Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Switched power source for radar detector?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 11:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switched power source for radar detector?

I have tried EVERY suggestion on all the web sites and still have to manually turn on/off my Valentine 1. I thought I had a source that powered down with the vehicle, but I guess I was just kidding myself. I also found that there is a panel behind the ashtray, so I can't get in there. I would just like to find an easily accessable power source that will go on/off with the ignition. Any ideas? When they finally print the service manuals for the '05, perhaps it will become clear. Thanks for you help.
Old 03-05-2005, 06:48 PM
Launching!

The valentine 1 source on the FAQ DOES power down with the vehicle but it stays on a bit after you get out of the car. See the FAQ answer on the RAP system. It does take a few minutes up to 20 probably for it to go off AFTER you turn off the car.

If you are looking for another source. The cigarette lighter is a source (behind the AC unit). I have plugged into this for my Cell phone car kit and it works great. HOWEVER. you need to put in the additional FUSe (that GM left out- about $7 if your delaer wont give it to you free) and move the fuses for the cig lighter in the fuse box over to the "alternate port."

See here: http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/accpower.html

E-mail me if you still have any questions and i will try to help.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ctsvett

If you are looking for another source. The cigarette lighter is a source (behind the AC unit). I have plugged into this for my Cell phone car kit and it works great. HOWEVER. you need to put in the additional FUSe (that GM left out- about $7 if your delaer wont give it to you free) and move the fuses for the cig lighter in the fuse box over to the "alternate port."

See here: http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/accpower.html

E-mail me if you still have any questions and i will try to help.
This will work on 04's but not on 05's
Old 03-06-2005, 08:25 AM
Staging Lane

What general area are you trying to get the wires to?

You can run it off of the orange wire coming out of pin 5 of the ignition switch. That wire is only hot in "ON/RUN". The pink wire going into the DIM (dash integration module) in pin A2 of the second connector is hot in "CRANK" and "ON/RUN".

Those are two options. Those are the first two that came to mind around the dash area.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02Hawk502
What general area are you trying to get the wires to?
You can run it off of the orange wire coming out of pin 5 of the ignition switch. That wire is only hot in "ON/RUN". The pink wire going into the DIM (dash integration module) in pin A2 of the second connector is hot in "CRANK" and "ON/RUN".
Those are two options. Those are the first two that came to mind around the dash area.
Thanks! I will try to find the "orange" wire.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Slow35th
This will work on 04's but not on 05's
You are so right; I have tried this!
Old 03-06-2005, 03:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by carpe dm
You are so right; I have tried this!
Hard wiring in as per the instructions on www.cadillacfaq.com will work on an 05 however, when you open the door your radar detector will come on and it will have about a ten minute shut off delay when you leave the car.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:30 PM
TECH Addict

i know this is a different topic, but since its similar in nature....well here goes..

I had my dell phone charger plugged nto the rear 12v plug... I left it plugged in four about two days, but i rarely used the charger itself...

Anyways, i noticed that when i di try to plug the phone it again, it didnt start charging. I plugged the charger in the on by the "ashtray", under the ac and it light up and suddenly died.

So, i checked the fuse and noticed that the appropriate fuse was blown (dude, these fuses are tiny...cant get a grip on it!! I later noticed that there was a fuse puller...WOW that was cool...now i now what 50k will get ya....lol!!)...

Anyways, i havent relplaced the fuse but has anyone have this happen. Also, since 12v plugs are still active after the ignition is off, could this of overloaded the plug therefore burning her out?

thanks in advance....
Old 10-21-2005, 02:39 PM
Teching In

under the back seat drivers side there is a fuse panel the fuses on the lower right side of the panel are on ignition on and off when ignition is off it is very simple to run the wire under the carpeting and moulding i wired my valentine and g tech this way
Old 10-24-2005, 01:03 AM
Launching!

weird the fuse blew.. could be a fluke.. i would only be worried if it happened again...

there are instructions on how to get power for accessory devices near the center stack: http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/stackpower/

Reed
Old 10-31-2005, 11:14 AM
TECH Addict

yeah, i haent had a fuse go yet but i havent kept the charger on all day. Im thinking that maybe the old charger was bad and shorted the circuit, but will keep this up in he air though i dont think its a big deal or recall status.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:16 PM
Teching In

I have mine wired into the ceiling light so V1 can be permanently mounted above and to the right of mirror (have to stay off dots in windshield), and will go on and off with key switch. I had a pro do this as an extra ($30) when they were installing DVD screens in headrests and DVD unit behind rear seat armrest.

BTW, this is 4th vehicle I have had V1 hardwire set up this way and it has always worked.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by obZidian
i know this is a different topic, but since its similar in nature....well here goes..

I had my dell phone charger plugged nto the rear 12v plug... I left it plugged in four about two days, but i rarely used the charger itself...

Anyways, i noticed that when i di try to plug the phone it again, it didnt start charging. I plugged the charger in the on by the "ashtray", under the ac and it light up and suddenly died.

So, i checked the fuse and noticed that the appropriate fuse was blown (dude, these fuses are tiny...cant get a grip on it!! I later noticed that there was a fuse puller...WOW that was cool...now i now what 50k will get ya....lol!!)...

Anyways, i havent relplaced the fuse but has anyone have this happen. Also, since 12v plugs are still active after the ignition is off, could this of overloaded the plug therefore burning her out?

thanks in advance....
Where are those fuses located? I had the exact same symptoms. I assumed that it was a blown fuse. But I not sure where the fuses for the outlets are located. The FAQ sais there's a fuse box under the hood, but it sais they are 20A and 30A which doesn't seems like they would be tiny fuses. Can someone please direct me to locating those fuses please?
Old 11-21-2005, 03:29 PM
Launching!

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/accpower.html

The picture in the top of the link above is the underhood fuse box and shows the location of the fuses for the cig lighter...

Reed
Old 11-21-2005, 05:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ctsvett
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/accpower.html

The picture in the top of the link above is the underhood fuse box and shows the location of the fuses for the cig lighter...

Reed

That is a big help m8. What model fuses are these? Would this be something that I can simply pick up from RadioShack? I suppose the colored tabs are the fuse holders. I'd really appreciate some feedback on this. Thanks.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:23 AM
Launching!

These fuses are available at ANY autoparts store and most likely radio shack too.. Pull one out and bring it in, they can help you out...

There is a little tool to help you pull them out as well. there may even be some spare fuses in the box.

Reed
Old 11-22-2005, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

Bigfeat, sorry about not replying, this thread slipped my mind.

Yeah...well, an update. I replaced the fuse and had the charger plugged in for a few days in and it still running fine. Before the fuse replacement, i replaced my charger and it appears that the charger itself was the problem.

Good luck to ya.....

Quick Reply: Switched power source for radar detector?