Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

how to make an electronic quadrajet work without computer

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just found a non-electric older style q jet for free. so im just gonna use that. the whole point im making that nobody is understanding is: i wont use a carburator at all unless its almost free. if i wanted to spend money on this beater i would put a junk yard 6.0 in if with a harness and computer. the only reason i got the tuck was to jump sand dunes and practice body work.

Last edited by rumblebox; 12-10-2010 at 09:24 AM.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
TBI is garbage.
indeed it is. but in reality, pretty much any GM EFI setup prior to the ls1 was garbage.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think what people are trying to say is sometimes things that are free turn out being pretty damn expensive. Like that free hot tub someone gave me a few years back.

Sounds like it worked out for you.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

the whole truck was free actually. the timing chain broke; when he came back with a wrecker, the carb and valve covers were stolen. so he abandoned it at my friend's house just for that. so all im paying is the fee to get a title.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

its definitely not something im going to be cruising around in..... at least until i make it a little less hillbilly looking. but it will be fun since i live right across the street from some pretty nice sand dunes.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh snap, that's a good start on a badass truck as long as it's not rusted out!
Old 12-10-2010, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

rust is minimal
Old 12-10-2010, 10:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

looks like the truck from the Fall Guy show
Old 12-10-2010, 02:07 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by rumblebox
indeed it is. but in reality, pretty much any GM EFI setup prior to the ls1 was garbage.
CFI was junk, TPI, although had small runners and what not from the factory, can run its *** off, as well as the LT1 injection, so i cannot agree, but then again, i like my carbs on my car as i dont have to pay someone **** to tune my cars.

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
I think what people are trying to say is sometimes things that are free turn out being pretty damn expensive. Like that free hot tub someone gave me a few years back.

Sounds like it worked out for you.

Exactly, if you dont want to spend "anything" on a carb unless it is near free, you must be broke as all hell. A used holley can be had for 40$ or less.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dont like carburetors at all, so regardless of how much money i have i can't justify spending anything more than chump change. all i want is for it to run efficiently and reliably. it's an offroad truck, not a street truck. plus, the Qjet is better for level changes, hills, etc.

Last edited by rumblebox; 12-10-2010 at 04:45 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put the non feedback carb on it. Vacuum is what controls the metering rods at idle to control mixture. If you need more fuel remove the top of the carb and raise the needles up a notch on there springs. Less fuel do the opposite. Although WOT tuning is nearly the same as any carb jetting is key. The metering rods aren't the only means of idle tuning for these carbs but a factory carb usually has lead plugs covering the idle mixture screws keeping them from being tampered with unless you take the time to drill them free. Although if the engine is a stock 350 with stock intake and all the tuneup should be nearly spot on.
You can also make the secondary's react faster by removing weight from the counter weights on the upper flap if yours is equipped that way. But be careful because if you go to far it will get a big breath of air and fall flat on its face if they open too fast.

I am a believer in qjets for there gas mileage and the fact that all gasket surfaces are above fuel level and you pretty much don't have to worry with leaks.

Though they do have there draw backs such as getting the metering rods correct for engines that may have been modified. Finding parts isn't nearly the breeze as it is for a holley style carbs. And the round plunger type accelerator pump isn't the best setup anyone has ever seen.

But they did there job for years and years and were used as a highly sought after replacements for thermaquads off old mopars. Typically a hot rodder would seek out a qjet off a Cadillac 500 engine seeing they were 850s.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

finally a useful post! thanks lol
Old 12-13-2010, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No problem. I am no master but now you know pretty much the same as I do about them.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:04 PM
TECH Junkie

I tried to keep it out of the Qjet bashing mode, but notice he said to start with the non-feedback carb. So don't know that they were all less than useful.

How many fishing weights did you get out of it?
Old 12-13-2010, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

i just acquired an older style Q jet for free. i'll be using that one.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:41 PM
Teching In

LOL....we got 900cfm out the quadrajet back in the early 80s.

That said, the electronic quadrajets can yield some amazing mileage and still put down decent performance as long as the computer is receiving proper information from the sensors and all solenoids are working properly.

Most of the quadrajet mojo is beyond the average technician considering the differences over the years in air valves, metering rod hangers, metering rods, float level fulcrum changes, secondary air door limiters.....etc....but that doesn't mean they don't work.

A non-electronic quadrajet still has a ton of different applications with the springs, orfice and air bleed sizes, porting locations for vacuum signals, metering rod tapers and height, secondary air valve spring tension....etc that will confuse the **** out of the "slap a holley on it" crowd but a real man has no trouble at all with them.
The following users liked this post:
indyjps (09-05-2022)

Quick Reply: how to make an electronic quadrajet work without computer