Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

clunk on clutch in..

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 10:39 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clunk on clutch in..

Low to no load situations, mostly in rush hour traffic situation, I get a clutch durring clutch in. I think I am clutching in too quickly and causing issues with the dual mass clutch. But I was also thinking maybe its a motor mount or driveshaft play issue.

Would be interested in hearing thoughts or know if anyone else has had a similar situation happen.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:34 PM
Banned

i know the rubber bushings on both sides of the driveshaft have let go on my 03
over the time of ownership...it was an auto, but it did clunk in the driveline when
they failed.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DoctorNick
Low to no load situations, mostly in rush hour traffic situation, I get a clutch durring clutch in. I think I am clutching in too quickly and causing issues with the dual mass clutch. But I was also thinking maybe its a motor mount or driveshaft play issue.

Would be interested in hearing thoughts or know if anyone else has had a similar situation happen.
i got the same thing if you figure it out let me no... it has been alot better now with the new shifter... explain that....
Old 09-27-2008, 04:22 PM
TECH Regular

Better after you installed the shifter eh? For some reason I want to blame the dual mass flywheel but I really am not that familiar with the car yet to pick it out. Will update as I try to diagnose.
Old 09-27-2008, 05:12 PM
Teching In

i have the same issue...i just purchased my 05 V last WED with out researching this car much....i figured it was built to race and every part was built high end. i took it to the track on friday and had my friend run it(he has a 6speed SS) to try get a "best Time" and the rear end granaded...damn wheel hop ..but...Got it replaced under warranty .....I even bought an extra 3 Year warranty to go along with it just incase i have problems with the car. Everysince I bought it ...its been making a "thunk" sound when i shift from 1st-2nd and 2nd to third if i have high RPM's. Ive been reading about this...Is this movement of the pinion gear in the rear end? Do i need to buy a BMR pinion support to get rid of this? "thunk"

But i did notice that when i accel then let the RPMs go down before i shift ..there is no "thunk"
Old 09-27-2008, 06:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Check engine mounts and diff bushings, replacing those two almost eliminated this issue in my 04 V
Old 09-27-2008, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had this problem on my first V and it ended up being a diff bushing I beleive. It was warrantied and the problem was gone. My new V is starting to develop the same problem. No warranty now though. Sucks.

Are you still covered by warranty? If so, take it in. Try to get a new diff while you're at it. Supposedly there's a newer redesign than the 06/07.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:57 PM
Banned

it's one of your upper rear cradle mount bushings.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:06 PM
Teching In

these bushings are part of warranty items? I got a new diff when i granaded mine...how can i tell if its the new designed diff? They said I had a cracked case. I wonder did they order all the parts and rebuilded the diff or ordered a whole new(hopefully redesign)i have the ticket with what was ordered. They also gave me a new driveshaft and they replaced a "insulator" .

pic of the work done...

..also i told them it wa s a accident rather i was revin the motor up to 4K and dumping the clutch..so warranty covers it

[/URL]
Old 09-28-2008, 03:06 PM
TECH Regular

there is a "agressive driving" bushing set from the dealer they will install if you bitch about wheelhop... when i had my car in for its last factory warranty trip i asked them about it they sed there wasnt a bullitin for this... then my car went onto my gmpp warranty i asked another dealer about it and now there saying my gmpp wont pay for the 193$ bushings cause its a "agressive driving" update and not for safety! so i sed you think i drive this car like a regular cts???? then i sed thats fine im sure gm would rather put a new rear end in later as opposed to puting the bushings in now... 200$ or 2500$ hmmmmm there also telling me my motor mounts are fine although my car diesels when i shut it off... i might jsut have to get ahold of the quailty guy at my plant and have him call over to the grand river plant that built these abortions.....
Old 09-29-2008, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^fuqem up!! I lived 5 mins from the grand river plant when I lived in Michigan. Im gonna have to look into all these pushings cause Im soooooo fuqen tired of the noises!!!
Old 09-30-2008, 03:01 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Capown
^fuqem up!! I lived 5 mins from the grand river plant when I lived in Michigan. Im gonna have to look into all these pushings cause Im soooooo fuqen tired of the noises!!!

where abouts did you live? i turned a transfer down to that plant 2 months ago... im over at the new delta township crossover plant.. both my parents and bro are over at lgr tho...
Old 09-30-2008, 09:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I used to live on the north side of lansing between GrandRiver and Oakland, I went to Eastern High School
Old 09-30-2008, 01:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Capown
I used to live on the north side of lansing between GrandRiver and Oakland, I went to Eastern High School
gangsta gangsta!
Old 09-30-2008, 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^lol!!! fo sho, I lived in the fuqin cut!!! I was terrible there, oh but back to topic. Soo did you find anything out Doc??
Old 10-02-2008, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

i have the same issue with mine. guess i'll have to take it in when i get back home. keep me updated and let me know what happens.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:32 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Hello, sound like it could your pinion support. We have a heavy duty version that has a urethane high durometer bushing and will eliminate the clunking that are common to the ctsv's. We also have a strut tower brace, trailing arms, and heavy duty toe rods. We are also a distibutor for Kooks products. I will post a link and if any of you have any questions please contact me.

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/CTS-Vpage.htm
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Last edited by BMR Tech2; 12-09-2008 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:01 AM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=T-Diddy;10187277]I got a new diff when i granaded mine...how can i tell if its the new designed diff?

The part # that was installed is the newest number for a CTS-V 3.73 carrier. So if there was a redesign on this part you got it.

I will add a question : Does anyone know what was updated?

Quick Reply: clunk on clutch in..