Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Fun Day at MorePerformance!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 08:59 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I moved back to Houston.
Old 09-17-2004, 06:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Performance

Originally Posted by Vettin Man
PLEASE READ AND HEED---I have a very good friend of mine who had More Performance build a 427 for his Corvette. He has had all kinds of problems with the engine from the word go. MORE knew very well that they were gving him a piece of crap engine too because they even admitted to having several problems when they ran it prior to giving the final product to him. This guy is a complete car guy too, having several Corvettes as well as many other preformance cars. I would be more than happy to give you his phone number if you IM me. I would hate to see anyone else get treated the way he has. It has cost him tons of money to have this engine built, rebuilt, and continually worked on and STILL its not right. MORE Performance (what a play on words) has screwed him royally and doesn't care. Don't go there!!

And MORE Performance folks...I know you will see this so I will say this to you...screwing your customers WILL catch up with you in the long run.
I don't generally get involved in this kind of goo, but I do take offense at these uninformed remarks you have made about one of the most honest, brightest, trusting individual I have ever known. His integrety is his soul and he knows and conducts himself that way.

I am the Controller at More Performance. I retired from UNC Charlotte after 28 years service, last 8 years as Comptroller, in May 2000 and went to work for Mike on a part time basis. I am also a former IRS Agent. I am also a Vietnam War veteran, USAF 1966-1970. I say all of this to give a hint as to my "tuning", know and obey the laws of this country and do the right thing. Not trying to be upity, just a part of who I am. If Mike didn' have the same "tuning", I would not be working for him. "Screw him" is not a part of More Performance's soul or its mission. "Screwing" our government entities as it relates to taxes and environmental issues is also not tolerated either. We obey the laws even if we don't understand them or like them.

Second point, More Performance might have made a gross profit of $2,000 on the engine you are referring to because of the labor hours and quality control that went in to building the engine you are talking about. I see the invoices, time sheets, the overhead, etc. In group discussions we saw this as a great opportunity for the owner and ourselves. He outruns everyone, he wins and maybe we win. It would take a complete idiot to not see this opportunity.

Third point, "I would hate to see anyone else get treated the way he has" The owner you are referring to was treated with respect during the entire process and given more unproductive time than an accountant would like to see. This is not a non-profit organization and in this case it almost turned into one.

Fourth point. I watched one of the engine dyno pulls, the last chasis dyno pull and everything was good. I interacted with the owner when he picked up the car the first time and drove away. Engine cold, running good, he makes a blast down the street.

Question. Why isn't the owner posting complaints? Passing responsibility on to someone else? Something to think about.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:23 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Bryan Wilkinson
Ok Obviously you didnt understand what I was saying and didnt read the earlier post. Lets have a small discussion about oil and its properties. Oil is rated by a Viscosity Index. You can review this for yourself by going to any oil manufactures web site. But to save time I will briefly discuss.

Mobile 1 5w-30 has a VI of 165
Mobile 1 10w-30 has a VI of 145
Mobile 1 0w-30 has a VI of 175
Royal Purple 5w-30 has a VI of 161. So much for the hype on this stuff.Everything else they have is less than this.
Red Line 5w-30 has a VI of 153 What a joke.
Red Line 5w-40 has a VI of 170, getting better. This is the best they have.
Amsoil 0w-30 has a VI of 196.

This is not stuff that I am making up. It is fact. All oil is government tested and you can see the specs on each companies site.

What do these numbers mean, they mean that the higher the number the more stable the oil is at its extreme temp range. Thus, if 10w-30 was put in the engine. He goes racing, The oil gets hot. It starts to thin out. So now he does not have the protection he had before and hince the low oil pressure. The oil pump had absolutely nothing to do with him losing pressure. I know this because I have first hand experience with this and I was just sitting in traffic. When I started the car, the idiot gauge was reading 75% pressure the was an accident on the interstate and as I sat after drving the car on the interstate, the oil Pressure dropped over the course of 60 miles down to about 25%. When I got stuck in stop and go traffic, the if I reved the engine the oil pressure came back up. but when I let off it was back down till finally it went into the red and cut the car off because the computer was protecting the car. After letting the car cool down for 2.5 hours, it was back up to 75%. Theory Proven. I am now using Amsoil and no longer have the problem. Do not even try to dispute any of this, it will not do you any good. fact is fact. Don't get all excited about this either, everyone that I have talked to about it, knew absolutely nothing about it.

Now back to him driving, he is at the track. Racing his car, oil is heating up, pressure is droping. Making the situation in the engine bad enough because he is racing. Hes not watching the gauge, because if he was he would have stopped. Any intelligent person racing their car, should be watching their oil pressure. Hince the reason for having all of those gauges in the car. They are not suppose to be just for looks. So now the belt comes off. Being that I do not know what his configuration was I will assume the belt driving the crank. If the belt came off and was at any RPM now the pistons are not under any type of control. What I was saying is that the rod could have been semi damaged at that point. Low oil pressure and belt coming off at high RPM. Then he wasn't finished, GO READ HIS EMAIL, he turned around and put the belt on and took off racing again. The Low Oil Pressure should have been enough to get him to stop and have it checked out. I can't believe any one would expect a shop to be resposible for this kind of stupidity.

