Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Installed the Katech

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008 | 10:27 AM
Staging Lane

jerrad, have corsa catback, kooks 1 3/4 headers, no cats, lingenfelter cai, katech II, and a tune by Speed Inc.
Old 03-02-2008 | 11:20 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RangerRob
jerrad, have corsa catback, kooks 1 3/4 headers, no cats, lingenfelter cai, katech II, and a tune by Speed Inc.
sounds about like my plans! wouldn't mind a cam, either.
Old 03-02-2008 | 11:37 AM
TECH Addict

Did the kooks make enough difference for the money? I'm with lone wolf, I'd like kooks, cam, and a tune. Then some BMR stuff and a spoiler.
Old 03-02-2008 | 12:38 PM
Staging Lane

the headers were definitely worth every penny, i know tbyrne is having a special right now, but i ended up going through a group buy to have them shipped directly to speed inc. for the install. tbyrne will only ship to the billing address on the card. ended up paying just under 1k for the headers, and i think it was around 350 for the install? i'd have to look at the receipt... the headers exhaust combo makes a pretty sweet rumble! if i can ever get a charger for my camcorder i'll try to post a vid clip. even a small cam upgrade would put me over 400rwhp, that's my next upgrade, although i'm not quite sure on which one to go with...
Old 03-02-2008 | 02:10 PM
Staging Lane

we all must think alike. looking at your numbers with the headers/tune, i don't think you would have to go with a "big" cam to make the 400 rwhp. if i were you, I would just talk to the guys at Speed Inc. again, tell them your goals along with streetability concerns. they will be able to help you with that one. if not, i know the guys at Texas Speed are outstanding with the LSX motor mods. they have a cam package will all the goodies needed and are very easy to work with as far as selecting the right specs for your needs. If not Tx Speed, there are quite a few good shops that will assist.
Old 03-02-2008 | 02:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jerrad
Fred: the katech is awsome and I love it. Very mechanical/positive shift. Some people say the make more noise than UUC but I can't hear much of a diff. and they say the katech has a more positive feel than the UUC. I only have experience with the katech so all I've said about the UUC is just what I've read.
thanks I heard that and already tired of shifting through peanut butter
Old 03-02-2008 | 10:52 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default Shifter noise

I am familiar with the UUC shifter design but we have never tested one ourselves so I can't comment on the noise from it compared to the previous or the current design Katech shifter.

I am guessing that when people say the Katech shifter is noisier, they are referring to the first generation design of the Katech shifter that was a single piece design. Also, they had an aluminum one available for a while and that would transmit more noise than a steel one.

The current Katech CTS-V shifter is a two-piece steel design with a plastic insert in between the two pieces of the shifter. This design gives a significant improvement in noise isolation.

Originally Posted by jerrad
Fred: the katech is awsome and I love it. Very mechanical/positive shift. Some people say the make more noise than UUC but I can't hear much of a diff. and they say the katech has a more positive feel than the UUC. I only have experience with the katech so all I've said about the UUC is just what I've read.

Last edited by Jason Haines @ LPE; 03-02-2008 at 10:55 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-02-2008 | 11:15 PM
TECH Addict

Yes, but I can hear the actual ingagement of the shifter now. It's not constant it's the actual shift then after that it's quite again.
Old 03-03-2008 | 11:18 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by fred's maggie
This is the next change for me. I have never drove a car with such a poor shifter since the 60's Mopar Inland. Last night I found it doesn't like downshifting to first without hitting second beforehand. Even at a light engaging second before first is a must for a crunchless engagement. Just finding the detents is like working a rubix cube
I hear ya. I was used to doing whatever I wanted in my WS6 MN6...had the Hurst with a WS6_Store Short Stick and Hurst black ball ****. Does everyone have the same problem (in the quote above) with their V? Does the !CAGS and Katech solve this?
Old 03-05-2008 | 02:37 PM
On The Tree

I did a B&M shifter install in about 2 1/2 hours with bushings, no removal of any of the exhaust, most was done from inside the car, only time I was under the car was to bolt it down. As far as noise is concerned it was pretty low and all I really heard was the syncros and it sounded kinda cool.
Old 03-05-2008 | 04:27 PM
Teching In

No installed pics?
Old 03-05-2008 | 09:46 PM
TECH Addict

When I get back to town in a couple weeks I'll take a pic if you want.

Quick Reply: Installed the Katech