Canadian Members We never leave because we have The Beer Store

Importing an F-Body?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My guess is that it will cost you quite a bit more to ship rather than to get a cheap plane ticket and drive it back.

It cost me only $400 cdn to fly down to chicago from saskatchewan and drive back using premium gas. I am sure shipping would be around $1000, give or take.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:49 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vader99
Yup, it has to be federally certified within 45 days or so unless you make other arrangements with the feds.
If you go over the 45 day time span, you have to re-pay the form fees for a new form.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:51 AM
12 Second Club

My guess is that it will cost you quite a bit more to ship rather than to get a cheap plane ticket and drive it back.

It cost me only $400 cdn to fly down to chicago from saskatchewan and drive back using premium gas. I am sure shipping would be around $1000, give or take.

Lots of factors to consider.

I had mine shipped from Dallas to Buffalo for about $800 IIRC w/ insurance. Took 2 weeks.

Lots of people just drive them up (makes for a good road trip, especially if it is a nice time of year)

You can drive it, but the vehicle is not registered anywhere and it is not insured (unless you can set something up with your insurance company - which I have never heard of).
Old 11-23-2006, 10:52 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by NDFORSPD
one other question, what about TRANSPORTING an F-Body in from the states? I have found a guy in California that has A TA I might be interested in, just wondering (i thought I had seen a post of a guy pickin it up from a freight yard.) if it was possible to ship and how much it would cost roughly...obviously I'll get a quote for a more exact amount later.... The vehicle in question has an ify engine and wont make the drive the whole way back, lookin for options?.....

I havent checked in about a years time ... but when I was shopping around it was about 1000-1500 from CA to NY.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Shipping within the US anywhere is quite cheap but as soon as you want it to come over the border then it becomes more expensive just like any other courier system going over the border for whatever reason.

As far as driving it up goes......it cost me $11.00 CDN for a 7 day insurance pass from my local insurance up here and then when I got down to chicago I got a 10 day intransit permit for $10.00 USD to drive it home on. So, it was very cheap to drive it up here. I checked into getting it shipped and it would have cost me ~ $1100.00 CDN to get the car shipped to me versus the $400.00 cdn that I paid by getting it myself.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the only reason I was lookin into shippin was that the car has a blown engine (it still runs, but for how far/long.....???) thats why i figured shipping would be ok. Dont get me wrong, I got my First WS6 from Barrie, and that was one of the best rides home from Cottage Country EVER!!! I was gonna do just that tho, get it shipped up here, but drop shipped in Buffalo so I could drive it through the Border etc. Does it matter what Port I go through to get into Ontario? Although the guy im lookin to buy from has been pretty lax on returnin phone calls and pics.....
Old 11-24-2006, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

All of the canadian ports should have near identical requirements for importing. Just phone around and see which one sounds better for whatever reason. And then you have to send a copy of the title and bill of sale to that particular port before hand as well.

And I guess driving it a long distance would be out of the question for you in your situation.

Good luck with your importing adventure.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:37 AM
Teching In

Sorry to resurrect a somewhat dead thread, but I just read something that sort of changes what I had been told in the past:

Someone said that they faxed customs a copy of the title/ownership 3 days in advance, and then brought the hard copy with them on their way back. I read that you needed to give them a hard copy or a certified copy 3 days in advance, not just photocopies/faxes.

Is this true?
Old 12-13-2006, 09:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Nope, a faxed copy is fine. However, you should check with the US port of entry that you plan on crossing through just to make sure that they accept that. Some of them have slightly different rules, but I am sure that they all will accept the faxes just fine.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:45 PM
formerly 04 Rooster (2013-12-10)

Hey guys...I've been lurking here for a while (and read this thread) and finally signed up a few days ago. My plan is to puy an LS1 in the US and drive it back so this thread is amazing and full of great advice! Just wanted to say thanks for the direction! I'll be back to ask a bunch of questions when the time to purchase is closer (hopefully early summer).
Cheers,
Rob
Old 01-05-2007, 02:56 AM
Teching In

I just brought mine up into calgary a few months ago from montana. car was $10,250 USD, with taxes and gas and everything I think it only came to about $12,500. Pretty much everything there is to do has been said, except that the inspection in canada doesnt absolutely have to be at a canadian tire. Any CT will do it, but some other places can too, there was one toyota dealer in calgary that was authorized to do them, but crappy tire is probably a little more lax about it. I didnt even need to get that child hook, I knew the guy there so he just asked me if it had daytime runners and if it had the hook, i told him yes and no, he said why dont we just say yes on both. Done. Importing overall is not that complicated.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:13 AM
Staging Lane

Shipping within the US anywhere is quite cheap but as soon as you want it to come over the border then it becomes more expensive just like any other courier system going over the border for whatever reason.

