Canadian Members We never leave because we have The Beer Store

For Anyone Planning to Buy an 08 GM Vehicle in the U.S

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 12:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure it's government regulated - but it came from General Motors.

The government didn't do that out of the good will of their own hearts.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:52 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

I usually accept things like this but I am pissed off. I was planning to pick up an '08 Vette used sometime soon. This seems to mean that I cannot even bring in used '08s.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BJM
I usually accept things like this but I am pissed off. I was planning to pick up an '08 Vette used sometime soon. This seems to mean that I cannot even bring in used '08s.
yep thats the case, hopefully they will remove that ban on them once all this hype settles down but who knows. Looks like you may have to get an 07.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KyleLs1
yep thats the case, hopefully they will remove that ban on them once all this hype settles down but who knows. Looks like you may have to get an 07.
Yup. Same car, just an engine swap away from being an '08 .
Old 11-09-2007, 11:13 AM
On The Tree

That's not all GM did. As of November 1st, all RIV docs from GM cost $250.00 instead of $50.00. This applies to any gm vehicle 15 years old and newer. I just got dinged this week.

Last edited by Hylton; 11-09-2007 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:14 AM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

I would like to know the official reason that RIV is giving for this. There is supposed to be a technical reason for the limitation like the gas tank safety on the recent GTOs. A broad brush of nearly all the '08s is hard to believe unless there really is an issue for this new model year.

I had decided to look for an '08 Corvetter convertible, the new LS3 looked appealing. I might still go for an '07 Z06.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:26 AM
On The Tree

Maybe it's just because they have not yet received any crash of safety results and specs.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:20 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

I emailed my local paper to see if they are interested in doing an article on this. It sounds like they are interested. The editor mentioned that he heard that the automakers are delaying sending data to Transport Canada. This means that until data is received, cars are shown as inadmissible, as mentioned above.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BJM
I would like to know the official reason that RIV is giving for this. There is supposed to be a technical reason for the limitation like the gas tank safety on the recent GTOs. A broad brush of nearly all the '08s is hard to believe unless there really is an issue for this new model year.
Got the *Official* reason:

It's all to do with the built-in "vehicle immobilizer" system .

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/impor...list/VAFUS.pdf

Read Page 2, Point #9
9. Every Passenger vehicle, multipurpose passenger vehicle, truck and 3 wheeled vehicle manufactured after September 1, 2007 and with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) less than 4,536 kg (10,000 lbs), except an emergency vehicle or a walk-in van, must be equipped with an immobilization system that meets CMVSS 114.
While many vehicles manufactured for the United States market offer the electronic immobilization system as an option, there are some makes and models where this system is not available from the manufacturer. In many cases, an after market system that meets the intent of CMVSS114 can be installed by a third party. However you should check with the manufacturer to see if the installation of such an after market system compromises the vehicle warranty. Importers should check with the manufacturer to determine whether a vehicle is equipped or can be equipped with an electronic immobilization system that meets the intent of CMVSS 114, before purchasing and importing a vehicle.
Electronic immobilizers require a special key or small electronic device to start a vehicle's engine. Usually you attach this to your key ring.
This type of system, when activated, totally immobilizes engine systems in response to any attempt to start the vehicle without using an authorized key, by shutting off one or more parts of the engine's electrical system. This might include the starter, ignition or fuel system.
As part of the RIV inspection, the importer will be required to supply documentation to prove that the vehicle came equipped with a factory installed system that complies with CMVSS 114 or that a recognized aftermarket system that meets the intent of CMVSS 114, has been installed.
What a crock .
Old 11-11-2007, 01:25 AM
TECH Resident

does this mean that cars can be made admissible upon adding the immobilyzer?
Old 11-11-2007, 01:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ghostintheshell
Probably not! They might do that in the future (like the crash bumpers for the vettes) but i think for the time being, they are using that to their full advantage to keep them out.

Wouldn't doubt it if they planned it all along with this immobilizer thing. GM probably spearheaded the whole operation. lol jk
Old 11-11-2007, 08:49 AM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

What exactly is this immobilizer. GM cars have had Pass II and Pass III key systems for years.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:30 AM
TECH Resident

haha of course GM is simply taking advantage of this.

