Canadian Members We never leave because we have The Beer Store

Ok try this again safety inspection in BC in non air care places?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 07:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Ok try this again safety inspection in BC in non air care places?

Since can't seem to find anyone that lives in Kelowna can someone that lives in BC but has no aircare let me know what might have to do to my 99TT to get it past safety there?

I know aircare is very picky. Some questions are will my stock corsa be ok or do I have to get stock catback.Would assume have to get cats so can get kooks catted ypipe it should bolt right up.
Also have no airpump but guess could put one on or at least make it look like its hooked up and working. My engine is swapped so have no egr the newer ones didn't have it anyway past think 2000.
Car is very low mileage so don't think they would find anything wrong with brakes,etc.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:20 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say call Canadian Tire in Kelowna and ask them the same questions. They do inspections....I think the inspection is pretty simple...I would be curious to know tho myself.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

don't go to can tire inspections are for safety brakes lights leaks etc etc you will be fine with your exhaust but if you removed the catts that might be a problem if there are only 2 o2 sensors you might get away with it if you have 4 o2 and only two hooked up fail keep them wired but deleted in a tune
Old 08-15-2011, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts

Al, all 4th gens have EGR from factory. 98-99 cars routed into the top of the intake. 2000-2002 routed the EGR into the airlid. Just a heads up.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Oh thought they had no egr on the newer ones.
I guess will talk to a few people when get out there . Maybe can just get it saftied in some big tuner shop in van its only 4 hours away from me. And pretty sure can drive it for awhile on sask plates and so far still have house in Regina and still have farm in Sask as well.

I asked here at muffler shop..here being Regina since here until 27th which is final move out date and they said as long as no exhaust leaks they didnt require cats, egr, air pump nothing. Or at least turn a blind eye. But thought other places in Regina required cats, air pump etc.

I guess it depends on where I go out there . As said at least no aircare crap in Kelowna.
And not afraid to cross someones palm with silver to get my 99 passed out there.

So far its looking like its not sold ,at least not sold before leave so would take it out in september most likely. Fly back and drive it out not going to ship it. Should be fun drive thru mountains anyway as long as be sensible with it. Its really damn fast now with the 427,lg turbos and upped the base boost to 10psi.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Canadian tire will do inspections, and they arent even terribly picky but they arent bright and will prob charge for some bogus stuff just to make money.
The chevy dealership will also do it, and a tire shop has a certified mechanic that can do it. Either fountain tire or kal tire, i just dont recall which.
I dont think many will take money for a pass. Since we dont have air-care no one except cops care about the muffler/cats deal. As long as the car isnt running open headers most dont have a problem.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Well my car should be very passable. Everything is working on it and just have no cats, no air pump,no egr.
Think my toyo drag radials still have enough tread left but can always get some tires no big deal there.

So for tuning /dyno would think have to go to Van but that is not a huge deal either since its not that far away or guess could go to Edmonton or maybe just come thru Edmonton on way to Kelowna in September when likely bring the 99TT out.

I know Edmonton of course has tuning and dyno shops .
Old 08-16-2011, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For tuning id go with cutting edge. They sponsor all the track events from the 1/8th mile here to the 1/4 out in.....middle of nowhere, cant remember the name. But if they see you at the track they will track tune your car with you no problem, they do great street/track tuning, but they dont have a dyno and do less of the dynoqueen hp numbers stuff. They are compitent with lots of the LS stuff, and specialize in bigstuff and megasquirt. Mopac in vancouver has a dyno and they do dyno tuning there as well.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:29 PM
TECH Veteran

They might be ok but my car is not going to be track tuned much.It is currently only legal to 11.5. Too bad they don't have a dynojet. Oh well once out there plenty of time to check things out. Season will be near over so likely get things tuned next spring. Try to make some trophy runs my goal is a 9.xx run at high 130s then likely retire it from track.

I have my pretty cheap 91 talon awd turbo race car to play on track. 99TT was always meant to be a street car.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The talon will be great for the 1/8th. All the fast cars there (unless full race cars) seem to be awd. Lots of done up subarus and the like. Its just hard to launch there it seems

Quick Reply: Ok try this again safety inspection in BC in non air care places?