Lets look at the facts.
1. He left the shop with a car that the computer had not finished going throuhgh the learning cycle.
2. I can almost guarentee he got on it before he got home, not allowing the engine to go through the 500-1000 mile burn in period for the rings and bearings.
3. He goes to the track, assumed that his oil pressure was ok, and went racing, probably without any type of oil pan with trap doors, his oil getting hot and getting thin. He's not looking at the gauge, and a belt comes off. The belt probably came off due to a resonance vibration at 4200RPM, and with oil pressure low and the belt coming off, probably caused a problem with a rod. so now he puts the belt back on, returns to racing, and boom.

No matter how many differnt way you or anyone else including himself talks about this, the fact remains and the main purpose of this thread was, he had an engine built, didn't upgrade the rest of his car to support the power, oil pressure ran low, he broke a rod and now he and everyone else thinks that More Performance should repair his engine due to his stupidity at no charge. NOT ONE SHOP ANYWHERE IN THE UNITED STATES, CANADA or ANYWHERE ELSE IN THE WORLD would warranty his motor because he was RACING.

I truely hopes that this indeed clears this matter up for everyone. Lingenfelter, MTI, nor anyone else would cover it. Lingenfelter has a 2 year, 24000 mile warranty on their engines, but read the fine print, racing is not included.

Have a nice day.
I could sit here and pick apart your post as uninformed rhetoric, but I find it much easier and more fulfilling to believe you are a politician. As this much bad information could only come from such a person.

I've read your posts in this thread and you are standing up for someone that isn't you. STOP your arguments are flawed and you are making your "knowledge" or lack there of all too well known.

Case in point
So now the belt comes off. Being that I do not know what his configuration was I will assume the belt driving the crank. If the belt came off and was at any RPM now the pistons are not under any type of control.
Since when does an inch and a half wide piece of vulcanized rubber control a mass of steel rotating at 5000+ rpm?

In all i see your point of trying to back a shop that has done good work for you, but endless diatribe consisting of opinions and incorrect facts are not the way to do it. I'd try "hey these aren't bad guys please don't knock em" next time.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:24 AM
Staging Lane

OOps holy old thread that is what I get for searching the archives through google for a sheet metal intake...
Old 01-04-2007, 10:19 PM
Staging Lane

i got lucky and got a car already done up with rear end,cluth,tranny,402 iron,callies crank,and billet mains.....ect....20k in reciepts excluding the price of the car,it made 525 to the ground.grabbed her for 16.since then iv been waiting for a solid year and 12k into getting my twin turbo setup done.its in its final stages now,and just needs some downpipe fabing and proper tuning.......has anyone waited that freakin long for there ride?..granted he is a friend and very busy for one man to be on the project,but holy ****.......should be 900hp at 15lbs of boost,and well over 1k with the race fuel and 25 lbs.ill most likely **** myself And enjoy it on my first rip down the street.any input would be appreciated......oh yea...any.. shop who ***** me over........would be burned to the ground.....this country is in shambles because of thoughtless people,and the ******** who run it.....so if im coughing up 20 or 30k to have some fun,and keep my mind off of sad reality......then some company screws me.....ill run a dude over ya know......
Old 01-28-2007, 10:01 PM
TECH Regular

What happened to this place?
Old 01-31-2007, 08:57 AM
TECH Addict

Gone.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:17 AM
TECH Regular

Did the guys go under?

I heard good and bad things.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i heard they went out of busness,and Nick Willams bought all there stuff,and opened Willams Performance,u know NW90 TB.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:34 PM
Teching In

BRYAN! I TOTALY AGREE. THERES NO SHOP THAT CAN GARRENTY U ON A HI PER ENG. AND IF THEY SAY U SHOULD UPGRADE, FOR THE SAKE OF YOUR MOTOR , U SHOULD. aLSO THANKS 4 THE INFORMATIVE INFO ON OIL VISCONSITY, I LEARNED SOMETHING................
Old 03-04-2007, 06:46 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up

Bryan! I Totally Agree. No Speed Shop Can Garentee That None Of Their Eng. Builds Will Never Have A Problem. And If An Experenced Eng. Builder Suggest To You That You Should Up Grade, Than For The Sake Of Your Motor, You Should. Also Thanks For The Informative Info On Oil Visc, I Learned Something
Old 03-04-2007, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck buddy! keep us posted on your build
Old 03-05-2007, 08:15 AM
Bad Trader Warning!

My head hurts now!

Quick Reply: Fun Day at MorePerformance!