Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Replacement of intake "tube?"

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005 | 11:29 AM
On The Tree

Default Replacement of intake "tube?"

Have any of you replaced the curved plastic intake tube (the one from the TB to the filter)? It has a couple of huge creases in it and has to be somewhat restrictive. There must be a "home depot" fix that still looks good...
Old 02-05-2005 | 02:03 PM
Launching!

What you need is the FFV from StealthV engineering:

Go to : http://www.stealthv.nitro-nights.com/ffv_maf-back.htm

Best money you ever spent and engineered for the car (which I dont think you can say about a pipe from home depot)

Reed
http://www.cadillacfaq.com
Old 02-06-2005 | 11:13 AM
Staging Lane

Default Air tube replacement

With due respect to Stealth for his research, I decided to combine a Lingenfelter cold air intake with a replacement air tube. It seemed to me that Stealth's product could be duplicated using off-shelf-componets.

What you need to do this is as follows:
1. One 90 degree rubber hose elbow 4" reducing to 3.5"
2. About 18 inches of steel or alumuinum tubing 3.5" in diameter. 18 inches will be too long. You might get by with one foot, but I err on the side of caution.
3. One 3.5 inch "hump hose".
4. Additional hose clamps. Stealth's clamps are elegant, but unnecesary. A simple hose clamp will do the job nicely.

I got my materials from Air Flow Systems, Inc. http://www.airflo.com/. I suggest you call them rather than relying on their online store as the 3.5 inch tubing is not listed on line. 800.762.9876.
Old 02-06-2005 | 11:31 AM
GTP
Teching In

Originally Posted by Rey Kirkman
With due respect to Stealth for his research, I decided to combine a Lingenfelter cold air intake with a replacement air tube. It seemed to me that Stealth's product could be duplicated using off-shelf-componets.

What you need to do this is as follows:
1. One 90 degree rubber hose elbow 4" reducing to 3.5"
2. About 18 inches of steel or alumuinum tubing 3.5" in diameter. 18 inches will be too long. You might get by with one foot, but I err on the side of caution.
3. One 3.5 inch "hump hose".
4. Additional hose clamps. Stealth's clamps are elegant, but unnecesary. A simple hose clamp will do the job nicely.

I got my materials from Air Flow Systems, Inc. http://www.airflo.com/. I suggest you call them rather than relying on their online store as the 3.5 inch tubing is not listed on line. 800.762.9876.
Agreed, StealthV's product is way overpriced for what it is. This looks like a good solution until K&N comes out with a FIPK for this car.

Aaron Lephart
Old 02-06-2005 | 06:06 PM
Launching!

Here's a little advice - to top off your home-brewed kit, drop a K&N panel filter in the stock air box for the best performance.

Overpriced? Our wonderful government takes 42% of the profit. From the R&D investment over four months testing different prototype setups, I've yet to make a dime from the intake kits.

What you are buying from the few dollars I do make (once my R&D is paid off) is my knowledge that the FFV kit will out perform any cone-style filter with a divider panel. There's a secret why and that is my intellectual property. Spend the money and find out why for yourself.
Old 02-06-2005 | 06:40 PM
GTP
Teching In

Originally Posted by StealthV
Here's a little advice - to top off your home-brewed kit, drop a K&N panel filter in the stock air box for the best performance.

Overpriced? Our wonderful government takes 42% of the profit. From the R&D investment over four months testing different prototype setups, I've yet to make a dime from the intake kits.

What you are buying from the few dollars I do make (once my R&D is paid off) is my knowledge that the FFV kit will out perform any cone-style filter with a divider panel. There's a secret why and that is my intellectual property. Spend the money and find out why for yourself.

42% of 300% markup still does'nt seem that bad, even for a "educated" person like yourself.

Your knowledge of CAI's is useless. You have yet to come up with a ideal or even unique solution to a problem. Oh wait my bad, you do sell fuel bib's on your website! HAHAHAHAHAHA

Aaron Lephart
Old 02-07-2005 | 10:40 AM
On The Tree

When I said "home depot", I really meant "home brew." I have done many over the years that looked as good as OEM, and worked better. I will check out your suggestions. Thanks guys.
Old 02-07-2005 | 09:14 PM
GTP
Teching In

Originally Posted by carpe dm
When I said "home depot", I really meant "home brew." I have done many over the years that looked as good as OEM, and worked better. I will check out your suggestions. Thanks guys.
Whatever you decide, please be sure to let us know your results! Dyno information is helpfull to all if you plan on going through the trouble.

Aaron Lephart
Old 02-11-2005 | 09:08 PM
Teching In

Does a 3.50 rubber hose fit over the MAF? The one on my V is 3.75" OD.

Also, the stuff from airflo is okay for the MAF end. I would worry about the TB end. It could get pretty hot there.

Tony
Old 02-12-2005 | 03:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

AirFlow's 90 degree elbow is actually a piece engineered for Mustangs. It can handle the underhood temp's fine and has so far for me.
Old 02-18-2005 | 07:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by StealthV

holy rip off batman.
dude, it shouldnt have costed that much to develop that., just smooth out the intake, its not quantum pyhsics

here are the hose clamps for $3.50 each
http://www.racepartsolutions.com/det...UCT_ID=RPS9222

get the other stuff from airflo-online or by phone, or you could get silicon hose, but the 4-3.5" right angle in silicon will be pricey

Quick Reply: Replacement of intake "tube?"