Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Cleaning headlight lenses...

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 01:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cleaning headlight lenses...

The headlights on my 2006 CTS-V look and work fine except for what is clearly moisture and dust/dirt accumulation on the inside of the lens. I'm wondering if anyone has removed the lens from these headlights and, if so, whether there is any particular method or watch-out associated with doing it. I would like to pull the headlight assembly, remove and clean the lens and then seal and reinstall the lens.

Anybody done this?

Thanks in advance,

Howard
Seattle

Old 09-05-2017, 09:24 PM
Staging Lane

Well, this is done. My son said "Dad, I don't think all of this is inside the lens". So we bought a restoral kit and guess what? They cleaned right up. In addition to learning how to better examine the lenses I also learned that a portable drill just won't match the polishing effectiveness of a much higher speed corded drill. No pictures but the first one turned out nice and the second one - used the faster drill - turned out great.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There was originally a UV protective coating on them that degraded over time. Polishing them removes that coating entirely. You'll want to re-clear coat them with another UV protective clear coat. Otherwise, they'll turn yellow again in a hurry (although Seattle may not be as hard on them).
Old 09-06-2017, 02:08 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks. The restoration kit provided for sand, sand, polish and UV coat/seal. They say the UV coating will last about a year. To your point, maybe longer here in Seattle.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just have a body shop clear them definitely worth the money in my opinion
Old 09-06-2017, 07:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used the rattle can clear on mine, the rustoleum 2x clear, suppost to be non yellowing, uv resistant and made for plastics. Worked great but only lasted a year in the fl heat, the tops started flakeing and peeling. Now im haveing a hell of a time trying to remove the rest of the clear that i put on there, cause i put about 5 coats, so this time i will just strip them and polish them and not do a clear, and just try to polish or wax them every carwash. But i got to get a sander or something first to get this crap off that i put on lol, nothing but a Pita

Quick Reply: Cleaning headlight lenses...