As far as driving it up goes......it cost me $11.00 CDN for a 7 day insurance pass from my local insurance up here and then when I got down to chicago I got a 10 day intransit permit for $10.00 USD to drive it home on. So, it was very cheap to drive it up here. I checked into getting it shipped and it would have cost me ~ $1100.00 CDN to get the car shipped to me versus the $400.00 cdn that I paid by getting it myself.
BFTD

This is where I'm having a problem!!!

I brought a car in Florida online, and figured that everything would be the same. But to get a temp tag in florida, you have to pay the 6% sales tax first, and its non-refundable

I'm trying to find out if I can use an Ontario temp tag down in the states, but no one knows the answer. Some say yes, others no, most have no idea.

I've tried calling the Florida DMV, the MOT, tag offices. Everyones stumped.

Have any of you guys used an ontario temp tag to bring a car up?
Old 03-06-2007, 11:58 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by dohc
BFTD

This is where I'm having a problem!!!

I brought a car in Florida online, and figured that everything would be the same. But to get a temp tag in florida, you have to pay the 6% sales tax first, and its non-refundable

I'm trying to find out if I can use an Ontario temp tag down in the states, but no one knows the answer. Some say yes, others no, most have no idea.

I've tried calling the Florida DMV, the MOT, tag offices. Everyones stumped.

Have any of you guys used an ontario temp tag to bring a car up?

Its a circle jerk between MTO, customs, and Insurance.

IIRC, you will need to show insurance for the vehicle to get a temp tag ... insurance will only give you coverage if the car has been safety/etested in Canada already.

From MTO's site (link on the 1st page of this thread):

A trip permit authorizes the operation of a fit vehicle in Ontario:

* with expired/without plates;
* at a higher gross vehicle weight than indicated on the plate portion of the permit of a commercial vehicle registered in Ontario; or
* while moving from one jurisdiction to another (corridor movement).

To apply for a trip permit, take the following items to any Driver and Vehicle Licence Issuing Office:

* your original fit vehicle permit;
* if the permit is not registered in your name, a Bill of Sale from the person named on the permit to you, if available;
* if the vehicle is registered as unfit, a Safety Standards Certificate (SSC) is also required;
* name of your insurance company and policy number. The vehicle to which the trip permit will be attached must be insured at the time when the trip permit is issued.

So you need to call your insurance company and see of they will insure you. They most likely will not ... but it is worth a try.

Other options include driving it back up here with pre-existing plates (that are not registered to the vehicle - God help you if you get into an accident). Or having the car shipped.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:21 PM
formerly 04 Rooster (2013-12-10)

Hey guys...just rereading this thread (for about the billionth time) and I thought I would add a little info. I have insurance with TD Meloche Monnex and I just confirmed they will issue me temporary insurance to bring a vehicle back into Alberta. Hope that helps someone!
Old 03-06-2007, 03:15 PM
TECH Resident

yeah this is where I had issues as well(ins and tags). I got my car in Ohio, got a temp tag at the dmv,HOWEVER my insurance company would not insure since(as mentioned above) it hasn't passed cdn standards yet. my insurance agent suggested lookin into brokers ins, I "did" and then declined it. but this whole idea is ludacris considering the Gov't is so **** on ALWAYS having ins on a vehicle, and yet my car is sitting on the driveway, waiting for the gov't paperwork to come thru with no insurance, i REALLY wonder what would have happened if i needed to use the car daily for the last while. As for paying the tax in a state, you don't have to since YOU are not an American citizen, you are already paying tax to your OWN govt! the dmv or sorry, bmv, didnt even bring it up, just charged me 8 bucks and change for the temp tag(which is still on there now), and i was on my way, as for what you do with ins. is your own call
Old 03-06-2007, 03:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jinxedz
Its a circle jerk between MTO, customs, and Insurance.

IIRC, you will need to show insurance for the vehicle to get a temp tag ... insurance will only give you coverage if the car has been safety/etested in Canada already.

From MTO's site (link on the 1st page of this thread):

A trip permit authorizes the operation of a fit vehicle in Ontario:

* with expired/without plates;
* at a higher gross vehicle weight than indicated on the plate portion of the permit of a commercial vehicle registered in Ontario; or
* while moving from one jurisdiction to another (corridor movement).

To apply for a trip permit, take the following items to any Driver and Vehicle Licence Issuing Office:

* your original fit vehicle permit

Originally Posted by 04 Rooster
Hey guys...just rereading this thread (for about the billionth time) and I thought I would add a little info. I have insurance with TD Meloche Monnex and I just confirmed they will issue me temporary insurance to bring a vehicle back into Alberta. Hope that helps someone!
I'm also with TD Meloche Monnex, and they said it wouldn't be a problem to insure the car, so at least I don't have to worry about that.

