Canadian Members We never leave because we have The Beer Store

Importing an F-Body?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 08:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the great info jinxed. It seems like it is going to be a lot easier to import than I thought. (The only problem is I hate Canadian Tire. It seems like they have a monopoly on this sort of thing. Oh well.)

I'm not sure if anyone would know, but what would I need to do to drive it home? Does the US use something like the In-Transit system we have up here? I'll ask my insurance company, but if anyone knows what is needed to drive it across the border that would be great. Thanks!
Old 03-18-2006, 12:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

would u have to pay both taxes if you bought the car from a private seller from the U.S.?
Old 03-18-2006, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah theres a transit system, we call it a temp tag, its like 5-20 bucks, depending what state you buy it from, not a biggie. Customs needs to stamp the title, that takes a couple days or so, just to let you know. You still have to pay tax on the car.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

I am a salesmanager for a dealership here in Canada. I just got home last night from importing a '99 30th anniversary edition T/A from the US. Everything went good, dont forget the NAFTA certificate of Origin when you bring the car across, I did and Canada customs didn't like it to much, but it was there fault since I called ahead and verified what I needed for paper work. Other than that everything has been said about what you need and the fees you pay.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:08 PM
12 Second Club

Congrats on the purchase, man.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jinxedz
Congrats on the purchase, man.
thanks! Its pretty sweet. fits in my small GM family I have started, 2001 Z28 in SOM, 99 T/A 30th, 98 excab sportside Z71, 92 fullsize blazer 2dr with 9 inches of lift with 37s, and the car at the end of my driveway my girlfriend's 04 eclipse gt( )
Old 04-07-2006, 01:55 PM
Teching In

What is this "NAFTA certificate of Origin?"

Never mind. Found it.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Orange_crush
I am a salesmanager for a dealership here in Canada. I just got home last night from importing a '99 30th anniversary edition T/A from the US. Everything went good, dont forget the NAFTA certificate of Origin when you bring the car across, I did and Canada customs didn't like it to much, but it was there fault since I called ahead and verified what I needed for paper work. Other than that everything has been said about what you need and the fees you pay.

Did you drive it across?

Do you know if I can just use the lecense plate from my existing car, and put it on the one I am importing? I know I can do that here in Alberta, but I have to transfer the plates within 14 days. I know I will still need insurance.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ejawodo
Did you drive it across?

Do you know if I can just use the lecense plate from my existing car, and put it on the one I am importing? I know I can do that here in Alberta, but I have to transfer the plates within 14 days. I know I will still need insurance.
Yes I drove it home, used a dealer plate from work since it was purchased under the dealership. Otherwise I dont know what you would use for insurance, talk to your insurance company and tell them your intentions, I am sure you would get proper insurance from them since they cover you and your car.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:00 PM
On The Tree

Does a NAFTA certificate of Origin mean you will not have to pay any GST on the car?
Old 05-03-2006, 07:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Hylton
Does a NAFTA certificate of Origin mean you will not have to pay any GST on the car?

You will pay GST.
Old 05-05-2006, 07:14 AM
Staging Lane

3 Main costs are,

Conversion Rate

15,000.00 USD = 17,318.45 CAD
1 USD = 1.15456 CAD
1 CAD = 0.866128 USD

Taxes (GST at the border, PST when you register)

17,318.45 x 1.15 (Ontario) = 19,916.22

Form Fees

$180 Form at customs
$100 A/C Tax
Safety and E-test ($100 or so)
Registration at ministry of transport including plates

So, around 20-21K

that's crazy, after taxes and all the car ends up only being 20K. if you look in the trader, these cars start at 22K (upto and including 35K and more) and then taxes on top of that! only thing that would concern me is getting screwed over somehow from the dealership/person selling you the car, driving it home could prove to be a hell of an experience. you'd have to be miticulously careful when picking and choosing you car..
Old 05-05-2006, 12:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by pr95blackbird
that's crazy, after taxes and all the car ends up only being 20K. if you look in the trader, these cars start at 22K (upto and including 35K and more) and then taxes on top of that! only thing that would concern me is getting screwed over somehow from the dealership/person selling you the car, driving it home could prove to be a hell of an experience. you'd have to be miticulously careful when picking and choosing you car..

Yeah, the prices in the trader are outrageous!!! When I'm ready to buy my WS6 T/A or C5 next year, it's definetly going to be from the states. There are some killer bargains down there.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:53 PM
12 Second Club

... and the current exchange rate only benefits you.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

... and the current exchange rate only benefits you.

Oh yeah! Unless it goes down. I did hear it was supposed to go higher. Now all i have to do is sell my 96 SS. I wonder if it would sell quick?
Old 05-24-2006, 04:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Orange_crush
Where to get NAFTA certificate of Origin ?
This post is great !

Last edited by iGoRa; 11-19-2006 at 05:41 PM.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

Well buddy, I just imported another f-body. This one for me personally, when I got to Canada customs he told me I did not need the NAFTA for a personal vehicle just for commercial importation.
Here is a pic of my new car.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:39 PM
TECH Resident

what if the engine doesnt run/ will not drive but motor problems is the only problem it has? do i have 45 days to get the car into the country/running/cert by canadian tire?
Old 11-20-2006, 11:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup, it has to be federally certified within 45 days or so unless you make other arrangements with the feds.

I just imported a 1998 trans am convertible in october and everything went really well. I got a smokin deal on it because of the time of year and it only has 38000 miles on it.

I sent the us port of entry a copy of the title and bill of sale by fax at least 72 hours before coming across.

Then I brought the original bill of sale and title across with me to the us side and then to the canadian side when I came back. You pay the gst and the ac tax at the canadian side of the border and then pay the riv fee online now.

I got my recall letter from gm canada ($26.50 on credit card) when I got back and got the federal safety done in like 2 minutes literally at a local certified acura dealer.

Now I am just waiting til spring to get the car provincially safetied and then will possibly plate it or just sell it.

After that, I will be going down for another one while the dollar is still high.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:35 PM
TECH Resident

one other question, what about TRANSPORTING an F-Body in from the states? I have found a guy in California that has A TA I might be interested in, just wondering (i thought I had seen a post of a guy pickin it up from a freight yard.) if it was possible to ship and how much it would cost roughly...obviously I'll get a quote for a more exact amount later.... The vehicle in question has an ify engine and wont make the drive the whole way back, lookin for options?.....

Quick Reply: Importing an F-Body?