I am going to be attending a border seminar on the importing of vehicles to Canada. I will post when I have details - although that might be a month or so.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ghostintheshell
Originally Posted by KyleLs1
Probably not! They might do that in the future (like the crash bumpers for the vettes) but i think for the time being, they are using that to their full advantage to keep them out.

Wouldn't doubt it if they planned it all along with this immobilizer thing. GM probably spearheaded the whole operation. lol jk
Written right in the text that I posted above, it says that an aftermarket system, "that meets the intent of CMVSS 114", may be installed. HOWEVER, I read on another board that there is either A) no suitable aftermarket system available at this time, and/or B) even if there is such system, or if you bought the GM system ... by installing it into the vehicle, it may be be considered "tampering" with the wiring harness, and GM may void the warranty anyways! (haven't got confirmation on that part though).
Old 11-12-2007, 09:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Cap'n Pete
Written right in the text that I posted above, it says that an aftermarket system, "that meets the intent of CMVSS 114", may be installed. HOWEVER, I read on another board that there is either A) no suitable aftermarket system available at this time, and/or B) even if there is such system, or if you bought the GM system ... by installing it into the vehicle, it may be be considered "tampering" with the wiring harness, and GM may void the warranty anyways! (haven't got confirmation on that part though).
lol definitely wouldn't suprise me.. these guys are no dummies, they'll do whatever is necessary to keep things in their favor
Old 11-12-2007, 11:16 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

I checked the RIV site for a Fords, Chryslers, etc. It's only GM that has this issue. Only GM has failed to put in these immobilizers? What gives?
Old 11-13-2007, 12:19 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BJM
I checked the RIV site for a Fords, Chryslers, etc. It's only GM that has this issue. Only GM has failed to put in these immobilizers? What gives?

What gives?

25k for a 2008 G6 GXP in America

45k in Canada.

They are going to bend over backwards so you do not go across the border, save a metric tonne of money - and then tell 10 of your closest friends that you saved 20k over the same vehicle they bought.

Plain and simple : GM is milking Canadians.

One could answer that with modern marketing : What the market will bear

Most Canadians, with a lower currency, thought that the prices of vehicles was so high in Canada because of the exchange rate.

GM doesn't say " OK this car cost us 10k to make, so we'll add 20% markup and sell it -

They sit back and test the market and see just how much money they can get. " What the market will bear "

Canadians have always been willing to pay a higher price for goods - because our currency wasn't as valuable - and the market fed on this - actually going well over the appropriate coversion of the day - because Candians payed it.

Now, with this being in the news, and so many people getting angry about it, this is the time to speak.

Again - I encourage you to write to GM and let them know how you feel - as well as your local politicians and prime minister.

I have done all three.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:57 PM

Default 2008 Escalade Stranded!!!

Bought a 08 Cadillac Escalade ESV in Denver on October 27. That day Transport Canada said these vehicles comply. Nov 8 tried to cross the border and they said GM changed the laws in the last 24 hrs. Now what does a guy do????

Last edited by ICB2003; 11-15-2007 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:21 PM

Default Vehicle Anti-Theft Via Alarm and PASS-Key III+(R) Engine Immobilizer

Does anyone know if the Vehicle Anti-Theft Via Alarm and PASS-Key III+(R) Engine Immobilizer in the 2008 Escalades is recognized by Transport Canada.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ICB2003
Bought a 08 Cadillac Escalade ESV in Denver on October 27. That day Transport Canada said these vehicles comply. Nov 8 tried to cross the border and they said GM changed the laws in the last 24 hrs. Now what does a guy do????
Originally Posted by ICB2003
Does anyone know if the Vehicle Anti-Theft Via Alarm and PASS-Key III+(R) Engine Immobilizer in the 2008 Escalades is recognized by Transport Canada.
you're hooped man, no 08 GMs are allowed in right now... who knows how long the law will last but as of right now i think you are S.O.L.
Did you buy from a dealer or private party? Hopefully whoever it was has an 07 laying around !

Quick Reply: For Anyone Planning to Buy an 08 GM Vehicle in the U.S