Canadian Members We never leave because we have The Beer Store

Importing an F-Body?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 03:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dohc
I'm in Brampton.

Like I said, my insurance isn't the problem, its the temp tag that has my ballz a aching. One florida DMV says that I will have to get a new temp tag for every state I cross, the other says one is fine for the whole trip. Some say that the ontario trip permit will do. All say I will have to pay the florida 6% tax to get a florida temp tag. Also once I take pocession of the tag, the tax is not refundable even though I'm a canadian.

What I want to do is get an ontario temp tag at my local MTO, fly down to florida, and drive back with that. But no MTO here, or DMV down in the states knows whether its legal, they're all just giving me opinions

Last thing I need is to locked up in some hick town with Rosco P. Coltrane breathing down my neck.
Ive been considering importing a car as well. In your situation, why not have the seller mail you the ownership, take that down to the insurance company and get it insured (either fully, or temp) go to the DMV and get a 10-day permit for it. Fly down, slap the 10-day on the car and roll. FORGET paying tax twice...I'd take my chances before doing that.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Outlaw55
Ive been considering importing a car as well. In your situation, why not have the seller mail you the ownership, take that down to the insurance company and get it insured (either fully, or temp) go to the DMV and get a 10-day permit for it. Fly down, slap the 10-day on the car and roll. FORGET paying tax twice...I'd take my chances before doing that.
I was told by my insurance company that they could NOT provide insurance unless the car had Ontaio plates. That being said, at the time, the DMV will not give you a permit without insurance(unless I was gettin the **** about by both). Also that same DMV office told me that I wouldnt get the permit since the cars title wasnt transferred into my name. WHAT HAVE OTHER PEOPLE DONE FOR INSURING THEIR CARS FOR DRIVING THEM BACK FROM ________ STATE?
Old 12-05-2007, 09:11 AM
TECH Addict

I've been wondering this too b/c my last car was shipped to me. I will be picking up my next one and driving it back as well. My buddy had brought back a couple, I will see if I can get ahold of him, very hard too, and find out.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:09 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by NDFORSPD
I was told by my insurance company that they could NOT provide insurance unless the car had Ontaio plates. That being said, at the time, the DMV will not give you a permit without insurance(unless I was gettin the **** about by both). Also that same DMV office told me that I wouldnt get the permit since the cars title wasnt transferred into my name. WHAT HAVE OTHER PEOPLE DONE FOR INSURING THEIR CARS FOR DRIVING THEM BACK FROM ________ STATE?
Bingo.

It is a huge circle jerk between MTO, Insurance, and the Feds.

You have a few options ...

- Temp Plates from an MTO office, which require insurance (you can lie here). While the norm is for insurance to tell you to go to hell, some ppl on here have claimed their insurance companies are willing. I dont know which.
- Drive it across and home with the Original State Plates. The dealers never took any of my plates ... so, theoretically, I could of driven to the border and then home. Concern here is driving without insurance, especially in the states.
- Get it shipped. This is what I do. Have the car shipped to a port in Buffalo and go down and pick it up with a truck and trailer. Go through the border and then take it straight to crappy tire for the Etest/Cert.

Maybe someone else can shed some further insight ...

Best of luck.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:02 PM
TECH Addict

Ya that seems to be about it but just doesn't seem moral to me. I need to get a hold of a guy I know and see what the hell he has done. He has a dealer license b/c he's brought back a few. If I remember and get ahold of him I'll definelty post up here.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:54 PM
10 Second Club

Old thread but bringing it back from the dead. Could you not use a dealer plate (if you so happen to have a friend who had one) to drive the car home?
Old 03-21-2008, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by aNuBiS
Old thread but bringing it back from the dead. Could you not use a dealer plate (if you so happen to have a friend who had one) to drive the car home?
I know someone who did this and was fine, not sure if it is entirely legit tho.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:03 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Laffs
I know someone who did this and was fine, not sure if it is entirely legit tho.
Hahah, ya, and thats just the issue, what really is.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:07 PM
On The Tree

Hahah, ya, and thats just the issue, what really is.
Haha ya. The main issue is in my head is importing a car for retail purposes is different for personal uses. If you have a dealer plate but importing for personal use, they may assume your trying to dodge the taxes and forms for retail importation.

