Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

The Official CTS-V Pic Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 02:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by raven154
Looks like part of your tuning issues are coming from the vacuum leak you've got going on. I see you are still running a MAF but you're pulling fresh air for the PCV from the atmosphere and not post MAF. That fresh air needs to come from the intake tube after the MAF. That might help a little. Since your car is an 05 it didn't come with the nipple in the intake tube since the original TB had its own. 06-07 intake tubes (stock and aftermarket) had a nipple in the tube for fresh air. I had to add a fresh air port on my tube after I switched to the LS2 90mm TB on my LS6.
Are you sure about this? I was under the impression LS3's did not have a PCV valve. Also, there is no line pulling from atmosphere. I have the breather port from under the intake manifold plumbed into the intake manifold right by the NW throttle body. If this is incorrect can you please better explain what is wrong with my setup? I do not have a stock motor still, it is a LS3 crate motor from Thompson Motorsports so maybe that is where the confusion is?
Old 05-18-2016, 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

They do not have a PCV valve but they still have a PCV system. They way yours is set up you are pulling in air from the valley via the catch can. But where do you think that air is coming from? Its coming from the breather on the passengers side valve cover. That is unmetered air entering the engine and will cause all kind of tuning issues. IF you had an
SD tune this setup would be fine, but with the MAF still in place, any air that goes into the engine needs to be drawn through the MAF.

To correct your setup all you need to do is run the passengers valve cover to a nipple on the intake tube after the MAF. This way the air that is being pulled into the engine through the crankcase is metered. Obviously the car will need to be retuned after this since you've tuned the car with a vacuum leak.

Last edited by raven154; 05-18-2016 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

^^^ Exactly correct. Open breathers on a MAF car are a bad idea. I can't say that it's responsible for all of the tuning issues you've had, but it certainly isn't helping. The fact that a tuner didn't immediately identify that as an issue makes me wonder ...
Old 05-18-2016, 11:17 PM
TECH Addict

You can see this red line that I added. Just route the hose from the valve cover to the intake tube. I would think about doing the swap with CaptSlow if he's willing or simply adding a nipple is easy and cheap as well.
Attached Thumbnails The Official CTS-V Pic Thread-cb39acb2-5d55-45b9-ac99-9f96a902a4e1.jpg  
Old 05-19-2016, 11:37 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for clarifying that, I understand what you are saying now. Never really put 2 and 2 together and realized it was pulling air through those breathers, but not sure where I expected it to be coming from, lol.

My remaining question then is, what about the breather on the drivers side valve cover? Do I need to do something with that also, or just leave the breather on there?

PM sent about swapping intake tubes...
Old 05-19-2016, 12:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SE-R Spec
Nintastio, first off great looking car and one hell of a motor!

You will never have stock like drivability with that big of a cam. It will always buck or surge a little creeping along at low rpm. I had a 251/259 .650/.650 112 cam in my goat and I will probably never go that big again because of the drivability. Just keep it around 2k rpm and you will be smooth. Just the life of owning a big cam

EDIT: sounds like that was a third gear pull on the dyno as well. From my experience, you do pulls in 4th
Somehow this post slipped through and I never read it. But thanks for the compliments and there is a good possibility the low end surges can't be tuned out completely because of the cam, but I think there is room for improvement beyond how it is now. Hopefully other members here are on to something and my vacuum/catch can routing is incorrect.

The dyno pulls were all done in 4th gear since it is a perfect 1:1 ratio.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:36 PM
TECH Addict

I didn't notice the second breather but I see it hiding back there now. Yes that needs to be capped off as well. Or tied to the other line going to the intake tube. Just depends on how you want to do it.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:05 PM
TECH Addict

Any updates on the car Nintastio?
Old 05-26-2016, 09:22 AM
Staging Lane

Any updates on the car Nintastio?
Nothing yet, I'm waiting to see about swapping intake tubes with another member here.

Then I also want to put a catch can between the intake tube and the lines I currently have breathers on. I don't want the inside of my intake covered in oil, but I'm a bit tight on cash right now to get it done very quickly.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:54 AM
Staging Lane

Just got word from Capt Slow that he shipped out the intake tube so I should have that here in a few days.

I was planning to run both the valve cover breathers into a catch can, then from catch can to the intake. Three port catch cans aren't very popular, so should I just bite the bullet and over pay for a 3 port? Or just T the valve cover breathers together before the catch can and get a normal two port catch can? Sorry if that's a stupid question but just want to make sure I've got this correct since I thought I already did and was wrong.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

You only need a catch can between the vacuum port and the valley. The hose going into the intake tube from the valve covers is there only for fresh air so you wouldn't be pulling any oil in from those lines. When the engine is running its sucking air out of the intake tube into the valve covers. From there it goes through the crank case and out of the valley via the suction hose from the intake. On its way it's evacuating all the oil vapors from the crank case. That's why the catch can goes between the valley and the vacuum port.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:50 AM
Staging Lane

You only need a catch can between the vacuum port and the valley. The hose going into the intake tube from the valve covers is there only for fresh air so you wouldn't be pulling any oil in from those lines. When the engine is running its sucking air out of the intake tube into the valve covers. From there it goes through the crank case and out of the valley via the suction hose from the intake. On its way it's evacuating all the oil vapors from the crank case. That's why the catch can goes between the valley and the vacuum port.
Okay thanks for clarifying that. I currently have a small amount of oil that comes out of the passenger side breather though. Wouldn't it have to over come the vacuum put on the intake tube to be able to push air out that tube to the valve cover breathers? Seems to me like it would be pulling air from the valve covers into the intake tube?
Old 05-26-2016, 01:17 PM
TECH Addict

I believe it's only leaking oil because of the current way it's setup. Once setup correctly, oil wouldn't have a chance to come up those because that is where the fresh air is coming in at.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:30 AM
On The Tree

Recent one...

Old 05-27-2016, 10:29 AM
Staging Lane

I believe it's only leaking oil because of the current way it's setup. Once setup correctly, oil wouldn't have a chance to come up those because that is where the fresh air is coming in at.
Okay, awesome. I think I finally understand the system as a whole now. Thanks again for helping a noob out! Going to take it back to the tuner after I get everything switched around and hope he has an easier time getting everything dialed in now.
Old 05-27-2016, 01:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by spin2nd
Nice. Are those Mallet wheels? They look great.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Nice. Are those Mallet wheels? They look great.
Indeed.

I randomly found them on eBay a few years back for an amazing price. 19x9 all around...I've never seen the wide rears come up anywhere. I'd love to find/make those fit.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Indeed.

I randomly found them on eBay a few years back for an amazing price. 19x9 all around...I've never seen the wide rears come up anywhere. I'd love to find/make those fit.
How wide tire on rear?
Old 06-01-2016, 10:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 88BlackZ-51
How wide tire on rear?
I run 265/35/19 Pilot Super Sports on all 4 corners. I wanted square for handling but I've kicked around the idea of widening the rears to go larger.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

I run 265/35/19 Pilot Super Sports on all 4 corners. I wanted square for handling but I've kicked around the idea of widening the rears to go larger.
Ok. They look wider!

Quick Reply: The Official CTS-V Pic Thread