I'm pursuing on the wheel project are: reduced outer diameter, flat bottom, defined thumb notches, and additional thickness without making the grip profile round like you often see when people add padding to OEM wheels.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 on the lack of Facebook, don't see a need for it, and really don't understand people using it to sell products.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:42 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
....You're never going to be allowed on my forum or learn any significant details on anything I ever do--I don't forgive or forget. Enjoy what you can get while I'm bored and/or too busy to work on my website....
Much like Fuzzy administering his own forum, i think the guys who started the CTS-V Facebook group did so because they can control who uses it....unlike this forum, disagree with the powers that be and be banished for it....
Old 07-03-2017, 11:11 AM
Teching In

I'd be down for a rack. Was going to go the caveman route with a quickener but this would be a lot better.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
I got rid of Facebook 8-9 years ago when they started selling user information (I was already unhappy with the signal-to-noise ratio), so I'm not going to go look for that wheel. If you'd be so kind as to post a picture, I'd appreciate it.

I don't stand to earn a dollar from either of my projects, so this offer is simply for people that want to jump in on a revised wheel done correctly. If the guy on Facebook has an good product, I might reach out to him. I've got three V1 wheels here (in addition to my own wheel) to provide to vendors as needed.

The four things I'm pursuing on the wheel project are: reduced outer diameter, flat bottom, defined thumb notches, and additional thickness without making the grip profile round like you often see when people add padding to OEM wheels.
I'll get you a picture.

Originally Posted by rjoffe
+1 on the lack of Facebook, don't see a need for it, and really don't understand people using it to sell products.
People use it to sell products on vehicle specific pages, it's no different than this forum really.

Originally Posted by ls1247
Much like Fuzzy administering his own forum, i think the guys who started the CTS-V Facebook group did so because they can control who uses it....unlike this forum, disagree with the powers that be and be banished for it....
There are two v1 pages on facebook one that is ran by a real doucher who happens to be on this forum for burning his car down or some ****. The other one is ran by a dude who could give two ***** if you argue with him.

Quick Reply: Group Buy Feeler: Flat Steering Wheel and Fast Ratio Steering Rack