Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Elusive water leak into cabin...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 12:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I remember that piece goes under the cowling, partially, I am not removing my cowling again but here are the parts I can see from standing outside on the right side of the car looking in with the hood open. It looks like it can only fit one way. Sorry it is rather dirty. Been five weeks since I washed the car.

Name:  5PJS4kx.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  201.5 KB
Name:  qKg9M5W.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  429.9 KB
Old 09-27-2017, 01:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ha ha, it looks great. V owners are justifiably particular about the appearance of their ride.

Thanks for the picture. It is helpful and I'm now certain what I need to do and how to do it. How often does that happen?
Old 09-27-2017, 01:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Remove those front three little bolts holding the cowl, and you can re-insert that piece correctly. (you can see one of them in a photo)

Last edited by kra86; 09-27-2017 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:18 PM
Staging Lane

Got it -- thanks.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Solution

Sounds like you might have already found your issue and got a resolution path forward.

However, I had the same issue and it was in fact a clogged drain on the passenger side. I simply opened up the sunroof and used a heavy fishing line to clear out the drain. Didn't want to use anything heavier in fear of separating one of the internal connections.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:36 AM
Staging Lane

@nixc5...

Thanks for your post. I'm a believer in the notion that if you haven't found the cause then you should expect the problem to reoccur. That's where I am right now. Since all four sunroof drains are clear and unrestricted (I used a weedeater line to check) with full flows then the water must be getting in somewhere else and since the only other place that would result in water dripping from the top of the dash is the windshield that's the next thing I'm gonna check. Eastlake Auto Glass in Bellevue will test the windshield with soap suds along the outer edge and high pressure air from the inside. That's where I'm going next.

Unfortunately the clutch failed -- clutch pedal went to the floor and stayed -- and its in the shop until the middle of next week. I'll get the windshield checked afterwards and will update this thread then.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Forgot to metion, check on the drivers side footwell, neari the center console, pull the carpet back a lil bit and u will see a drain tube for the ac, sometimes those clog up too and will leak inside
Old 09-28-2017, 11:07 AM
Staging Lane

Hi Mike and thank you. That's one of the things we've done. We removed the hose from the condensate drain pan and fished line through it -- forward and backward -- and blew air down the drain hose as well as back into the drain pan itself. Didn't see or feel any evidence of obstruction. I can see evidence of water "tracks" on the aluminum mounting bracket for the air bag so it appears that it is coming from somewhere much higher than the location of the condensate pan. You would assume A-pillar (sunroof drain clogged) or windshield. We've eliminated the sunroof as a source.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:31 AM
Staging Lane

Just an update to close this thread out. We left the A-pillar trim off so we would be able to see if water was coming down from the sun roof. It's now been driven several times in the same conditions as when we had the water leak without any indication of any kind of leak of any size whatsoever. I can only conclude that in one or more of the drains that I reamed out there had been some sort of obstruction that had dislodged without my notice. My assumption [for now] is that it fell out or got washed out and the problem is solved. At any rate we put everything back and buttoned it up last night. Absent a smoking gun I guess we'll just keep our fingers crossed. Its Seattle after all -- there'll be plenty of ongoing testing.

Thanks all for your help with this and I'll consider it [mysteriously] solved.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Sounds like you got it. I just recently solved mine, a wet back passenger seat. I had two leaks in the same area:
1. a pinched hose behind the OnStar module (I think a sunroof drain)
2. a gasket not properly inserted for the psgr taillight harness penetration - this was the main one. Water was pooling in the spare tire well, overflowing forward into the seat when I hit the brakes. It was a mess to clean properly!
Good news: It's now right with a ton of new sound deadening and all jute is gone.
Glad you got yours solved!

Quick Reply: Elusive water leak into cabin...