Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Mod. Warranty Questions???

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 01:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mod. Warranty Questions???

What is going to void my 100,000 mile $0 Deductible Warranty?? (sorry for the ignorance I'm new to this)
I wanted to put an Exhaust, CAI, Shorth Throw Shifter, BMR Kit, Sound System, and possible chip work.

Thanks In Advance
-BiGMike
Old 02-23-2007, 03:03 PM
Teching In

Hello,

Installing Corsa exhaust will not void your warranty, installing headers may affect your warranty, installing a chip will void your warranty, sound system would void certain warranty (such as factory nav), not sure if a short throw shifter would affect your warranty. Nitrous will void your entire engine warranty. A supercharger installed by GM Performance Center will NOT void your warranty at all.

Basically if any modifications done to the car "may" have lead to the problem for which you are brining in your car will void the warranty for that item.

For example if your car is running hard and you have a chip installed, Cadillac is not going to fix the problem under warranty.

Hope it helps...
Old 02-23-2007, 05:17 PM
Staging Lane

A supercharger installed by GM Performance will NOT void you warranty??? How's that when you're adding like 100+ HP/TQ to your car? Everyone knows including GM that the rear end sucks so when it breaks they will replace it?
Old 02-23-2007, 05:17 PM
TECH Resident

Everyhting Except For The Chip.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no "chip"
Old 02-24-2007, 01:28 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by stkshkr
There is no "chip"
Correct

It varies from dealer to dealer - some are mod-friendly, some are not.

Here is some potentially helpful info:

http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?ID=8124
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act

Old 02-24-2007, 02:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by VSERIESCADILLAC
A supercharger installed by GM Performance will NOT void you warranty??? How's that when you're adding like 100+ HP/TQ to your car? Everyone knows including GM that the rear end sucks so when it breaks they will replace it?
If you take your CTS-V to a Cadillac dealer or GM Performance Parts center to have the supercharger installed it will NOT void any part of your warranty. Confirmed this with Cadillac and GM already. If you had it installed anywhere else it may potentially hurt your warranty.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:13 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always recommend talking to your dealers service rep/manager. Some dealers have really opened their eyes to performance mods, and work with customer's on honoring warranties. With most dealerships seeing less service work coming in to their shops, due to cars no longer really needing tune-ups on a regular basis, dealerships now welcome warranty work. Bob
Old 02-24-2007, 09:53 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the help guys!!
Old 02-25-2007, 12:10 AM
TECH Regular

Like Bob said - dont listen to everyone else. This is an age old question and very easily answered.

What voids your warranty? Your local service manager - thats it.

Basically go to your local dealership and get to know the service manager. Let him know what you plan to do and ask him what he can honor. Now you may have to fork over a few more $$$$ to have the Caddy dealer install a few things- but in the longrun you will have piece of mind in your 100K warranty when you rear falls out ... I mean when "something" were to happen.

Also - chip? No chip. Buy a single version of HP tuner and play with your tables ....just kidding dont do that. I did it once - big mess.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:08 PM
Teching In

Thanks Guys For All The Great Info!! I Have Two More Questions Though....I Bought The Car From Atlantic Cadillac-Long Island, New York Area....I'm Thinking Of Going To Paul Conte Cadillac Also On Long Island For All My Services. My First Question Is Anyone Have Any Comments About Atlantic or Conte? The Second Question Is Has Anyone Had The Lingenfelter Intake Installed By Their Service Manager? Thanks In Advance!!!
Old 02-26-2007, 01:51 PM
TECH Regular

I cant comment on the intake specifically I do know you should be able to install it yourself and I cant for the life of me, other than really tearing up the MAF, think a CAI will cause warranty concerns.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:49 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the advice on talking to the service manger. I been up there getting some warranty work done a few times now and told him I was just going to buy a ford. lol After getting to know him better I showed him a list of several things I would like to do but I didn't want to void my warranty. He said he would check on it for me and when I picked my car up the next day he told me he would NOT void my warranty for any of it. Even if I didn't have them do the install. (short throw shifter/maggie/flywheel and clutch/headers...ect.) "AS LONG AS I DON'T SAY I WAS RACING"...........
Old 03-07-2007, 12:41 PM
TECH Regular

Enjoy your soon to come new found power
Old 03-07-2007, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the advice on talking to the service manger. I been up there getting some warranty work done a few times now and told him I was just going to buy a ford. lol After getting to know him better I showed him a list of several things I would like to do but I didn't want to void my warranty. He said he would check on it for me and when I picked my car up the next day he told me he would NOT void my warranty for any of it. Even if I didn't have them do the install. (short throw shifter/maggie/flywheel and clutch/headers...ect.) "AS LONG AS I DON'T SAY I WAS RACING"...........
You may want to get this in writing, as most dealers will not replace a blown engine with a MagnaCharger sitting on it.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:33 PM
Staging Lane

I have faith in my dealer.....lol Actually most business people here are honest and stick by their word. I don't live in a big city, maybe 15,000 people so if you lie and bullshit you WILL go out of business (well, the limited amount of business we have to offer). It's not like I don't know where he lives..... I talked to him about the magnacharger and he knows the problems with the V. I'm sure they welcome all the warranty work they can get with the limited amount of business around here.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MY06CTSV
If you take your CTS-V to a Cadillac dealer or GM Performance Parts center to have the supercharger installed it will NOT void any part of your warranty. Confirmed this with Cadillac and GM already. If you had it installed anywhere else it may potentially hurt your warranty.

now does it have to be a gm pre-approved part or is it something that you can purchase any sc and as long as gm installs it you're good to go?

b/c the later seems like it would open them up to a whole slew of liabilities.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:56 PM
Staging Lane

that's good to know. thanks for the info. i've buddied up with one of the caddy parts guys, but i suppose it's now time to butter up the service manager

luckily, i haven't had to take the car in for anything yet. but it's still very new (to me)
Old 03-08-2007, 12:57 PM
TECH Regular

I'm sure they welcome all the warranty work they can get with the limited amount of business around here.

You make a good point. Looking at the number of "wear and tear" work done today compared to 3 years ago - I am sure it's significantly less. With that being said a "slow" service area would be happy to knock out some warranty work.

Remember the better you build a car the better for the customer and not so much the mechanics.

Quick Reply: Mod. Warranty Questions???