Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

I can't take it anymore... i'm turbo'ing my V

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Bird WS6
i have done turbo ta's and camaros and vets. no stock LS6 will take more then 600 horse. should be easy with around 8-9 psi. i am going to do a build on mine once i get TA finished.but right after manifold is best palce. and if you can just do a single.
1 to Go. 2 for show.
Worst case, i have to swap heads sooner rather than later. Right, i'm looking for functionality. I do plan on going with a front mounted 76-80 Turbo.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:17 PM
Banned

look at all the sts guys. i know sts is not good. but the 60 and 67 trim does great on these ls1 cars. now you(cts-v) have ls6 motor. meaning better heads and cam. if you want a throw it on system i would leve you heads. do a 67 trim single. right where the driver or passenger cat goes. link the exhust together and feed it to the intake. make 5-9 psi and you will have you 600ish horse. and a hell of a car. motor will take it and so will trany. now the rear end is the only problem.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

look at all the sts guys. i know sts is not good. but the 60 and 67 trim does great on these ls1 cars. now you(cts-v) have ls6 motor. meaning better heads and cam. if you want a throw it on system i would leve you heads. do a 67 trim single. right where the driver or passenger cat goes. link the exhust together and feed it to the intake. make 5-9 psi and you will have you 600ish horse. and a hell of a car. motor will take it and so will trany. now the rear end is the only problem.
Damn. My buddy (one with the TT GTO) has a 60 layin around, but he said that would only do like 500. And I agree with... if you're going to turbo something, you dont want anything H/C/I being able to keep up. So I want 600.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:55 PM
TECH Addict

I'll swap you my logs for your long tubes.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jerrad
I'll swap you my logs for your long tubes.
i already have some of those
Old 08-22-2008, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

You wont need the headers though. It'll slow spool time.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

You wont need the headers though. It'll slow spool time.
They'll be forsale Unless you have a T76 turbo laying around you can trade ha ha
Old 08-22-2008, 02:21 PM
TECH Addict

I have a tiny one from my buick. You can use it to feed the 76. lol
Old 08-22-2008, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a tiny one from my buick. You can use it to feed the 76. lol
Ahhh... might be best to stay on the buick.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:25 PM
TECH Addict

The buick has its' bigger brother in there. Now I just need a bigger one to use since I put the new heads on.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

My buddies LS2 corvette with meth, APS TT's made 750RWHP.....It is stupid fast......I don't see way you can't get close to that. Stock motor....
Old 08-23-2008, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all, I agree with the observation that you won't be able to turbo your car for $3.3k and your labor. Maybe double that and your labor. There's gonna be a lot of fab work.

Also, I worry about my diff everytime I hear my maggie whine. Before you get too committed to spending your bucks, you may want to come up with a plan for your diff or you'll be changing them out with every oil change.

With all that said, if you do indeed embark on this quest, take a lot of pics and keep us all informed. I'd love to watch this, and I'm sure a bunch of other guys would, too.

Last edited by rand49er; 08-23-2008 at 08:42 AM.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:05 PM
TECH Regular

Not for 6-8 pounds of boost. Thats 24hp per pound of boost. In my buick they say 10-15hp per pound is pretty good. He does have a cam but is still alot imo.
my vette picked up around 28-32 RW hp per pound of boost, with tuning

Originally Posted by DoesSpeedTurnUon
Worst case, i have to swap heads sooner rather than later. Right, i'm looking for functionality. I do plan on going with a front mounted 76-80 Turbo.
I'll have some 317 heads for sale soon, they are currently on my TT vette. You might know it. Pewter TT C5 running around dallas.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

DoesSpeedTurnUon - I think that you are getting WAY ahead of yourself, especially if you want to build a front mount turbo kit for a V. I'm not saying it can't be done, or that it wouldn't be cool.. But you should really consider something like a 427, blower or even both first. You will enjoy it MUCH more with far fewer headaches. I built several 427 cts-v's and I loved them. I raced a new M6 in one and rolled him until I shut down at the top of 5th gear. You can put a small shot on top of that and you have more than enough power that you need.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:52 PM
Launching!

While turbos sound neat and deliver big power, i think youll be seriously limiting the life of your engine, my personal vote:

LQ9 heads, holden intake manifold(or a fast manifold), cam. Should be good for at least another 50 horses. I believe they even mount right up to your existing headers.

If thats enough I was at an aftermarket vette shop here in San Diego and they build 8.1 liter motors that have 660hp naturally aspirated, of course youll be needing a transzilla and a rear end that doesnt pop like rice crispies... youll also probably need a tub job done on the rear so you can run 335s instead of 275s...
Old 08-24-2008, 02:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Cts-Voodoo
While turbos sound neat and deliver big power, i think youll be seriously limiting the life of your engine, my personal vote:

LQ9 heads, holden intake manifold(or a fast manifold), cam. Should be good for at least another 50 horses. I believe they even mount right up to your existing headers.

If thats enough I was at an aftermarket vette shop here in San Diego and they build 8.1 liter motors that have 660hp naturally aspirated, of course youll be needing a transzilla and a rear end that doesnt pop like rice crispies... youll also probably need a tub job done on the rear so you can run 335s instead of 275s...

info on this 8.1 liter 660hp NA motor?
Old 08-24-2008, 04:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by y2kfrc
info on this 8.1 liter 660hp NA motor?
I dont have any, but the shop is called the Corvette Shop, theyre on ruffner rd in San Diego (Kearny Mesa area) and they dont have a website. (which Im working on them about)

I know, I know, its like dangling a carrot, but you can look em up and talk to em, the vette I saw in the shop with the 8.1L was a blue C5, and the 5.7 on the coil covers had been filled and dremel-ed into an 8.1 I thought that was a neat touch.

Though frankly, for ish like that I would want metal Lingenfelter covers with custom stickers.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DoesSpeedTurnUon
Has ANYONE ever turbo'd this car?! If not... i'll be the first.

Turbonetics T76 - $1295
Intercooler - $500
Intercooler piping, oil lines, waste gate, blow off valve and misc BS - $1500

Total - $3295 + a lot of my time, but time I have and a lift

Thats the BASIC stuff I need. I know i'll need fuel system upgrades (probably a kennebell boostapump and injectors) but I really don't see why noone has stepped up and just done it. If everything goes right, i'll have everything I need by the end of the year. If i can hit 600rwhp, i'll consider myself successful in the venture. Next M5 wont know what hit it. Thepurpose is to make this car make you say "oh ****" from 60mph +

Stage 1 will be the actual building of the turbo kit.

Stage 2 will be heads and clutch probably ha ha

i say do it...do it.
but if u wanna do suttin, do it right the first time...
send these guys ur car...all's it takes is a phone call...

u cant fab that pipe, its just not gonna happen...
but this guy can...baleed dat keed!
thank me l8ter.

http://www.mongillomotors.com/Pages/TT_06_GTO.html
http://www.mongillomotors.com/Pages/...des_SL500.html
http://www.mongillomotors.com/Pages/TT_SRT8.html
Old 08-24-2008, 07:56 PM
Banned

why do u say sts is not good?
Old 08-24-2008, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

They generally have alot of problems until you work the kinks out. The turbo inlet can get water in it because of the location of the filter. They can have oiling issues because you have to use a pump to bring the oil from the turbo back to the pan. Just stuff like that. Plus, they have more lag than a front mount turbo and they make less power.

Quick Reply: I can't take it anymore... i'm turbo'ing my V