Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

CAST not FORGED piston for the 2009 CTS-V??? Is this WRONG or is GM crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 04:59 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAST not FORGED piston for the 2009 CTS-V??? Is this WRONG or is GM crazy?

I HOPE what I'm reading is false about the 2009 CTS-V.
But, I believe everyone is saying that the 2009 CTS-V comes with CAST pistons.
Is GM really using CAST pistons???

If that's true, I think GM is CRAZY for not using FORGED pistons on a factory car running forced induction.
Why not buy a Pontiac G8 and just add a twin turbo or twin screw blower if you are going to get stuck with cast pistons with the CTS-V?

My biggest complaint is that GM didn't offer an OPTION for AWD on the CTS-V.
4,300 pounds, wet roads, and loss of traction is too much for me on a $50,000 car.
I think that a AWD CTS powered by either a LS3, LS7, or LSA would have been the ULTIMATE daily driver.
It's a shame.

The only good thing I can think of is the cast pistons are part of a cost cutting initiative to maintain the original CTS-V's MSRP.
If they have redesigned the CTS-V with forced induction AND a drivetrain that won't EXPLODE, while maintaing the same MSRP as the original CTS-V, then GM will have a winner in climates that don't have to deal with cold and wet seasons.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

How much would it cost to switch to forged pistons if it does, indeed, come with cast?
Old 01-14-2008, 06:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are set up to last and be very durable from the factory boost levels and tune. But it will be easy for them to catch people that are messing with them as it will show the weak point on the engine. If you add more power, you just have to pull the engine apart and put in better pistons and rod bolts. We got to pay to play. Hell at least they are making supercharged engines now... It could be worse and the ctsv be cancelled indefinitly or it remained an N/A 6.2L.....
Old 01-14-2008, 06:25 PM
TECH Resident

The hypereutectic pistons are quiet where forged pistons arent (because of their density). So on a luxury car like this one they went with the quiet piston. At 550hp I think it's stupid to risk it, but it wasnt my call, lol.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GrahamHill
At 550hp I think it's stupid to risk it, but it wasnt my call, lol.

What the hell was GM thinking?
I would never buy a new car that had F.I. without forged pistons.

I will always be pissed that GM did not offer an AWD CTS with a LSx based engine.
A LSx engine should have been the optional engine in the case CTS and the 3.6 DI engine should have been the base engine.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:27 AM
Banned

Could this be a drivetrain protection issue? If GM uses forged pistons, it could allow aftermarket tuning to ridiculous levels endangering the survivability of the tranny and differential.

We saw this with the Lotus Esprit V8. There are a number of us who think Lotus used cast pistons on the Esprit V8 engine (about 350-400HP) to prevent Esprit V8 owners from turning up the boost to protect the transmission which was pretty much at its design limits. Considering the 4-cylinder Esprits were being tuned to 400HP, the potential HP of the V8 was well beyond what the tranny could handle IF there were forged pistons to handle the boost.

Feff
Old 01-15-2008, 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i agree.

I agree.

I agree.

Nothing you can do about it though...so, take it for what it is... spend 1000 bucks on parts, and another 2000+(probably closer to 4G's) for labor/various things...and be happy that they are what they are,...which is a supercharged V8 rear drive cadillac.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:47 AM
TECH Resident

As ive said elsewhere, the rear in this pig will grenade LONG before the pistons, lol...
Old 01-18-2008, 01:15 AM
Banned

I hope that you are wrong.
GM better have learned it's lesson with the last CTS-V and designed the new V with a bulletproof rear.

The original CTS-V isn't in my garage right now because of the weak-*** rear that GM put in it.
It's a damn shame,
because I REALLY wanted that car.

I broke rears on my 100% stock LT1 F-body all the time and I swore that I would never by another car with a weak drivetrain.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:07 AM
Teching In

I feel the pistons will be fine in the car. The Supra crowd has been running stock cast pistons at over 1000whp levels with no issues. The rods usually go before the pistons do unless there is some serious detonation.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GrahamHill
As ive said elsewhere, the rear in this pig will grenade LONG before the pistons, lol...

Hopefully not, as they had 4 years to fix the most annoying issue of the Gen I Vs. Someone, or a bunch of someones, need to get fired if this is the case.

Quick Reply: CAST not FORGED piston for the 2009 CTS-V??? Is this WRONG or is GM crazy?