Canadian Members We never leave because we have The Beer Store

What to do now...?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 03:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What to do now...?

I bought a set of ported and polished LS1 heads with 918 springs, not knowing there were different casting numbers through the years.

They arrived today and turn out to be off of a 98 LS1 (806 castings).

More details found here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/879897-bought-wrong-heads.html

If I could sell these heads for what I paid, I'd sell them.

But.. I'd need some COMPATABLE budget heads for my car in good condition.
Aftermarket would be nice, but decent 241s would probably work to get me back on the road.

I paid 375 shipped for these. Anyone interested?
Anyone have proper replacements?

Already have a TR 224 112ls cam deal in progress for the swap...
Old 03-10-2008, 04:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not much info on the heads, as in the port and polish............. by whom, etc?

If they have a nice port and polish, whether cnc, etc The casting numbers don't mean too much as thye would still yield some decent gains. There wouldn't be much difference b/w your casting and this one ported. The only differenc I think there is and you'd have to clearify is that there might have to be some modifications done to the head for them to seal. I foget how to expalin it but that was the year they were different and the gaskets are different, etc. Do a search but for the effects of running them on your car I am sure they'd be alright being that they are ported out by someone who knew what they were doing.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:07 PM
12 Second Club

Truthfully I'd rather have proper heads, but if someone else wants to take that project on, have at'er.

No idea who did the p&p job as I'm now the third owner.
I was told they looked similar to the previous owners Patriot heads if that helps.

What would be a fair price if I sell them?
Old 03-10-2008, 04:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see a problem with the price you paid for them. If they are ported nicely like you say they are than great. I mean you can sell used 243 stock castings for 500 bucks.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Websy21
The only differenc I think there is and you'd have to clearify is that there might have to be some modifications done to the head for them to seal. I foget how to expalin it but that was the year they were different and the gaskets are different, etc. Do a search but for the effects of running them on your car I am sure they'd be alright being that they are ported out by someone who knew what they were doing.
These heads are perimeter bolts for the valve covers. For them to work on his car he will need to get perimeter bolt valve covers and mount his coil packs right to the valve cover instead of the bracket...

If you want to still use the 98 heads I have all the 98 stuff that you can convert for your car to use those.. Let me know...
Old 03-10-2008, 08:01 PM
Launching!

I have a pair of 241's if you want, PM me if your intrested.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:49 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by CK-1 99SS
These heads are perimeter bolts for the valve covers. For them to work on his car he will need to get perimeter bolt valve covers and mount his coil packs right to the valve cover instead of the bracket...

If you want to still use the 98 heads I have all the 98 stuff that you can convert for your car to use those.. Let me know...
Gah you caught me.
I feel like such a putz for buying the wrong castings... never even crosted my mind.

Any guesses as to how well these might flow compaired to stock 241 castings?
Aftermarket heads would be nice, but too many bills on the go as it is.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rede you need the 918 springs don't forget anyway for the cam if you didn't get 918 springs from Greg. So you could take off the springs..if you are lucky maybe they even came with titanium retainers...Then selling the heads won't hurt so much. And then get 241s and just bolt them on..or get the conversion stuff its your choice and these might be decent. Guess its catch 22. But ck said he had the stuff right in stoon to convert.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Oh and don't forget you should for sure get new stronger pushrods not stockers anymore for the cam and better springs.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:02 AM
12 Second Club

Yeah I'm not dealing with these stock things anymore.
I guess in a way, having them bend could have saved me some more costly valvetrain damage, but I'm hoping that whatever is causing them to bend is related to either the stock cam or something with the heads.

I don't want to entertain the idea of pulling a motor out of my car.

I got a quote from FastToy for new rods. 147.99 + 14.50 shipping & 5 % GST = 170.61 CAD to my door.
They didn't have OEM head bolts, but do carry a fully set of APR's for 175 + shipping and tax.

Rods I could handle, but the price of the bolts make this little swap add up in cost.

CK has a pm on thefobody.com as I might just work with what I have now in the shortness of time.
Soooo anxious to hit the dyno for the first time.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:45 AM
TECH Veteran

I dont think the stock head bolts are reuseable so you are I think forced to buy new ones stock or aftermarket?? I am going with arp studs for my 408 but that is of course a high performance build. You also need new headgaskets maybe again not sure if the gm ones are reuseable?? It could add up really fast.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:53 PM
12 Second Club

I was told by a few people not to reuse the head bolts, but eom's would be fine for me.
Ditto with the gaskets as they usually stick to the heads and the cylinder which = tare.

C'mon CK and read your fbody pm's!