cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Now what does a guy do????
I'd be on the phone with my lawyer pretty quickly for starters
Old 11-15-2007, 11:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup time to get the lawyers involved. That is complete BS. Should be the grandfather clause come in effect for vehicles that were bought already. What happens if there are some over here already they will be liscenced already, do they have to send them back too?
Old 11-15-2007, 11:38 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Well seeing as he purchased it before the RIV he has a pretty damn strong case for an allowance. There will be paperwork to support this so I think he might be alright
Old 11-16-2007, 08:00 AM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ICB2003
Bought a 08 Cadillac Escalade ESV in Denver on October 27. That day Transport Canada said these vehicles comply. Nov 8 tried to cross the border and they said GM changed the laws in the last 24 hrs. Now what does a guy do????
That is really bad luck. I wrote into my paper last week (The Ottawa Citizen) and asked them what they knew. Today they had an article on this, apparently it is entirely voluntary for the automakers to send their US specs to Transport Canada (which makes sense, they don't need it). GM may hold out forever. The article mentioned the immobilizer issue and stated that it should only be a $300 piece. GM Canada and Nissan did not answer calls from the newspaper.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
EXACTLY...Our dollar is going to soar,and the US dollar will go down another 20-25 cents on the world market....big recession headed for the states....China owns their debt....over 1.3 TRILLION and counting....Iraq is also killing them..they cannot afford it any longer....as of 1:43 pm Pacific....the Canadian Dollar is at $1.08.62 against the U.S. Dollar...
The debt is based on many things not just China. If the US falls, so will Canada because both economies are tied together. As for the $$$ issue, the US dollar is .02 more now. If a recession hits the US, Canada will follow.....it always has because Canada and the US are the two largest trading partners in the world. Don't get me wrong I'm not pro US but only a Canadian that has lived here for 16 years now and looking at moving back!!
The grass is not always greener on the other side. Bush sucks and heaven help who gets in next!!

Try living here with no insurance and a government that could careless about its people. That includes the wounded vets coming home from Iraq with missing limbs.

You have to experience both before you see the real picture.
So much for the governments promise to drop the GST.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:54 AM
DrX
TECH Addict

I see that Honda has followed GM's lead and now has all of their new vehicles on the inadmissable list as well.

While the vehicles may actually meet Canadian anti-theft standards, GM is simply refusing to certify that they do.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:25 PM
Teching In

I'm have been trapped into this situation with a 2008 Toyota Tacoma.

I phoned RIV in October and asked if a 2008 Tacoma was admissible (the 2008 weren't on the list at this time), RIV said yes. So I purchase the truck on the 24th of October. Then on Nov. 6th I see that my truck is in the inadmissible column, well I phone RIV right away and they tell me that I'm alright as long as I have purchase the vehicle before Nov 1st. I figured that I was in the clear. Anyways I contacted RIV a few more times and got an amensity letter. Now I hear they won't honor the letter. I think I have aged 5 years during this process.

The truck now sits in my garage because of an electronic engine immobilizer, which the truck has but not one that follows this CMVSS 114 standard according to Toyota.

Here is a website with people with the same issue and who fighting for a solution. There is also Petition on the site to lower Canadian pricing.

www.carswithoutborders.com
Old 11-27-2007, 12:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Silver_FD
I'm have been trapped into this situation with a 2008 Toyota Tacoma.

I phoned RIV in October and asked if a 2008 Tacoma was admissible (the 2008 weren't on the list at this time), RIV said yes. So I purchase the truck on the 24th of October. Then on Nov. 6th I see that my truck is in the inadmissible column, well I phone RIV right away and they tell me that I'm alright as long as I have purchase the vehicle before Nov 1st. I figured that I was in the clear. Anyways I contacted RIV a few more times and got an amensity letter. Now I hear they won't honor the letter. I think I have aged 5 years during this process.

The truck now sits in my garage because of an electronic engine immobilizer, which the truck has but not one that follows this CMVSS 114 standard according to Toyota.

Here is a website with people with the same issue and who fighting for a solution. There is also Petition on the site to lower Canadian pricing.

www.carswithoutborders.com

I would be fuming mad if i were you!! How can they do this **** to people, especially with an amnesty letter... you should be good to go!

Canadians take it in the *** yet again
Old 11-27-2007, 07:58 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

First off how the heck is it a safety issue for not having an anti-theft device? Red flag right there the transport idiots should have found a better excuse. Second how hard would it be to upgrade an anti theft system for crying out loud? Its probably only software related anyways so big whoopy doo this is a completely ludicrous stance. There has to be available information to make these upgrades.

Someones getting paid off inside the transport dept to do this or some scam is happening. Thankfully i am not it the sorry shoes of owning a new 08 RIV vehicle but if I was I think I'd lobby the others from that/this website and hire a private investigator to sniff around transport Canada decision makers lives as well as form a class action or group effort legal action. This RIV is real low and completely against free trade and free market capitalism. What the **** are we living in former commie USSR???
Old 12-02-2007, 05:51 PM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can you buy a "used" one? or does it not matter at all whether it is used or new.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:12 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by taner
can you buy a "used" one? or does it not matter at all whether it is used or new.
If you are referring to the RIV banned list, it does not matter.

Before the list was updated, we'd be able to buy new 'used' vehicles state side ... that is, dealerships were told not to sell new vehicles to CND consumers by GM, BUT, the way around that was having the vehicle sold to a friend in the states, or, a corporation (Nevada LLC anyone?) and then re-sold to yourself for export.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:44 PM
12 Second Club

According to the list, we can Import an 08 Saturn Astra ...

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/impor...S___SATURN.htm

Im I reading this right?

Says so right under the Admissible column ... Odd.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:32 AM
TECH Resident

looks that way...

wonder why? haha maybe they wanna sell em
Old 12-11-2007, 04:55 AM
Teching In

Isn't this a resolved issue? Or atleast the cars that were 50/50??
Old 12-20-2007, 01:34 AM
TECH Resident

t t t
Old 12-20-2007, 05:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

There is already a team of lawyers in Ontario..filing a class action lawsuit..has been in the works for almost 2 monts...was on our tv news, and I read it in the Vancouver Sun paper...
Old 12-20-2007, 06:46 PM
Teching In

Looks like 2008's will be allowed into Canada as long as the vehicle has an electronic immobilizer. I was contacted today by RIV and now have plates for my 2008 Tacoma.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/mediaroom/releas...7/07-h245e.htm

It is official right now but I would wait until the release of the new list on Dec 26th.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:26 PM
TECH Resident

So does this mean I can purchase and import now?

Or is this a quick fix for all those who had already purchased vehicles?
Old 12-21-2007, 04:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ghostintheshell
So does this mean I can purchase and import now?

Or is this a quick fix for all those who had already purchased vehicles?
I think you should be ok, they have updated there list sooner than what they have said:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/impor...list/VAFUS.pdf

You should call RIV just to confirm that the vehicle you plan on importing is admissible, not that it did me any good in October. Although the rules are a lot clearer now.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:42 PM
TECH Resident

That's really interesting...

Perhaps someday I will come back and buy a used G6 GXP...

Or the new malibu, which IMO looks great!

Quick Reply: For Anyone Planning to Buy an 08 GM Vehicle in the U.S