Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Coolant Crossover Tube - Can I Toss It?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 10:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Coolant Crossover Tube - Can I Toss It?

My LQ4 has the blocked coolant plugs in the back on the heads and the crossover tube with the line leading to the tb on the front. Of course not needing coolant to a tb can I install plug blocks in the front as in the back? This would help clean up the front of my motor a little. The only reason why I ask is I didn't know if this served a balancing purpose for the cooling system or did anything other then direct coolant to the tb. Thanks
Old 01-03-2011, 10:44 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I ran mine into a reduced T in the coolant line for my heater system, most everyone does, if you could delete it, we all would have.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:55 PM
On The Tree

I just soldered the end of mine closed. Why can't it be deleted?
Old 01-04-2011, 12:08 AM
TECH Resident

This sounds like the same situation as with the LSx engines. The correct name for that line is a steam pipe. Blocking it causes at least one hot spot; it is important to just make a bypass around the throttle body and not plug it.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:29 AM
On The Tree

Ah steam pipe, thats it! I soldered the line that goes to the throttle body closed, should I have connected this back into the cooling system? Or is that not necessary just as long as both heads are connected toghether?
Old 01-04-2011, 01:33 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Originally Posted by Seagram's 72
Ah steam pipe, thats it! I soldered the line that goes to the throttle body closed, should I have connected this back into the cooling system? Or is that not necessary just as long as both heads are connected toghether?
This:

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
I ran mine into a reduced T in the coolant line for my heater system, most everyone does, if you could delete it, we all would have.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:51 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Seagram's 72
I believe I routed mine to the radiator. It was a convenient place to splice into. It's been a long time ago and it's too dark and cold to look right now.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:22 AM
In-Zane Moderator

I ran something like this into my heater core line:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/COOLA...Q5fAccessories
Old 01-04-2011, 06:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This topic has been beat to death in previous threads with the answer running from absolutely not needed to absolutely have to have it or the world will stop spinning. You can search the conversions and hybrids sections if you want to throw your 2 cents into the argument.

My take away from the discussion is the vents are there to help get the last of the air out of the top of the engine. This is needed on LS motors since unlike the first gen motors the radiator hose is not plumbed into the highest point on the motor.

There are quite a number of people who do delete the vents completely. If you do that you just need to make sure you get all the air out of the motor when filling the coolant system. Not hard to do IMO.

The fact there are numerous motors running without them with no problems tells me they are not “needed”. However, as someone pointed out in the previous thread, it doesn’t take much to plumb them into some other point in the cooling system. So why not hook them up for peace of mind? Especially if you let a commercial shop work on your car.

If you have an older motor that connects all 4 vents, then I would think most people would agree you can do what GM did with the LS6 and beyond motors and block off the rear vents.

There are at least a half dozen places you can run the vents. Just make sure it is into a pressurized part of the cooling system. Amazing the number of people who have tried to plumb the vents into the radiator overflow bottle.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drilled and tapped the top of the water pump and ran the line to that. Works great.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:12 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info guys, I was wondering why my vent blocked did not casue any issues.

A) My upper hose goes above the vent, the vent isnt the highest point in the system.

B)Most of all I purged all of the air out of the system which would eliminate the need for this.

This isn't my biggest issue, but I was thinking about changing it this winter. Something else I am looking into redoing is my breather/ PCV lines, but that is another comletely different discussion.

Thanks for the help, its all in the details.

Quick Reply: Coolant Crossover Tube - Can I Toss It?