Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Cam Theory: 6.0 LY6/ 6.2 L92 with exhaust manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011 | 07:30 AM
Launching!

Default Cam Theory: 6.0 LY6/ 6.2 L92 with exhaust manifolds

Looking for some general cam advice for a carbed LY6 using cast LS3 exhaust manifolds

GM rates the bone stock 2010 ls3 camaros at 426hp sae.
- I would like to see an observed 425-450hp figure at 4500ft elevation, and get the vehicle deep into the 11's if possible.

LY6, Carbed, exhaust manifolds. Is 525-550 flywheel hp possible?

- With my elevation and DA, at best I will see only 80-85% of that corrected 525-550hp number.

Race Weight range: 3250-3700lbs
Tire: 28"
Rear Gear: 4.10
Trans: undecided, llikely a TH350 or th400-full manual or possibly 200r4
Converter: as needed, 4000-4500 flash. I do own a TCI 8"
Elevation: 4500ft static, 6-7000ft summer DA

What are some things to consider in a faulty logic...retro style carb/exhuast manifold application regarding:

- lobe separation,
- lobe designs, ie ramp speed.
- Duration @ 050
- duration split,
- overlap
- lift, ect

The rest of the exhaust system on the car would be very free flowing with little in the way of restriction, ie, no cats, 3" fully mandrel bent, X-pipe, Dynomax ultra-flow mufflers, ect.

Obviously long tube headers are vastly superior and I will continue to investigate off the shelf header designs that may work in these vintage mopars. There are no LS headers specifically intended for these cars, thus using the exhaust manifolds would be so much easier. The intended use for these engines is for my 60's Mopars. They have some engine compartment challenges due to the rear steer draglink design, and torsion bars.

There are a few stock ls headers out there that look promising regarding fitment, but haphazardly purchasing several sets of $350-$800 headers just to test fit is completely out of the question. Custom headers might be an option down the road.

Note: Pardon the double post. If this thread isn't in the right area of the forum (carb and/or engine swap)
- perhaps a mod can move this thread if this would be better served in another area.
Attached Thumbnails Cam Theory: 6.0 LY6/ 6.2 L92 with exhaust manifolds-2010-camaro-ls3-exhaust-manifolds.jpg  
Old 01-23-2011 | 09:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

there are various diy ls header kits. and many versions of shorty and block hugger headers.
most times ive found the oval or triangle flages on stock cast manifolds intefere with something in most swaps.
the mild steel shorty can have theses flanges cut and have 3bolt or vband welded back on easily.
i prefer using vband or slip fit with u clamps if just a budget build.
use the exhaust tube tool to enlarge the tubing diameter for slip fit .
but more often than not i use vbands, since im just use to building turbo hotparts. the vbands in mild steel are lower priced than ss, easy to weld back on, provided an excellent seal and easy to dissasemble.
sometimes slip fit connections will be difficult to pull apart after a while of being on the road.plus more chances for leaks
Old 01-23-2011 | 09:52 AM
8 Second Club

you could just get a set of header flanges( https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-produ...l#post14294118 ), then modify some mopar headers to match up to the new flanges. This would be a fair bit of work, but not really difficult, just tedious.

Quick Reply: Cam Theory: 6.0 LY6/ 6.2 L92 with exhaust manifolds