Canadian Members We never leave because we have The Beer Store

Modifications and Ontario Emissions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 09:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modifications and Ontario Emissions...

Ok guys and gals...
...the Ontario Emissions regulations are a HUGE P.I.T.A for me. This year is going to be no better. With a new heads/cam package and LT's w/ True Duals (still have stock exhaust in garage) it's not going to be easy. I know there has to be people out there in the GTA that have passed emissions with the same type of mods or 'worse'. These are some of the specs on the mods:

Heads: Absolute Speed Stage 2 5.3L Heads
Cam: 228/230 .571/.573 on a 112 LSA

I want to take the AIR and EGR off of the car as well as cats. I know this is not a possibility with E-Testing. Could I install them for the test and have a shot? Or am I in a losing battle?

If anyone out there has any suggestions, I am open to them. Tricks, tips of any kind are appreciated...Thanks
Old 01-27-2005, 07:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had fun with my emissions in 2004 also.

I went and tried 3 times. Needless to say my solid roller 422 did not pass.

I got a conditional pass. This is that I tried to make it pass (made some improvements) and the repair bill cost more than, hmmmmm I think it was 1500. I can't rememeber the amount.

Now I have a sticker until 2006.

Good luck,

Roman
Old 01-27-2005, 09:27 PM
Launching!

Yes but dont the improvements have to spent on improving the emissions and not your quarter mile times

1500 thats rediculous, I thought it was like 400.

I wish they'd just do away with it
Old 01-28-2005, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just fake the sheet.....
Old 01-28-2005, 02:25 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Brett95z
Just fake the sheet.....
Apparently a lot of people have been faking it and getting away with it.

This is an interesting issue for me, I have a Buick GN and lots of people do dumb stuff like disable EGR, frig with timing, no cat, and fail the test. I made up my own "emissions" chip. Basically stock timing, moved PE mode thresholds up a little, set the fan temps up higher than normal. Once I passed my emissions were really clean even compared to my Camaro or even my Montana van.

Luckily Ontario doesn't do a visual inspection. Just don't waste your time if you do not have catalytic converters on there. A good cat will do a lot.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:08 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BJM
Apparently a lot of people have been faking it and getting away with it.

This is an interesting issue for me, I have a Buick GN and lots of people do dumb stuff like disable EGR, frig with timing, no cat, and fail the test. I made up my own "emissions" chip. Basically stock timing, moved PE mode thresholds up a little, set the fan temps up higher than normal. Once I passed my emissions were really clean even compared to my Camaro or even my Montana van.

Luckily Ontario doesn't do a visual inspection. Just don't waste your time if you do not have catalytic converters on there. A good cat will do a lot.
Will the high flow cats ussually still all pass. I've heard some of the metal substrate cats have issues passing.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:51 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by CamaroJoe
Will the high flow cats ussually still all pass. I've heard some of the metal substrate cats have issues passing.

I failed on all 3 gases during the 40km/h test with my Mac cats. I swapped them out with Magnaflow's Carsound high flow cats and passed with flying colours, so you be the judge.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:15 PM
8 Second Club

Yep the Random tech cats have a real hard time passing and so do the Dynatech cats. Factory cats work best to help you pass. U need a really hot motor as well-like 220 degrees and I also heard gasline anti-freeze helps.
Old 02-06-2005, 01:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BattyV6
Ok guys and gals...
...the Ontario Emissions regulations are a HUGE P.I.T.A for me. This year is going to be no better. With a new heads/cam package and LT's w/ True Duals (still have stock exhaust in garage) it's not going to be easy. I know there has to be people out there in the GTA that have passed emissions with the same type of mods or 'worse'. These are some of the specs on the mods:

Heads: Absolute Speed Stage 2 5.3L Heads
Cam: 228/230 .571/.573 on a 112 LSA

I want to take the AIR and EGR off of the car as well as cats. I know this is not a possibility with E-Testing. Could I install them for the test and have a shot? Or am I in a losing battle?

If anyone out there has any suggestions, I am open to them. Tricks, tips of any kind are appreciated...Thanks
The car is obviously going to be loud which will attract the driveclean cops (they are out there). removing the egr and AIR is a pretty big fine (removal of emissions equipment) and the no cats fine 3 years ago was $385. Leave the emissions equipment alone and just go for a conditional pass. it'll be a hell of a lot less hassles if you want to enjoy driving your car.

