Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

2nd rear end

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 06:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd rear end

3279 miles on it, the rear end will be replaced again. at 1700 miles it was howling pretty bad, so it was replaced due to excessive wear on ring and pinion gear. at 3279 miles it completely went out to the point where i would be flooring it, and going nowhere. Whats ironic, is that i have NEVER launched the car. Yes, i've hit hard second and 3rd gears, but i have not launched that car once...This is starting to get a bit frustrating

Ben
Old 07-03-2005, 08:30 AM
Launching!

Ben

I would believe a poor ring and pinion set up is your problem. Try another dealer. If you are hitting second hard enough to get wheel hop then install an aftermarket kit to reduce the hop. Wheel hop is very tough on the rear end parts.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:24 AM
Teching In

If you blow the rear is it a complete assembly swap like a vette or do they just rebuild the old one? Possilbe to get 4:10's on the swap, or purchase a build one and have the dealer install it?
Old 07-03-2005, 12:10 PM
Launching!

The entire rear assemblies are replaced as a unit.

There aren't too many dealers I'd trust to change my oil, let along crack open and setup a new diff.
Old 07-03-2005, 03:00 PM
On The Tree

I get all the work done at Sewell Cadillac around here in dallas. they're the "best" dealership in the city. The first time around it was a bad ring and pinion gear setup, this time the tech said he thinks i broke the half-shafts. But im stuck without my V for probobly at least the whole week since the July 4 they are closed I dont understand how it can just snap in half like that off a 2nd gear scratch! kind of sad

Ben
Old 07-03-2005, 05:25 PM
Teching In

This rear probem is starting to scare me, I like to drive my cars hard and the vettes I have had could take it. There has to be a solution to this issue.
Old 07-03-2005, 05:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rjgraham
This rear probem is starting to scare me, I like to drive my cars hard and the vettes I have had could take it. There has to be a solution to this issue.
Starting to scare you? ****...2 rear-ends in 3200 miles scares me. My car isn't even modded, and its never been launched! When I want to accelerate hard, I will feather it from about 1800-2 grand. In my humble opinion, 50,000$ worth of car shouldn't snap in half from hitting second gear with a purpose. If its supposed to do 4.6 0-60, and explodes everytime I try to do it, I want my damn money back. This is a load of horse crap, and what's more frustrating is this is the ONLY damn car on the market that happens to be exactly what I want. It looks like I'm at GM's mercy here...

BTW, for those of you with FG2, does it wheelhop as bad or worse?

Ben
Old 07-03-2005, 07:04 PM
Banned

That Sucks. I Am Making 500 Hp To The Wheels Right Now On Mine And Am Installing Nos To It Also This Week. I Have A 1000 Km And (knock On Wood) It Is Still Holding For Now Anyway,

Dallas
Old 07-04-2005, 09:28 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 02 Tahoe on 20s
Starting to scare you? ****...2 rear-ends in 3200 miles scares me. My car isn't even modded, and its never been launched! When I want to accelerate hard, I will feather it from about 1800-2 grand. In my humble opinion, 50,000$ worth of car shouldn't snap in half from hitting second gear with a purpose. If its supposed to do 4.6 0-60, and explodes everytime I try to do it, I want my damn money back. This is a load of horse crap, and what's more frustrating is this is the ONLY damn car on the market that happens to be exactly what I want. It looks like I'm at GM's mercy here...

BTW, for those of you with FG2, does it wheelhop as bad or worse?

Ben
Me too, it has taken me almost 8 months after selling the Z to find this car.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:21 PM
Teching In

hey 02 Tahoe on 20s we gotta talk, I am on my fifth rearend and considering lemon law
when i complained to GM they told me to bad, its the way I drive
Old 07-14-2005, 07:16 PM
Teching In

Default class action, anyone?

Guys, I'm not a lawyer fan, but this is an unacceptable situation.

My car(2005) has 4300 miles. At 3400, I took it in, complained about the rear end clunk, and asked them to check the diff.

They measured the pinion lash at 3x spec, "checked the gear oil:OK", and were told by the area service manager(who will not talk to me) that
"it's a normal driving characteristic of the vehicle".

I do my own race car work. I put it on my lift, pulled the diff fill plug, and black lube ran out. The bottom magnetic plug was covered with grunge.
I then drained my wife's BMW 30,000 mile diff:crystal clear(yellow), just to prove a point. Took the oil and shop rag of goo to the service manager.
"Well, it's synthetic oil."

Are these supposed to be acceptable answers?
Old 07-15-2005, 12:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rjboniface
Guys, I'm not a lawyer fan, but this is an unacceptable situation.

My car(2005) has 4300 miles. At 3400, I took it in, complained about the rear end clunk, and asked them to check the diff.

They measured the pinion lash at 3x spec, "checked the gear oil:OK", and were told by the area service manager(who will not talk to me) that
"it's a normal driving characteristic of the vehicle".

I do my own race car work. I put it on my lift, pulled the diff fill plug, and black lube ran out. The bottom magnetic plug was covered with grunge.
I then drained my wife's BMW 30,000 mile diff:crystal clear(yellow), just to prove a point. Took the oil and shop rag of goo to the service manager.
"Well, it's synthetic oil."

Are these supposed to be acceptable answers?
Absolutely unacceptable. I have grown to expect this kind of ringaround from chevrolet with my tahoe's broken tranny which was apparently caused by the 20s...but thats another story. Cadillac should sure as hell not be talking back to us when we've spent 50,000$ on our cars and have to have rearend components replaced every 1500 miles. This is absolutely obsurd. There was a post that I made a few weeks back that was subject "every black cloud has its silver lining" and one of the replys was a web forum thread that had over 200 replies and 18000 views. my suggestion is to print that out and either mail it to general motors, or hand it to the owner of the dealership NOT just the service manager. Regardless, this is absolutely unacceptable.

Ben
Old 07-15-2005, 01:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

only thing that is holding me back from a V!!!

especially if i want to add some mods to it
Old 07-15-2005, 06:12 PM
Teching In

Your lucky i'm on my #6 rearend at 26k miles.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:59 PM
Teching In

$50,000 I wish, I had to have the first one(like a dummy)and I spent $64,000
and as far as luck I have also had the a/c go out, the charging system go bad,
the radio broke, leaking waterpump, and power steering pump changed, and not to
metion that damn oil temp chime going off for the first 3 months i drove it.
oh and my mirror fell of the door.
Old 07-16-2005, 03:12 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Blk Cts V
Your lucky i'm on my #6 rearend at 26k miles.
I would consider a lemon law if you could in your state.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 Tahoe on 20s
Absolutely unacceptable. I have grown to expect this kind of ringaround from chevrolet with my tahoe's broken tranny which was apparently caused by the 20s...but thats another story. Cadillac should sure as hell not be talking back to us when we've spent 50,000$ on our cars and have to have rearend components replaced every 1500 miles. This is absolutely obsurd. There was a post that I made a few weeks back that was subject "every black cloud has its silver lining" and one of the replys was a web forum thread that had over 200 replies and 18000 views. my suggestion is to print that out and either mail it to general motors, or hand it to the owner of the dealership NOT just the service manager. Regardless, this is absolutely unacceptable.

Ben
my wifes suburban with 165k on it - rear end is fine other than 2 axle bearings and worn axles at 152k its basiacally the same 8.5" rear too wonder what they have changed?
Old 08-02-2005, 09:59 AM
TECH Addict

Good lawd. Im still on my first rear, and im spraying the **** out of it. Hopefully it wont go anytime soon. There has to be a upgrade coming out soon to keep GM outta trouble with all the V owners.