Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Looking for a broken diff

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008 | 01:48 PM
Staging Lane

Default Looking for a broken diff

I need a bare case, maybe a set of axles, a subframe would be awesome, but i doubt somebody has one of those laying around. This is going to be a side project that hopefully will be successful and I will be able to pass it on to the V community, so it may take a while. Ive been thinking about buying a V, but the diff thing scares me, so I want to do something about it. Ive got CNC machines at my disposal, so I can make anything needed. Im not talking about a billet case, that is unrealistic as far as prices go for me, and most other people probably. Ofcourse all this stuff will be returned to you if desired, and I would give you the first setup for what it costs me to make.
Old 04-06-2008 | 04:58 PM

u thinking a steel case or modifying a different case to fit mounting for the V ?
Old 04-06-2008 | 05:06 PM
Staging Lane

well ive got a couple different options to explore. i am able to get castings made out of any material, so that will be an option, but the cost of the tooling is very high, so i would have to have a lot of people willing to commit. the other option should be relatively cheap in comparison as it uses an already existing diff that is available in iron or aluminum, with tons of possibilities as far as carriers and gears go
Old 04-06-2008 | 05:14 PM
TECH Addict

There are a couple that have a 9 inch ford center section, their working well. There is another that was CNC'd from aluminum that is doing well too. Just takes $$$$$$ and time.
Good luck coming up with a new idea thats hopefully cheaper. Another route wold be mounting the 09 cts-v rear in the car but will cost around 5k.
Old 04-06-2008 | 07:58 PM

how many guys are running fords? i could get my hands on an 8.8 real cheap, or even ford racing parts at a discount.. working for ford has some advantages lol..
Old 04-06-2008 | 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

I think Madman makes the kit. You might search on here and on other sites for that sign in name and you might be able to come up with something.
Old 04-06-2008 | 08:47 PM
TECH Addict

Look in the thread at the top labeled fix for the cts-v rear and go to page 15. Madman is the first post.
Old 04-07-2008 | 05:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Cleveland Pick A Part has one on e-bay right now. You might be able to give them a call and work a deal. Right now it's at $1250, with a buy it now of 1350. That includes the entire rear subframe. You could probabaly canibalize and resell a bunch of those parts to make back seom cash (i.e. rotors, rear shocks, rear calipers/brakes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/04-07-Cadillac-C...QQcmdZViewItem

They tend to have a lot of CTS-V parts for sale.

-Chris
Old 04-07-2008 | 12:05 PM
Staging Lane

I saw that ebay auction. Ive got the money to get it, Ill have to check around see what I could get for the stuff I dont need to get this going to make it a little easier on my wallet
Old 04-07-2008 | 12:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KagA152
I saw that ebay auction. Ive got the money to get it, Ill have to check around see what I could get for the stuff I dont need to get this going to make it a little easier on my wallet
The best place would be over at the regular CTS forums on cadillac forums. They are always looking for V spec upgrade stuff.

I'd bet you could make a few hundred that way by selling:

1) Rear shocks. If they have a purple outline all the way around the ID sticker on them, they are FE4 shocks (which are a nice upgrade for CTS's), If they are have a purple/black checkerboard outline, then they are FG2's (which would be sought after by both CTS and CTS-V owners)
2) Trailing and toe arms
3) Rotors and calipers. Not a lot of return here, as the rotors usually can't be returned (too thin), and the calipers really last, so not a lot of replacement potential. The CTS guys aren't going to want these either, because they are 6 lug rotors.
4) Sway bar

Thats about it, unless you find someone that recked theri car that is looking for upper and lower control arms (perhaps the CTS guys would buy these ??)

Anyway, good luck. That might net you a few hundred.

-Chris

Quick Reply: Looking for a broken diff