Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Dyno Run today part 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006 | 05:39 PM
Banned

Default Dyno Run today part 2

O.K. Here it is. I went to the Vette doctors today and spent a few hours there with Ace996. Cool guy by the way!
Well last week I went to the dyno and posted my results. They were 372RWHP/352RWTQ. Not bad. This was Stealth V's tune. Not shabby by any standards....
But I did notice that it was running a little rich and felt that it could make a little more power if only it was a little leaner.

The Stealth V tune was dynoed first for a baseline. It pulled 364.9HP/349.5TQ. Obviously a little variance between 2 different dynoes, never the less still pretty close.

Then the Doctor went to work and said it was a good mail order tune but he would be able to pull a little more power, not much more but a little more. I was OK with that.

So, first run
364.9/349.5

Last run
377.6/363.9
Attached Thumbnails Dyno Run today part 2-vette-doctors-dyno.jpg  
Old 01-02-2006 | 06:39 PM
Teching In

My $0.02...
Had a great day with Will, nice to see such nice hardware...many procharged Z06s...few C6s too.
Carmen had an "issue" with dealing with the StealthV tune at first, but his kung-fu is good and he was able to tweak the existing StealthV tune on the dyno. There were 3 baseline runs, I think, and then the tweaking started...
OH MY, Wills car on a dyno sounded like the Thunder of Heaven!!!! A few tweaks here, a few pokes there, and the power band rose....
At the end, the gains were there. I asked Carmen how the "box-tune" was, he said it was a good tune, but added that every car is different and the only way to really tell what your car can do is to dyno it. As Will said, 8 tuning runs later...the results speak for themselves.
Will then took me around the corner for a few "test" runs...man'o'man, his V pulls like a booster-rocket...insane take-off, and the sound was incredible...I now know why the headers are such a popular mod!!!!
All in all, it was a great day...we met a very competent tuner, got to see some nice examples of Vettes, and I was treated to a "jet-plane" ride in a newly tuned car. Now...where's my change jug....must have a dyno tune in there somewhere....
-ace
Old 01-02-2006 | 08:46 PM
Staging Lane

Hey, Will, I notice there is no AFR on the dyno slip...where was it running before/after tuning?

WW
Old 01-04-2006 | 04:07 PM
Banned

Wild, I don't have that on my printout. I guess I could probably ask. I was able to see it on the screen though. It looked like I was a little rich on the low end. Not much, but after 5K it really went way too lean. With a few adjustments those are my final numbers.
I guess around 12.8-13.1 all the way through..

The car pulls so friggin hard, I think Ace996 almost flipped out of the seat and landed in the back!
I drove home and was using 5th gear to acceleraten and pass people, I had to keep looking down to check the shifter because I thought i was in 4th.
Old 01-04-2006 | 04:56 PM
TECH Addict

great numbers....That sounds like a nice day...Had a good time with ppl of like minds and getting your car to run a bit quicker just adds to the excitment....

Just interested in seeing that a stealth tune is not as bad as some ppl say it is... you quite a health power increase and some added features which really makes this car more enjoyeable or provide a better peace of mind.

Your numbers are quite shout and i would like to know what kind of mods, beside the already mentioned headers you have so far. I suspect you also have an exhaust, maybe a B&B....

good work!!
Old 01-04-2006 | 05:52 PM
Staging Lane

DOES anyone know a good tuner with V experience in miami.
I've seen a few dyno tuner shops but none with previous cts-v or ls6 experiece
Old 01-04-2006 | 05:57 PM
TECH Addict

im in miami!!! But i dont tune cts-v. You can go the stealth route which IMO isnt that bad of a choice.

However, i have a good friend that is a tech moderator and tuning grandmaster from ls1tuning that lives down here. IF we can getour hands on a hptuners, im sure he can help us out...

if you want to meet, let me know...my name is angel and my number is 305 951 2449

LaterZ!!
Old 01-04-2006 | 06:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by obZidian
im in miami!!! But i dont tune cts-v. You can go the stealth route which IMO isnt that bad of a choice.

