Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Squeaky Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 02:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaky Brakes

So a couple weeks ago I changed my brakes thinking it would be an easy task ,which it was. But I heard a squeak so I took them off and fixed the first one one of the back plates on the pads was bent. But after I fixed that one it squeaks again. It is only when I come to a slow stop say at a stop sign , moving in traffic, or at a drive thru. Only at slow stops if I hit the brakes decently hard it won't squeak. It is driving me crazy I've had the brakes off atleast 5 times since and I can't get it fixed. I thought I fixed it the last time I did it cause after re assembly I drove it and nothing. But then the day after it was back. I broke in the brakes the way I thought I was supposed to when I first installed them. I don't know what is going on I've regreased them everytime. Is the grease only supposed to go between the pad and the metal plate or does it go in the middle and where the plate gets touched by the pistons. I do not know I'm stumped I can change a cam in a car but I can't seem to change brakes. Thanks
Old 12-02-2017, 01:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Put the brake grease on the back of the shims where the pistons contact them. (Since you've already run them, the pistons have most likely left marks on the shims, so it's pretty easy to see where to put the grease.)
Old 12-02-2017, 02:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
Put the brake grease on the back of the shims where the pistons contact them. (Since you've already run them, the pistons have most likely left marks on the shims, so it's pretty easy to see where to put the grease.)
I did though I wonder if it was not enough
Old 12-02-2017, 10:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

What pads are you running? Some pads are just prone to squeal, no matter what you do.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Try bedding them in. I've had to do that before to get them to stop squealing.

Quick Reply: Squeaky Brakes