Canadian Members We never leave because we have The Beer Store

Importing an F-Body?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 11:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dohc
I'm in Brampton.

Like I said, my insurance isn't the problem, its the temp tag that has my ballz a aching. One florida DMV says that I will have to get a new temp tag for every state I cross, the other says one is fine for the whole trip. Some say that the ontario trip permit will do. All say I will have to pay the florida 6% tax to get a florida temp tag. Also once I take pocession of the tag, the tax is not refundable even though I'm a canadian.

What I want to do is get an ontario temp tag at my local MTO, fly down to florida, and drive back with that. But no MTO here, or DMV down in the states knows whether its legal, they're all just giving me opinions

Last thing I need is to locked up in some hick town with Rosco P. Coltrane breathing down my neck.
I got my Camaro from Austin, TX and my Corvette from Miami, FL. Both times the seller gave me a temp permit from their state, but they weren't private deals.
Drove both cars back through many states and Ontario with the original temp plates. The Texas plate you couldn't even see cause the guy taped it to the inside of the rear window and the rear hatch was dark tinted.
never got stopped so I don't know if it was 100% legal but it worked for me!!
Old 03-07-2007, 01:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jeff2380
I got my Camaro from Austin, TX and my Corvette from Miami, FL. Both times the seller gave me a temp permit from their state, but they weren't private deals.
Drove both cars back through many states and Ontario with the original temp plates. The Texas plate you couldn't even see cause the guy taped it to the inside of the rear window and the rear hatch was dark tinted.
never got stopped so I don't know if it was 100% legal but it worked for me!!
So they weren't private deals, or they were?
Old 03-07-2007, 02:15 PM
12 Second Club

I'm in Brampton.

Like I said, my insurance isn't the problem, its the temp tag that has my ballz a aching. One florida DMV says that I will have to get a new temp tag for every state I cross, the other says one is fine for the whole trip. Some say that the ontario trip permit will do. All say I will have to pay the florida 6% tax to get a florida temp tag. Also once I take pocession of the tag, the tax is not refundable even though I'm a canadian.

What I want to do is get an ontario temp tag at my local MTO, fly down to florida, and drive back with that. But no MTO here, or DMV down in the states knows whether its legal, they're all just giving me opinions

Last thing I need is to locked up in some hick town with Rosco P. Coltrane breathing down my neck.

This doesnt have to do with anyone else but your insurance.

Youre not going to get a straight answer from any of those places because they do not know the answer ... or just wanna shark money off you (their mentality is that you better pay up and be sure rather than not).

If your insurance is willing to cover you in the USA what is the problem? Fly down, throw the temp plate on, and drive up. If you get into an accident the vehicle is insured by your company up here. The vehicle is technically plated (ontario temp plates). The only possible problem with this is whether or not ontario temp plates are legal in the states youll be driving through ... and the only way to find this out is to call each state youll be passing through individually and ask them if you can drive through their state with a temporary plate from Ontario, Canada.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:24 AM
Staging Lane

So they weren't private deals, or they were?
They were not private deals.
The Camaro B4c was a police package from the Dept. of Texas.
The Vette was from a wholesaler.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:48 PM
On The Tree

Question...will there be any problems if the car is modded?
Old 07-04-2007, 07:11 AM
On The Tree

Original Title document needs to be there 72 hours prior to crossing for processing...ugh. Anyone know any borders around Maine / NB who accept fax?
Old 07-04-2007, 09:02 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by waltonscott
Original Title document needs to be there 72 hours prior to crossing for processing...ugh. Anyone know any borders around Maine / NB who accept fax?

Here are the ports in ME,

http://www.customs.gov/xp/cgov/toolb...acts/ports/me/
Old 07-04-2007, 09:24 AM
On The Tree

Thanks

Also,

Does the Bill of Sale need to be provided 72 hours before import, and does it need to be notorized, or is a signature by both parties acceptable?

Regards

S
Old 07-06-2007, 10:11 PM
11 Second Club

Im planning on Driving My Camaro up to Nova Scotia in January. By then the car will be paid off. I'm living in Florida right now, so I have plates and insurance. I'm just a little worried about passing some kind of inspection with my current mods.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:29 AM
On The Tree

I imported my car a few weeks ago. No problems bringing it across. Had it shipped to border then drove it home.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:55 AM
11 Second Club

Sounds good.

Is there anyway I could just bring the car in as a tourist, and deal with all the importing stuff later?
Old 07-08-2007, 10:26 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeff2380

Did you have to do anything to bring a Corvette into Canada? The government list seems to indicate that the bumpers needs to be altered. Was it expensive to alter?
Old 07-08-2007, 11:44 PM
On The Tree

I just had a bill of sale that that i made up...emailed to them. They signed it and faxed it back to me..then i signed it. I took several copies of both that and the title (faxed to me) with me.

I would advise you keep a folder with all your paper work. And bring it along. Print the add as well.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I jsut bought a 2001 Trans Am from Florida. Its being shipped to me though in Lloydminster, Alberta. I thought I bought it for alot cheaper tahn I would have here. I got a broker to do the paper work hastle free for $500.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:41 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Websy21
I jsut bought a 2001 Trans Am from Florida. Its being shipped to me though in Lloydminster, Alberta. I thought I bought it for alot cheaper tahn I would have here. I got a broker to do the paper work hastle free for $500.
What kind of broker does this work? Is it a basic good s importer or someone who does vehicles as a speciality
Old 07-12-2007, 03:55 PM
TECH Addict

Sorry never followed thread, I believe it was a broker just for vehicles. He is suppose to get it over without any fuss at all. It was called A&A, I beleive out of BC somewhere. Its actually on the ebay motors website, look it up. For your info its all going good so far. As of a couple days ago, last I tracked my car its over the border about 5 hours away from me! Can't wait!
Old 07-13-2007, 12:27 PM
TECH Addict

Update, called shipping company and it is in Calgary! It is going so much faster than expected. Should easliy have it next week!
Old 07-18-2007, 04:49 AM
TECH Addict

Getting excited, car is in Edmonton now. Waiting for phone call from shipping company, should have it by end of this week I hope. Early next the latest, so fas so good! Knock, knock! Going faster than expected. If it gets here by this week it will be a week faster than expected/quoted. In which would be 2 weeks delivery for anyone who is interested!
Old 07-20-2007, 11:44 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Websy21
Sorry never followed thread, I believe it was a broker just for vehicles. He is suppose to get it over without any fuss at all. It was called A&A, I beleive out of BC somewhere. Its actually on the ebay motors website, look it up. For your info its all going good so far. As of a couple days ago, last I tracked my car its over the border about 5 hours away from me! Can't wait!
Did you buy your car off ebay?
Old 07-20-2007, 12:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BJM
Did you have to do anything to bring a Corvette into Canada? The government list seems to indicate that the bumpers needs to be altered. Was it expensive to alter?
Sorry just saw this post now.
No I didn't have to do a thing to my 98.
The bumpers are needed on 03 to 07 may not be necessary.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ight=importing

Quick Reply: Importing an F-Body?