However, i have a good friend that is a tech moderator and tuning grandmaster from ls1tuning that lives down here. IF we can getour hands on a hptuners, im sure he can help us out...

if you want to meet, let me know...my name is angel and my number is 305 951 2449

LaterZ!!
Nice...I like to hear people speaking about self-tuning!!! I ordered HPTuners last week and expect to have it any day. I plan on tuning my car myself, on the road, and then a dyno to see how I've done. There are several of "us" out here...those that want to share, grow, and learn how to make our cars run better/stronger/faster. Without a doubt, a StealthV tune is a good option if you're not into dyno tuning the car or working on a tune yourself. I am very confident that with the help of a few friends, there will be a "free" tune available that will be comparable to any "box-tune" available...of course, by free, I mean you'd need HPTuners to load it.
Its gonna take time, money, and more time to make the tweaks necessary...but hopefully this idea will catch on, and like the F-body guys and Vette guys, we'll have a good group of "self-tuners" working together and a base of tunes that will help someone along the way on their tuning journey.
The beauty of all this is that one can change from tuned to stock to tuned in minutes, reducing the chances of a dealership voiding a warrantee due to a tune. That in itself is worth the $500 for HPTuners, IMHO.
Of course, after all the base tuning stuff is accomplished...a quick trip to the dyno will allow one's car to make the power that is available to that specific car.
Good luck with the tuning, and please let us know what happens...

Knowledge is power,
ace
Old 01-04-2006 | 08:41 PM
Banned

Obzidian, I have B&B headers, gutted cats, Headers are wrapped with Thermotec Cool it wrap. B&B 3" exhaust, X pipe version, LPE CAI, with Stealth V intake tube, and dyno tune.
Old 01-06-2006 | 01:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by willsctsv
Obzidian, I have B&B headers, gutted cats, Headers are wrapped with Thermotec Cool it wrap. B&B 3" exhaust, X pipe version, LPE CAI, with Stealth V intake tube, and dyno tune.
not bad at all.....She should drive like a bat out of hell!!! Well, with alittle whine...
Old 01-06-2006 | 01:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ace996
Nice...I like to hear people speaking about self-tuning!!! I ordered HPTuners last week and expect to have it any day. I plan on tuning my car myself, on the road, and then a dyno to see how I've done. There are several of "us" out here...those that want to share, grow, and learn how to make our cars run better/stronger/faster. Without a doubt, a StealthV tune is a good option if you're not into dyno tuning the car or working on a tune yourself. I am very confident that with the help of a few friends, there will be a "free" tune available that will be comparable to any "box-tune" available...of course, by free, I mean you'd need HPTuners to load it.
Its gonna take time, money, and more time to make the tweaks necessary...but hopefully this idea will catch on, and like the F-body guys and Vette guys, we'll have a good group of "self-tuners" working together and a base of tunes that will help someone along the way on their tuning journey.
The beauty of all this is that one can change from tuned to stock to tuned in minutes, reducing the chances of a dealership voiding a warrantee due to a tune. That in itself is worth the $500 for HPTuners, IMHO.
Of course, after all the base tuning stuff is accomplished...a quick trip to the dyno will allow one's car to make the power that is available to that specific car.
Good luck with the tuning, and please let us know what happens...

Knowledge is power,
ace
im with ya!!! It seems that since the tuning required on these modern day machines also required you to learn a whole new language, most ppl just stay away and pay for a service that can be had be just anyone with the dedication to achieve it.

Also, since a tuner does put in a significant amount of time/money into learning the software, parameters, etc... it is only human nature to charge a "small" fee for services rendered. That is just a fact of life which i can live with. My biggest issue is when you ask a question on a particluar tune paramater, on a forum, for example, you'll get a good explanation but mostly just a vague idea on how to get it done. When you ask, ok, how...thats when the posts stop cominb because the of the competition which no one wants to give out there secrets.

Well, here is a secret.....if you learn the language and put it all into perspective.....ANYONE CAN TUNE!!!!! there is no secret...buhahahahahahha!!!!

Now, i really like the features that the stealth tune comes with and i would like to get this tune and see where i can ge from there since it is a quite "responsive tune." I have never seen the tables on a cts-v so a good starting point is a great way to figure how to get the job done....

good luck..it would be sweet to have a few downloads for tuners to get a into the self-tuning thing, but im sure we will run into sme kind of trouble since it is looked as a business tool and when ppl lose money....well, we know what may happen...

Quick Reply: Dyno Run today part 2