Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metal shaving residue, and concern for rods

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Metal shaving residue, and concern for rods

So I decided to take the windage tray off and take a look at the crankcase for myself. To my surprise for the most part everything looks okay. No bent rods, etc. But what does catch my eye is a few metal shavings I’ve found scattered throughout the crankcase. They are very small shavings, not chunks. Was wondering if this is normal, and also was wondering if the streaks of the wear marks on the camshaft are normal.

On top of that is concern for the bottom end. When we dyno’d this engine it made about 780 HP. This engine has between 100k -110k miles. This motor is a stock bottom end, no ring gap, no rod bolts, stock rods and crank, no main cap studs or bolts, and still has the original factory bearings in it from when it was assembled in 2007.

I found in some old photos that this motor has spun 8k rpms, on top of that has seen a peak of between 20-25 PSI multiple times. I know Gen 3 LS motors are known for bending connecting rods. But also that these SBEs are as tough as nails. Just wondering out of concern for the motor what I should do. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by 66OldsLS; Yesterday at 09:17 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 253 Likes on 194 Posts

I think our definition of shavings differs..
Old Yesterday, 09:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by the_merv
I think our definition of shavings differs..
What’s your definition?
Old Yesterday, 09:28 PM
11 Second Club

Those are definitely chunks of something. Shavings are what you find on a magnetic Drain Plug.
Old Yesterday, 09:32 PM
Staging Lane

Those are definitely chunks of something. Shavings are what you find on a magnetic Drain Plug.
In the 6th photo, the one of the oil pan. The little piece at the bottom of the photo is a little plastic piece. Now for the metal chunk to its upper left is what’s concerning.

Old Yesterday, 09:36 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,615 Likes on 2,214 Posts

Looks fine to me. You’ve got the beefier gen4 rods fwiw. Look…there’s nothing you can do at this point, short of rebuilding with forged internals, to help it last. If it were mine, I’d keep the oil clean and run it til it stops running. Go ahead and find another one and keep it on the shelf for when the time comes. Have fun with it!! Sounds like it’s stout!
Old Yesterday, 09:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Che70velle
Looks fine to me. You’ve got the beefier gen4 rods fwiw. Look…there’s nothing you can do at this point, short of rebuilding with forged internals, to help it last. If it were mine, I’d keep the oil clean and run it til it stops running. Go ahead and find another one and keep it on the shelf for when the time comes. Have fun with it!! Sounds like it’s stout!
I already have an identical LQ4, of which this engine is. Also forgot to mention this does have the 4th gen rotating assembly because it is a late LQ4, specifically the last year of LQ4. Before the 4th gen 6.0 LY6 came around they started throwing 4th gen LY6 rotating assemblies in these late 3rd gen LQ4s from what I’ve researched. In the meantime of this engine I’ll be rebuilding the other 6.0L.
Old Yesterday, 11:28 PM
11 Second Club

I have a 2006 LQ4 in my MCSS, it's what's known as the Gen 3.5. Full floating Rods, Block is setup with both valley and side Knock Sensors, as well as factory 1x Cam Gear with provisons for the Timing Chain Dampener. Considering the LQ9 in 2002 got full floating Rods, it's not a Gen IV thing.

It is what it is, most people forget that little tid bit of LS knowledge.
Old Today, 07:46 AM
Staging Lane

Talking

I have a 2006 LQ4 in my MCSS, it's what's known as the Gen 3.5. Full floating Rods, Block is setup with both valley and side Knock Sensors, as well as factory 1x Cam Gear with provisons for the Timing Chain Dampener. Considering the LQ9 in 2002 got full floating Rods, it's not a Gen IV thing.

It is what it is, most people forget that little tid bit of LS knowledge.
What did i forget? Also very interesting setup youve got, i never heard of the 3.5, guess i learned something new this morning.

Quick Reply: Metal shaving residue, and concern for rods