In florida, if you buy the car from a dealer (which I did), then to get a temp tag, you must pay the tax

After experiencing the biggest circle jerk of my life, I still don't have a real answer. Every MTO office I call has a different answer, and no one knows for sure. When I call the border, they have no idea and say its Transport Canada's problem, they send me to the RIV, who sends me to the Florida DMV, who sends me to the Highway Patrol....

I also just read this page trip permit page (MTO) and I'm confused about the wording.

Where is says "while moving from one jurisdiction to another (corridor movement)" leaves things very open. Anywhere outside of the city you got your temp tag is another jurisdiction. Does this include the states? Also WTF is "Corridor Movement"?

And, how will they now if the vehicle is a "fit" vehicle? Titles, or ownerships from the states are way different then they are from here.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:56 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by dohc
I'm also with TD Meloche Monnex, and they said it wouldn't be a problem to insure the car, so at least I don't have to worry about that.
If they are willing to insure you that is awesome ... get insurance, get temps, fly down and drive her up (which includes a lot of other processes, but I am being general). The problem is mainly with Ontario insurance companies. Insurance companies in other provinces usually have no problem covering US bought cars. That is why you often hear of ppl getting temp plates real easy up here in Canada and just driving the car back up.

I also just read this page trip permit page (MTO) and I'm confused about the wording.

Where is says "while moving from one jurisdiction to another (corridor movement)" leaves things very open. Anywhere outside of the city you got your temp tag is another jurisdiction. Does this include the states? Also WTF is "Corridor Movement"?
That refers to inter-provincial movement.

And, how will they now if the vehicle is a "fit" vehicle? Titles, or ownerships from the states are way different then they are from here.
I would bring your bill of sale and the actual ownership of the vehicle into a local MTO office (with proof of insurance) and go from there. Theyll be able to explain what additional documents would be needed, if any (I dont think there would be).

It is a circle jerk, but dont worry about it ... youll have her up here in no time.

EDIT: Where are you located? I am assuming you are in Ontario.

Last edited by jinxedz; 03-06-2007 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:01 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by NDFORSPD
yeah this is where I had issues as well(ins and tags). I got my car in Ohio, got a temp tag at the dmv,HOWEVER my insurance company would not insure since(as mentioned above) it hasn't passed cdn standards yet. my insurance agent suggested lookin into brokers ins, I "did" and then declined it. but this whole idea is ludacris considering the Gov't is so **** on ALWAYS having ins on a vehicle, and yet my car is sitting on the driveway, waiting for the gov't paperwork to come thru with no insurance, i REALLY wonder what would have happened if i needed to use the car daily for the last while. As for paying the tax in a state, you don't have to since YOU are not an American citizen, you are already paying tax to your OWN govt! the dmv or sorry, bmv, didnt even bring it up, just charged me 8 bucks and change for the temp tag(which is still on there now), and i was on my way, as for what you do with ins. is your own call

You are waiting on your forms from the RIV, correct? Did you pay the fees at the border or opted to cover them later?

You have the Car Etested, safety'd, and put through the CrappyTire inspetion?
Old 03-06-2007, 11:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jinxedz
If they are willing to insure you that is awesome ... get insurance, get temps, fly down and drive her up (which includes a lot of other processes, but I am being general). The problem is mainly with Ontario insurance companies. Insurance companies in other provinces usually have no problem covering US bought cars. That is why you often hear of ppl getting temp plates real easy up here in Canada and just driving the car back up.

That refers to inter-provincial movement.

I would bring your bill of sale and the actual ownership of the vehicle into a local MTO office (with proof of insurance) and go from there. Theyll be able to explain what additional documents would be needed, if any (I dont think there would be).

It is a circle jerk, but dont worry about it ... youll have her up here in no time.

EDIT: Where are you located? I am assuming you are in Ontario.
I'm in Brampton.

Like I said, my insurance isn't the problem, its the temp tag that has my ballz a aching. One florida DMV says that I will have to get a new temp tag for every state I cross, the other says one is fine for the whole trip. Some say that the ontario trip permit will do. All say I will have to pay the florida 6% tax to get a florida temp tag. Also once I take pocession of the tag, the tax is not refundable even though I'm a canadian.

What I want to do is get an ontario temp tag at my local MTO, fly down to florida, and drive back with that. But no MTO here, or DMV down in the states knows whether its legal, they're all just giving me opinions

Last thing I need is to locked up in some hick town with Rosco P. Coltrane breathing down my neck.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:01 AM
On The Tree

Just ship the car way easier.

I am currently purchasing a car in Texas, I live in Alberta.

I am using Showroom Transport to ship.

Let you guys know how it goes.

Quick Reply: Importing an F-Body?