Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Installed the Katech

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 09:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installed the Katech

and now I want to kick the caddy engineers in the nuts for putting that god awful shifter in the car first. It's literally a 9867097840674 time increase in fun. You can actually feel the shifter engaging. I also installed the Lindsay bushings and will never go with out a nice shifter again.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:26 PM
Staging Lane

jerrad, talk to me about the ease or hassle of installation/any special equipment needed?...how was it? sounds like the effort was worth it, either way. this looks like my next mod. did u use the stock **** or go aftermarket?
Old 02-26-2008, 11:02 PM
TECH Addict

The only problem we had is that we didn't remove the exhaust because I didn't think it was required. Once we took the exhaust down it was a breeze. It took about 5hrs because of this. If I did it again it would take 3 tops. Guy a 10mm racheting wrench and you'll be set. Thats what took some time also. There are 4 nuts on the top of the shifter and the one thats towards the drivers front was unreal hard to get off with out the ratchet wrench. I used the stock **** but ended up breaking it after I tapped it. I guess we cross threaded it and when it was close to tight I heard a crack and it busted the inside but you can't tell and it still stays on tight. If I were you I'd buy a **** and keep the stocker for yourself or to sale. Any other questions just ask or pm me.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:26 PM
Staging Lane

Did u use ramps to get under the car in order to unbolt the exhaust? or did u put it on a lift? are the linday bushings worth it? thanks for the help...
Old 02-28-2008, 07:46 PM
FormerVendor

yes the lyndsey bushing are worth it..thats one of the main problems of the stock one. The install should only take an hour....And no need to drop exhaust or anything else!
Old 02-28-2008, 10:08 PM
TECH Addict

We used a jack on each side. You can look at the stock bushings and the whole length of the bushing is hollowed out. You can collapse them with your thumb and finger so yeah the Lindsay are way better.

I have to call BS on the hour install time. Also I think it would be close to impossible to install the shifter with out removing some of the exhaust. You could install the bushings only in around an hour but probably a little less.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:40 AM
Staging Lane

i think he meant an hour for bushings only install. either way, thanks for the info. now my only dilemma is where to find a compatible shift ****???? it was suggested to me in another thread that lindsay cadillac might have some that worked. i've been looking for one compatible with the 5/8-18 thread and have not found any. i hope someone can help with this
Old 02-29-2008, 08:42 AM
Staging Lane

How much does this stuff cost? And can I take it into any regular cadillac to get the "Lindsey Bushings" or does it have to be there?

My cars pretty much all stock.. and i love it overall, but it's becoming a challenge to shift it. Especially into 1st and reverse. And I especially love it when I put it in first, take off, and then POPPPPP! the stupid thing comes out and I look like an idiot. I almost wet my pants a few times doing that.

Anyways, whats the cost for this kind of work?
Old 02-29-2008, 10:33 AM
Staging Lane

i think lindsay cadillac is probably the only vendor, but not positive. if u do a search or look at the "lindsay V track day" thread, their main POC is on the forum and can be contacted easily. if you are having trouble with 1st and Reverse, u may need some tranny work done soon...this is not a guarantee or anything, just passing on knowledge i've collected on various forums. might be more than a bushing/shifter issue...
Old 02-29-2008, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

Lindsay is where you buy the bushings from but any mechanic can install them easily.
The shifter was $250 bushings were $35 and I bought the CAGS through Lingenfelter for $18.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:26 PM
Staging Lane

that's what i paid from katech a few weeks ago, ordered the bushings straight from lyndsay. Speed Inc. is installing it and some Kooks Headers as we speak, should have the car at the end of today, can't wait!!!! Now I just need some sunshine and heat to melt all of this snow!!!
Old 02-29-2008, 01:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RangerRob
that's what i paid from katech a few weeks ago, ordered the bushings straight from lyndsay. Speed Inc. is installing it and some Kooks Headers as we speak, should have the car at the end of today, can't wait!!!! Now I just need some sunshine and heat to melt all of this snow!!!
what is speed inc charging for the shifter and bushings install??
Old 02-29-2008, 01:40 PM
TECH Addict

Ranger bob: Get the CAGS if you don't already have it. It's a 2 minute install.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jerrad
Lindsay is where you buy the bushings from but any mechanic can install them easily.
The shifter was $250 bushings were $35 and I bought the CAGS through Lingenfelter for $18.
Well thats not too bad.

Do I just calls Lyndsays # on their website and have them ship them to me?

Also, a shifter/bushings doenst void the 100k warranty right? Is this a DIY project, or do I have to take it in -- and what would they charge?

I'm pretty dumb when it comes to cars.. in fact I dont even know what bushings are. But I do know whatever shifter I have sucks.

Last edited by lordlang; 02-29-2008 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

call Luke at Lindsay to order:

Luke Butler

(703) 647-8670
lbutler@lindsaycadillac.com

Replacing the shifter should only void the warranty on the shifter, not the rest of the car.

Here are the DIY installation instructions, supposed to take about 4 hours:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ifter-top.html
Old 02-29-2008, 11:19 PM
TECH Addict

Luke is who I delt with also. If you know nothing about cars take it in. it's pretty daunting to drill on a 50k dollar car. It will probably cost you $350 to get it installed though. And order the CAGS with the shifter.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:36 AM
Staging Lane

Talking

i paid 150 to get the shifter installed... as for adding the headers, Speed Inc. did a sweet job! dyno and tune, ended up with 373.45rwhp, was out near the streets of woodfield going to see semi-pro, what pulls up next to me? Black BMW M5... he tried showing off infront of his little lady in the passenger seat... , my tires wouldn't grab for ****, but still ended up pulling away from him through each shift until i came up on a car in my lane....
Old 03-02-2008, 12:48 AM
TECH Addict

What all is done Rob?
Old 03-02-2008, 09:34 AM
Teching In

This is the next change for me. I have never drove a car with such a poor shifter since the 60's Mopar Inland. Last night I found it doesn't like downshifting to first without hitting second beforehand. Even at a light engaging second before first is a must for a crunchless engagement. Just finding the detents is like working a rubix cube
Old 03-02-2008, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

Fred: the katech is awsome and I love it. Very mechanical/positive shift. Some people say the make more noise than UUC but I can't hear much of a diff. and they say the katech has a more positive feel than the UUC. I only have experience with the katech so all I've said about the UUC is just what I've read.

Quick Reply: Installed the Katech