Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Oil Usage?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 08:29 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Oil Usage?

I'm looking to get a V hopefully sometime in the not so distant future & I was wondering what kind of oil usage people experience with both the LS6 & LS2. I know it was "acceptable" for my LS1 to use a quart of oil (sometimes a quart & a half) between oil changes. What's normal consumption for these cars?
Old 11-13-2007, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

37k on mine and virtually no usage at all. New Mobil 1 every 3-4k.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:57 PM
TECH Regular

I've been doing a lot of reading in other forums that use the LS6 & LS2 & it seems that it's really just luck of the draw as to whether or not it'll use any oil.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

no usage on mine either.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:00 AM
TECH Regular

I was talking with a V owner at the dealership the other day who had an 04 that used 1/2 a quart between changes. He wreched that car after 6 months & now has an 05 that doesn't use any. I guess since there's not a lot of talk about it, it might not happen that much?
Old 11-17-2007, 06:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Smile Oil Consumption

The my 05 had no measurable oil usage when it received it's heart transplant, but it was still relatively new (7825 mi.).

It's replacement (LS7 w/aftermarket internals) uses no oil so far, even through the break-in period.

The relatively high rod ratio (1.53 for a 4" stroke with a 6.125 rod) and the accompanying cylinder wall loading (read: piston, cylinder and ring wear) are about as far as I would want to go in a street motor that I'm expecting reasonable long-term durability from.

A stock Z06 has even less at 1.51 and although I feel that this was mainly an effort to get the pin out of the ring land area (and maybe a slight reduction in rod weight), but it's still in marginal territory.

I think that if you're going to stay relatively stock, you'll be okay.

Although it may be applicable with used (and some new) vehicles, I don't believe that "the luck of the draw" applies with regards to modified motors, it's more an issue with assembly procedures, poor oil control in the cylinder head area and component selection.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scatillac
... I think that if you're going to stay relatively stock, you'll be okay.

Although it may be applicable with used (and some new) vehicles, I don't believe that "the luck of the draw" applies with regards to modified motors, it's more an issue with assembly procedures, poor oil control in the cylinder head area and component selection.
Assuming that the oil usage is primarily a past-the-rings mechanism (as opposed to valve stem seals), the cylinder loading observation is a good one.

However, wouldn't those same manufacturing procedures and component selection issues be present in the original manufacturing environment just as they would in an after-market setting albeit to a (hopefully) much lesser extent and thus contribute to a "luck of the draw" situation with completely stock engines? (Geez, hope that made sense.) I say that because I've heard of a few (stock) LS6 owners mention that their engines do exhibit some oil usage (a quart from oil change to oil change) and figured that they have an inherent tolerance stack up issue where the cylinder loading has allowed more oil usage OR the other big, uncontrolled variable is involved: those guys are running their engines at much higher throttle (i.e. cylinder pressure=cylinder loading) and RPM (cylinder loading cycles) conditions than the rest of us.

In other words, the guys with higher oil usage just might be beating the ever-living snot out of their motors and this has very little to do with original manufacturing quality control issues (i.e "luck of the draw").
Old 11-17-2007, 09:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I haven't notice any on the '04 LS6

Quick Reply: Oil Usage?