Gerry
Old 02-06-2005, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be sure to leave all the visual stuff on the car, I was pulled over at the cayuga bullshit roadblock where they were harrassing anyone going to the track. They had like 10 driveclean guys with the testing truck with 4 opp cruisers and 8 officers.

They were pulling peoples plates, they spent like 45 minites looking at my car making sure I had all the egr pvc and cats, lucky they didn't see the supercharger. One of the driveclean guys actually stuck up a conversation asked me what the car ran told him low 14teens (actually low 11's), I knew what I was in for if I told the truth. You can pass and leave the stuff on the car if you don't have a lot of overlap in cam and flash a different tune in car for e test.

John
Old 02-06-2005, 09:13 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

I didn't think Ontario had a visual inspection. I did the e test on my Buick T-Type. After it passed with flying colours the guy asked me what my special shiny alternator was for. It took me a while to realize he was talking about the turbo! Even when I told him what it was he just looked puzzled. He had a tough time believing it came that way from the factory. I don't see how there can be a visual inspection if a guy like this is doing testing. This was in October.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The annual e test is a joke you can pay a lot of shops for a pass without a test. The problem is the on road enforcement and they do check for all the components that should be there. The clean air officer that checked my car had been trained and knew what to look for. No pvc , no cats , open breather all good for a 380.00 dollor fine and a trip to keele street for a mto inspection

John
Old 02-06-2005, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BJM
I didn't think Ontario had a visual inspection. I did the e test on my Buick T-Type. After it passed with flying colours the guy asked me what my special shiny alternator was for. It took me a while to realize he was talking about the turbo! Even when I told him what it was he just looked puzzled. He had a tough time believing it came that way from the factory. I don't see how there can be a visual inspection if a guy like this is doing testing. This was in October.
When I did my training and test for driveclean, they had people that could just barely speak english (some didn't I think). It's the road enforcement that knows what to look for like John35thSS says
Old 02-06-2005, 10:06 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by John35thSS
The annual e test is a joke you can pay a lot of shops for a pass without a test. The problem is the on road enforcement and they do check for all the components that should be there. The clean air officer that checked my car had been trained and knew what to look for. No pvc , no cats , open breather all good for a 380.00 dollor fine and a trip to keele street for a mto inspection

John
I think the roadside types are pretty rare here in Ottawa. I know they are here but I have never seen them.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:47 AM
Staging Lane

Does anyone have a complete list of what things the On Road Drive Clean guys check for?

Cats, EGR, AIR, PCV...what else?

Thanks

Andrew
Old 03-30-2005, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Usually if you just keep your cats on you will be fine. If your heading to a track on an event day, be prepared to get raped. Especially if you are going for an import based event like cscs or somethin like that.

I have heard of some officers carrying heat guns, and checking to see if you actually have a cat, and not just a heat shield tacked around the piping
Old 04-01-2005, 11:24 PM
Teching In

we in kitchener have some MOE problems here is some reading for you
http://www.kwfbody.com/phpBB2/viewto...ghlight=friend

true udals minus no cats = 2x385 fine one for each missing cat
Old 04-02-2005, 03:09 PM
Launching!

Do you think most MOE cops would know that some LS1 F-bodies came from the factory with an EGR and some did not (depending on model year)?
Old 04-02-2005, 03:27 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Does anyone know what these guys would do if you put on a rear mounted turbo? It wouldn't affect emissions but sure won't look stock.
Old 04-03-2005, 01:52 PM
Staging Lane

I was just gonna say what Steve said - you're safe with !EGR in my opinion, because there's no way they'd know which years came with EGR and which didn't. I'm pulling my EGR and AIR and going with Magnaflow cats on my true duals. If they hassle me about !EGR, I'll just say the engine was blown and I replaced it with a model that came with no EGR. AIR isn't easy to spot either - the pump is located in a body cavity behind the driver side headlight, isn't it? Can't even see it unless you start tearing stuff apart.

Quick Reply: Modifications and Ontario Emissions...