Best bet, throw the dealer plate on to drive to the border, then have it towed thru customs, on the other side throw plate on and continue driving.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hm. That's strange. My insurance company had no problem insuring a car with no plates.

I ened up buying a NY temp plate, dropping my paperwork off at the border, coming home, then waiting a week to go pick the car up.

I had no problems, except for getting my paperwork from the RIV, and with Canadian Tire trying to scam me (but that's another story that I'll get into later).
Old 03-21-2008, 05:44 PM
Teching In

how would you import a parts car?
Old 03-21-2008, 06:41 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Spd-Kilz
Hm. That's strange. My insurance company had no problem insuring a car with no plates.

I ened up buying a NY temp plate, dropping my paperwork off at the border, coming home, then waiting a week to go pick the car up.

I had no problems, except for getting my paperwork from the RIV, and with Canadian Tire trying to scam me (but that's another story that I'll get into later).
If you got a NY temp plate, why would you wait a week to get the car, and not just drive it across right away.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:42 PM
Launching!

Hey guys, new to ls1tech, wanna say hi to everyone on this site. Anyways im in the Vancouver area of B.C. Im going to be buying my first car, the 98-02 ws6 has been my dream car for years, its still my favorite affordable/non exotic car available. I am most likely going to be getting one from the U.S. and am overwhelmed with all the hassles of shipping one over but its getting more and more straightforward. Im still contemplating going to pick it up or getting it shipped (I will do a carfax and try to hire inspector to get it inspected if I dont go down to check it out in person, but its very nerve racking not seeing/driving the car yourself.), and if i should get a brokerage or whatever there called to do all the paperwork for me (I wouldnt even know who to call, doent even really know what a brokerage is). Im also concerned about paying, what if I pay the guy and then he just disappears on me. Sorry im new to all this.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you got a NY temp plate, why would you wait a week to get the car, and not just drive it across right away.
To get the NY temp, I needed to show them the paperwork that I dropped off at the border later that day. I then had to wait 72 hours for that to clear.

It was the only way I could do it.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Importing a car from the U.S. is easy as pie. Just make sure you do your homework.

I had my first U.S. import shipped up from California 2 weeks ago, and not only did I save a ton of dough over a Canadian car, but it's totally rust free. Even the rear axle housing still has a metallic finish.

I would highly recommend this route.

Please send me a message if you have any questions. I am located near Toronto.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:11 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by eseibel67
Importing a car from the U.S. is easy as pie. Just make sure you do your homework.

I had my first U.S. import shipped up from California 2 weeks ago, and not only did I save a ton of dough over a Canadian car, but it's totally rust free. Even the rear axle housing still has a metallic finish.

I would highly recommend this route.

Please send me a message if you have any questions. I am located near Toronto.
Yes its fairly easy, Ive done it myself for my car. However its a bit more complicated when you decide to drive it the entire way from purchasing it to your home across the border, rather than towing/trailering it.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:22 PM
11 Second Club

Take a copy of the ownership into the license office along with PROOF of insurance (if you have another car insured, bring the slip). That will get you your temp plates. Then I would just go down, pick up the car, drive it home. If you read the step by step guide from the RIV, you shouldnt have any problems. I suggest filling out the paperwork before hand, and faxing it to the border. Make sure you have your fees paid up. Make sure you have all the paperwork they have requested.Then when you get to the border they will be expecting the car, and you wont get stuck there for a week. You have 45 days from the time you import the car to register it. That means you could take it home, and let it sit for a month (if you wanted too) before you take it to Canadian tire to have them inspect it. While you're there, you might as well have them do the safety inspection and the e-test and be done with it. Then you can register it in Ontario. Sounds pretty easy to me.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:27 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

I noticed a few threads saying the RIV list had been updated. I had really wanted to import a 2008 Corvette, can I now? I am surprised none of this is in the news since it made such a big stink last year when the new models came out and RIV blocked nearly everything it seemed.

Anyone from Ottawa do the import thing?
Old 09-08-2008, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

what if you own a car as an american citizen and want to move to Canada? For instance, if McCain gets elected?
Old 09-08-2008, 07:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

I read all of these posts, and I have a simple question (maybe I overlooked it)

Could you simply just pay the seller (legal us resident, with legit passport) to drive the car to canada, and fly back to the states?

Seems like it would make the deal a lot easier to deal with.

Ryan

Quick Reply: Importing an F-Body?