Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

FAST XIM Controller?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 09:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default FAST XIM Controller?

Just wanted to throw this out there and see how many of you carb folks are running around with the FAST XIM standalone ignition controller.

This unit is available with a plug and play LS3 harness (which would work just fine on my l92). It has a built in two-step and appears to be two stages of retard, as well as being programmable.

It appears to be pretty common knowledge that the MSD boxes aren't the most reliable units on the market....but there really aren't too many other options either. So this leaves me with having to make the decision of swapping to a dizzy front cover, or bite the bullet and spend a little extra on the FAST.

...so with that being said, anybody running this setup? How do you like it? How was the layout of the harness?

Item description can be found here...
http://www.compperformancegroupstore...ory_Code=XIMGM
Old 02-11-2011, 11:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I understand the early MSDs had reliability problems, but the newer ones seem to be fine. BUT, with that being said, options are always nice. It appears to me that the fast setup is geared more towards fuel injected setups where the MSD is for carbed motors. The fast is nice, but probably has a lot of stuff that carb guys dont need. Thanks for the information, I didnt realize the fast computers were that affordable. Eric L
Old 02-12-2011, 12:32 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Yea, no one here that has one that is 3 years or newer sems to have issues unless they have wired it to a source that is insufficient for the required 12 volts. OTherwise, mine is just under the hood, exposed to the elements for a full year and has not skipped a beat, this is however, Texas heat, so it doesnt get any more brutal than this, 100* outside temps with humidity so thick you have to swim while walking.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

From all the postings I have read throughout the years, if the MSD box doesn't give you trouble when you first plug it in it never will.

The early ones had issues sensing crank signals, especially with the Callies cranks. Haven't seen a post like that in a couple of years.

I've had mine for over 3 years now and haven't had a single issue. The only improvement I would like to see is for MSD to add a wireless interface so it can be controlled through a phone or IPOD app.

IIFC by the time you buy the controller and the harness the FAST units are a good bit more expensive then the MSD units. Maybe that isn't true anymore.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've never had probes with any of the Msd boxes to date even with the edelbrock version.
It would be nice if the newer boxes featured use with smart phones as popnwood mentioned
Old 02-13-2011, 12:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmm...that's interesting information guys.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:14 PM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My 6012 will not accept the cam sensor signal. I still haven't figured it out. Engine runs great, but has starting problems when the 6012 guesses wrong.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:05 AM
10 Second Club

LOL, and the rest of us are still waiting for you to figure out why and let us know 3 pedals, lol. Eric L
Old 02-14-2011, 03:16 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 3pedals
My 6012 will not accept the cam sensor signal. I still haven't figured it out. Engine runs great, but has starting problems when the 6012 guesses wrong.

What cam sensor? I found that there are supposed to be a couple versions, LS2 cam sensor, then the GEN IV sensor at well as there different half moon designs for the timing gear, my buddies car is doing the same **** with EFI and i fear that mine will do the same **** when i get ready to install and fire it up.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:20 AM
11 Second Club

the first boxes had a software glitch that wouldnt let it fire all ya had to do was ship the box back and let them reload it and put back in the car it wasnt crank manf specfic stock cranks had a prob iirc

Quick Reply: FAST XIM Controller?