Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Does your engine diesel after turning off?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by big_tugg
I hope testing goes well, I want a set and I am gonna make dealer install
Just head from Lindsay. The first set were too tall, as the did not compress like the OEM mounts. They are going to fab up another set. No ETA as of yet.

Poly Trans mount is in though. I pike the car up on Monday.

-Chris
Old 04-18-2008, 07:10 PM
Teching In

okay....so I got my car back from the Dealer. They said the motor mounts are still good. They said the engine would rock when you shift it hard into second or any shifting (I told them that they better not have been shifting hard...and that shouldn't be a test...its not their car).

Anyways...they said it was normal. So....I don't know...maybe go to another GM dealer or something.

I will try sometime and take a video of it.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by trukk
As everyone has said, it's definately motor mounts.

I'm on my 4th set

Here is a pic of one of them:

UUC has been working on upgraded urathene replacement Motor and Trans mounts, for a long while now. I'm scheduled to test them this week, through Lindsay Cadillac. As of now my appointment is this wednesday. The tranny mount is in, but they hadn't shipped the motor mounts as of Friday.

If the testing goes well, Lindsay indicated the would like to have these on sale by the end of the month. We'll see.

No one else has released replacement mounts for the CTS-V that I'm aware of. One of the "joy's" of owning a very low production car, I guess.

-Chris
Just head from Lindsay. The first set were too tall, as the did not compress like the OEM mounts. They are going to fab up another set. No ETA as of yet.

Poly Trans mount is in though. I pike the car up on Monday.

-Chris
Just had prototype set #2 installed on my car. Very happy with the results. Very little NVH change with the new mounts. You can feel it at idle, but cant hear any difference.

More details & pics here:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...uc-mounts.html

-Chris
Old 05-27-2008, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just had prototype set #2 installed on my car. Very happy with the results. Very little NVH change with the new mounts. You can feel it at idle, but cant hear any difference.

More details & pics here:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...uc-mounts.html

-Chris
fuqin Cady forum!!!! I'm not a member and don't care to pay for a email just to use there site!!!

Can someone please post info here?? I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

two busted at 27K
Old 05-27-2008, 10:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Capown
fuqin Cady forum!!!! I'm not a member and don't care to pay for a email just to use there site!!!

Do you not have an email from your ISP. I always use hotmail and I didn't even know my rr address until I signed up for that board. They don't send emails except for birthdays. So you really don't have to check it.

Jon
Old 05-28-2008, 05:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is my post from over there. I was trying not to cross post this all over the intrawebdubdubdubdotcom. No worries.

Before my impressions, some background:

1) I have a somewhat lumpy cam in my car. It's not 69 chevelle or nascar lumpy, but it's definately "that doesn't sound like a caddy, AT ALL" lumpy. Those at the Summit event can atest.
2) With my cam in the car, and partially split motor mount, the car was rocking like a van on prom night before the new mounts were put in. I was especially having issues at cold start (it even stalled out a few really cold mornings, partially due to the rocking I think (it was that bad)).
3) My car was the KING of KLUNK. I'm not talking about gee my rear front diff bushing is bad clunk, I'm talking give it a little gass while in gear Klunk, pushing in the clutch at anytime Ka-klunk, get the WTF was that look at every klunk from cars near me while driving.
4) You could look at the shifter **** and see it moving approx .25" while idling. It was really rocking.
5) My car is loud. Loud with the windows down, loud with the windows up.

With all that in mind, I was not anticipating near stock like motor mount civility here. With all that said, here is my impressions:

Cold Start: Not done yet, I'll tell you tomorrow.
Warm Start: No initial discernable difference.
Warm idle: The car used to almost shake the transmission out of the car. Like I said above you could visibly see the tranny vibrating all over the place. It no longer does that. Basically the mounts have transfered that to the rest of the car. You can no longer feel it in the shifter (before at idle it would almost dilocated your shoulder), you can feel it some in the steering wheel. It is not pronounced though, but it's there. Definately not the solid mount feel (no visible shake from outside the car at all). Any other V owner could sit in the drivers seat in my car and know it's not stock mounts (may not be as noticeable in a stock cammed car though). If my wife were to sit in it and drive, I don't think she'd notice (like I said it's there but not that noticeable). You feel more connected to the car, but not in a bad way. For those of you with aftermarked shifters and the Lindsay bushings, it's kinda like that, you 'feel' the car more, and it's good. If you already have bad mounts, the difference is NIGHT AND DAY. You will jump up and down for joy once you get these in place. There is no sound difference at idle.
Warm Driving: KLUNK BE GONE! I still have some rear end klunk, but it is 90% less than what I did have. Mine was so bad, everytime you pushed in the clutch, you felt like the transmission was going to fall out. Throttle response feels better/crisper. From April to October, I drive with the windows down in the car. With the windows down, there is no noise difference from the OEM mounts (my car still sound like a really angry sewing machine, that flames are going to come shooting out of at any moment.) I rolled up the windows, and at speed, there is no sound difference with these in there.
Turn Off: My car had the busted mount shudder for sure before (felt like the car was deiseling almost). It is still there, but it's different now. The length is the same, but now it's more of crisper feeling stacatto, rather than that "i just stepping in a pile of dog poo' feeling. It's hard to explain. I think this is a characteristic of the harder material not being able to absorb the shudder from engine stop as well as fully functional OEM mounts, with thier liquid center. I can absolutely live with this.

Bottom line:
- No noise issues
- You will 'feel' it but it is a good more connected feel, and not bad.
- The 'feel' is realy only their at idle. Normal driving feels the same as before.
- If you already have bad mounts this is a monumental no brainer
- If you liked the 'feel' that an aftermarket short shifter with the stiffer bushings gives you, you will like this mod.
- My guess is that the LS6 guys will feel it a tad bit more than the LS2 guys, since the LS6 cam is a bit more lopey from the start.

Sorry to get all 'feely' on you guys, but it's hard to explain. It also reminds me of when I went from FE4 to FG2 shocks, you just felt more at one with the car.

I'd love to have a few locals take my car for a spin, and give their impressions. Anyone in mid MD area want to meet up, let me know. To all, keep in mind that my car is cammed, so for you stock guys, yours will be even less noticeable than mine.

I COULD NOT BE MORE HAPPY.

I'll chime in tomorrow with how the cold start goes.
-Chris
Old 05-28-2008, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Glad I read this, i'll add it to the growing list of dealer fixes while the car is under warranty.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
Do you not have an email from your ISP. I always use hotmail and I didn't even know my rr address until I signed up for that board. They don't send emails except for birthdays. So you really don't have to check it.

Jon
I use Yahoo so they wont let me set it up with a free email company.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I use Yahoo so they wont let me set it up with a free email company.
But you don't have an ISP provided email. Like AOL, Roadrunner, etc...

Like I said I use hotmail exclusively, but I still had my roadrunner account just to sign up with. If you don't have that then oh well, but it's worth the hassle if you can pull it off. You can get more cadillac specific info over there, forum discounts on any GM product, plus its more happening in there than it is in this cadillac forum. Though, the technical info on LS1tech is untouchable.

Jon
Old 06-11-2008, 08:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by lordlang
Has anybody ever made a video of it doing this? here or on cadillacforums.com???
It is funny to me that you mentioned that. My 81 Eldorado shakes quite a bit after I turn off the key and I know its the motor mounts. It's still running strong though!

Quick Reply: Does your engine diesel after turning off?