Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Edelbrock carb cam?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 10:41 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Seagram's 72
This flat flexplate didn't work with my 200-4r. I used a 5.3 flexplate. The wider bolt pattern made me have to drill holes for the 4l80e flex, I would rather elongate them so it would be easier to keep them center in th 5.3 flex. The only thing I needed for my 5.3 flex was a Hughes adapter and 5 min. my air grinder.
That is really strange. All I had to do was elongate the existing torque converter bolt holes about 1/8" with a die grinder like you describe. Did you use the same part number as I did? Also, did you have a 3 bolt or 6 bolt converter?

Why exactly did it not work for you?
Old 01-22-2011, 11:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to grab my converter and mock things up. Just to Be sure.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by speedtigger
That is really strange. All I had to do was elongate the existing torque converter bolt holes about 1/8" with a die grinder like you describe. Did you use the same part number as I did? Also, did you have a 3 bolt or 6 bolt converter?

Why exactly did it not work for you?
Sorry for the miss information, I had to look back on my notes, the 4l80e flex will work the same as the 4l60e, except with a different spacer. You will have to slot the flex either way. I had a 5.3 flexplate (4l60e) for my 6.0 and I am assuming Pro-Tour Heavy Chevy has the same flexplate since he has the 5.3. The 5.3 flex will work with an adapter, or buy a 4l80e flex and that adapter.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:51 AM
Old School Heavy

Default proper flexplate & spacer with 4l80 and older 400, 350 & 200 transmissions

Ah, got it. Good clarification.

So, to recap: If out already have an offset 4l60e flexplate, you can use the aftermarket spacer that goes on after the flexplate. But if you do not have a flexplate yet, it might just be easier to buy the flat 4l80 flexplate with spacer kit. With this kit the spacer goes between the crank and the flywheel.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Ah, got it. Good clarification.

So, to recap: If out already have an offset 4l60e flexplate, you can use the aftermarket spacer that goes on after the flexplate. But if you do not have a flexplate yet, it might just be easier to buy the flat 4l80 flexplate with spacer kit. With this kit the spacer goes between the crank and the flywheel.
Came to the same conclusion this weekend, Thanks Guys! Sorry to jack the thread. Now back to our original scheduled thread which is currently in progress. "Which Edelbrock Carb Cam for a 5.3"
Old 01-24-2011, 01:55 PM
On The Tree

I bought the hughes flexplate and spacer and then found all these threads about just needing a spacer. Is the gm spacer the same as the hughes, just cheaper? Also, how much power can you make and still be ok with the elongated tc holes?
Old 01-24-2011, 03:16 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by Black&White
I bought the hughes flexplate and spacer and then found all these threads about just needing a spacer. Is the gm spacer the same as the hughes, just cheaper? Also, how much power can you make and still be ok with the elongated tc holes?
I would think either spacer would be more than ample quality & strength. As far as the elongated holes go, I think you will probably crack the factory flexplate before the holes become an issue unless you do a really hacky sloppy job elongating the holes.

If you are seriously making power, you should probably have an SFI flexplate anyway.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Pro-Tour Heavy Chevy
Came to the same conclusion this weekend, Thanks Guys! Sorry to jack the thread. Now back to our original scheduled thread which is currently in progress. "Which Edelbrock Carb Cam for a 5.3"
No, just kidding, were all glad to help! This thread will be dead anyways by the time the snow metls and I actually get to drive the car with this cam in it.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Seagram's 72
I bought the Edelbrock Cam and Manifold, but the MSD 6010 Box. I would recommend Edel manifold, but not the box. I think buying the MSD and Edel manifold seperatley from Summit was cheaper than the Edelbrock package anyways.

BTW, Edelbrock cam was an easy install and the kit comes with very detailed directions, no need to pull up alldata for anything.
What all comes with the MSD 6010. Exactly what comes in the box? Anything else to buy?
Old 02-05-2011, 08:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by supspt454
What all comes with the MSD 6010. Exactly what comes in the box? Anything else to buy?
Basically turn key ignition system. All connectors plug right into the factory LS connectors. You need to make 3 connections. +12v coil (key), -12v coil (tach), and a ground. to get you started just plug in a pill and go. There are seperate connectors included in case you want to add retard or a MAP sensor. You will need to buy a serial cable (if you don't have one) from Walmart or Best Buy in case you want to hhok it to your comp/ laptop.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The actual 4l80e plate is the easiest to use with spacer if not need Sfi plate

Quick Reply: Edelbrock carb cam?