Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

CTS-V rotor and brake suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008 | 11:41 PM
On The Tree

Default CTS-V rotor and brake suggestions

It's time for new pads up front and was considering doing a conversion to drilled/slotted rotors and new pads instead. Any suggestions out there?

I found outfits like R1Concepts, iRotors and the like but don't know anything about them. I'm not looking for anything exotic and do like the peformance of the stock setup for the non-track driving I do.

Thanks.
Old 03-08-2008 | 05:52 AM
TECH Regular

I just got some from ebay.....ocautosports....front and rear cross drilled and slotted rotors for 475 shipped...apex ceramic pads...my car stops on a dime now,....there incredible over stock brakes...
Old 03-08-2008 | 06:10 AM
On The Tree

Thanks a lot CTS-V Lee.
How are the Nitto 275's working out for you? I am considering the same to allow for tire rotation versus the 275/40 rear and 245/40 front set-up I have now.
Old 03-08-2008 | 08:49 AM
TECH Regular

Another option is the factory GM cross drilled rotors at $280 a set at Lindsay Cadillac. The stock pads are actually very good (Ferrodo's I believe) but as you know they are dusty. Lindsay offers a Hawk Pad if you don't like the dust.
Old 03-08-2008 | 09:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Big Bu Bu
Another option is the factory GM cross drilled rotors at $280 a set at Lindsay Cadillac. The stock pads are actually very good (Ferrodo's I believe) but as you know they are dusty. Lindsay offers a Hawk Pad if you don't like the dust.
I've got the GM optional drilled rotors, which I purchased from Lindsay. The only reason I purchased them, was because I ran my OEM pads to long, and scored my roteors, so I needed new ones. Lindsay was out of the OEM stock discs, so I got them. So far on 4 full HPDE weekeds, I have no cracking with the drilled rotors. Unelss someone comes out with some affordable, quality 2 piece slotted rotors, I will be going back to the plain OEM's next go around. They really perform well, and are cheap!

As for pads, The stock Ferodos (ht1000, I think), are pretty good. I initially sitched to Hawk HPS's to reduce dusting (which they definately did), but they did not perform as good as stock. I then switched to Hawk HP+ up front, they perform better than stock, dust a tad less, but squeek more. It all depends what you are looking for in a pad. I like them as a daily driver, because my main concern is performance.

Good luck,

Chris
Old 03-08-2008 | 10:36 AM
TECH Addict

When i was at MTI Racings grand prix/track meet a few weeks back i got to sample a few different brake compounds for the V.

That stock pads are worthless for the track or spirited driving. Reese set me up with his "Special" V pads and now i think when i hit the brakes my eye ***** actually hit the windshield for a second..

I was simply amazed when i used them compaired to stock. Before this event, i would have thought the v pads where very nice.. But i was seriously wrong... I wont ever go back to stock pads, and ordered 2 sets of them from Reese and he had them to me in 3 days.. Im realllllly thinking about dumping the spare set onto my SRX, I think that would be kinda scary though as i would have the kids flying into the front seat every time the wife stops.. J/k
Old 03-08-2008 | 11:24 AM
TECH Addict

Any prices waitforme? Do the brake pads wear out noticibly quicker? what about brake dust?
Thanks
Jerrad
Old 03-08-2008 | 11:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jerrad
Any prices waitforme? Do the brake pads wear out noticibly quicker? what about brake dust?
Thanks
Jerrad
Jerrad,

It's all a balance. If you want amazing stopping power, it will come at a cost. More $, more dust, more noise, more rotor wear, higher required opperating temps (i.e. doesn't really work until it hits 250 degrees, which makes for an interesting street experience). You might not get all of that, but it's a balancing act.

Amazing brakes are great, you just have to keep in mind that you are going to have to upgrade other bits of the car to keep up with them. Better high temp brake fluid, steel brake lines, titanium shims, etc. You might not need all of that, again it depends what leevl of performance you are looking for.

High/Max performance summer tires, will outperform the stock pads. After upgrading to HP+'s, my tires were being outperfomed by the pads on the track (Falken RT-615's TW 200). When you brake really hard it generates a lot of heat, but not just in the pad/rotor. When your pads out perform the tires, the tires get too hot to stick properly, and can't decelerate as fast as the pads. Then they are really hot, and making the next turn get's dicey on the track. Having better pads in that situation, isn't really helping all that much.

Are you looking for a nice set of high performance street pads, or are you looking for a track pad?

If you are looking for street, consider the HP+'s. Track, consider what Wait4me is talknig about (I'd like to know what the actual compund is), or a miriad of other track compounds (Ferodo, Crbotech, Padgid, Raybestos, Porterfield, Performance Friction, Hawk.) Luckily since we have off the shelf brembo brakes, we have a HUGE selection of pads to choose from.

Good luck, and let us know what you get, and how you like them.

-Chris
Old 03-08-2008 | 12:33 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks alot for all the info trukk. I probably will never go to a road course so I'm just going to do some aggresive street driving now and again. I'll look at HP+ when the time comes to replace pads. Again, about these pads; do they wear alot faster or produce alot of dust?
Thanks
Jerrad
Old 03-08-2008 | 03:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jerrad
Thanks alot for all the info trukk. I probably will never go to a road course so I'm just going to do some aggresive street driving now and again. I'll look at HP+ when the time comes to replace pads. Again, about these pads; do they wear alot faster or produce alot of dust?
Thanks
Jerrad
Trust me on my set up....they are amazing for the price...good quality also...and my tires are still great...no rubbing and looks really good with the lower profile..these tires hook really good when its warm and dry
Old 03-08-2008 | 04:21 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the suggestion. Any brake dust problems or quick wear?
Thanks
Jerrad

Quick Reply: CTS-V rotor and brake suggestions