Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

What carbs you all running on your LSx?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 08:06 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

I had a couple carbs laying around. I was just going to build one and toss it on. But, since my build is a new build, there will be a lot going on, so I ordered a Pro Systems Pro 4150 carb yesterday. I am hoping it will be one less thing that might need immediate attention when the car is fired up for the first time.

Last edited by speedtigger; 02-17-2011 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by speedtigger
It may be a rule requirement of their class.
I believe you are right. I was reading an internet article just the other day where people were debating that. IIRC they said the rules committee was worried about tech verification of computer controlled motors and making sure they weren't using the computer to "drive" the car.

NASCAR has just announced they will be going EFI. Lets face it, it is only us gearheads that are still wedded to carbs.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at it this way guys...My proform was almost $600 shipped to my house. And I still had to tune it. If a Pro systems carb is only a little bit more money, and its all dialed in out of the box, then thats a hell of a deal. My carb can be frustrating as hell to tune. I even have a wideband.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:42 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
NASCAR has just announced they will be going EFI. Lets face it, it is only us gearheads that are still wedded to carbs.
Wow. I find that really surprising.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:17 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by cody161
If that is the case then why do all pro stock guys still run 4 barrel style carburetors? Most run a Dave Brasswell carb and we have built a few for testing but I'm not sure which one they ended up using through out the year for actual racing.
There are rules that require certain setups. And not everyone will jump off a cliff if it seems the thing to do.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:24 PM
In-Zane Moderator

I had a couple carbs laying around. I was just going to build one and toss it on. But, since my build is a new build, there will be a lot going on, so I ordered a Pro Systems Pro 4150 carb yesterday. I am hoping it will be one less thing that might need immediate attention when the car is fired up for the first time.
Everyone i know so far that has used pro systems usually just had to adjust the idle mixture, and that was just so it would idle a bit better when it was freezing outside.

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood

It is R&D, going EFI for NASCAR is good because the advancements that can be had using the fuel injection will make manufacturers usually have break throughs in the tech after beating the snot out of the parts to see what can be improved. NASCAR is not just for rednecks, it is for the future of vehicles to come.

Originally Posted by tennerv8
Look at it this way guys...My proform was almost $600 shipped to my house. And I still had to tune it. If a Pro systems carb is only a little bit more money, and its all dialed in out of the box, then thats a hell of a deal. My carb can be frustrating as hell to tune. I even have a wideband.
You have a carb that is thrown together, a Pro Systems takes your specs from a order sheet and they put together the parts needed to match a combination.

As for 600$ to the door, thats why i got a used 650, Proform main body and quick fuel base plate and put it together. That is about 300$ and my carb is as good as it can get without having a shop do some magic.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:53 PM
TECH Junkie

I knew I read it somewhere

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/02/11/n...-supply-contr/
Old 02-17-2011, 01:02 PM
In-Zane Moderator

We will see what happens, but to claim "more HP" is an insult as there are limitations to the induction, the restrictor plates hold back power and what not.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:04 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
NASCAR is not just for rednecks, it is for the future of vehicles to come.
I don't know about the redneck thing, but NASCAR is easily one of the least relevant forms of racing to benefit the advancement of the automobile. Tire manufacturers have learned a lot from NASCAR and they may have contributed to some aerodynamic improvements, but for the most part, all the most significant advances in automotive technology are against the rules in NASCAR.

Road Racing, Formula 1, Endurance Racing, Rally Racing and off-road are far better testbeds for automotive development.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got out the NHRA rulebook and sure enough it is a rule for pro stockers. But I also believe that if there was that much of a gain from it that more than just one company would be doing it. Anything that is custom spec'd for a specific car should be very close out of the box, but if you buy a off the shelf carburetor it is going to require more tuning. The off the shelf carburetor has to tailor to alot more engine combinations than just one specific one. Also unfortunately they are probably going to be a little on the rich side so someone doesn't blow up their engine and then blame it on the carb. I still stick with saying that a 4 barrel style carb can keep up with the SV1.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:26 PM
In-Zane Moderator

I don't know about the redneck thing, but NASCAR is easily one of the least relevant forms of racing to benefit the advancement of the automobile. Tire manufacturers have learned a lot from NASCAR and they may have contributed to some aerodynamic improvements, but for the most part, all the most significant advances in automotive technology are against the rules in NASCAR.

Road Racing, Formula 1, Endurance Racing, Rally Racing and off-road are far better testbeds for automotive development.

For as long as they stay in the revs for as long as they do, there is allot in those things. The fact they were running a 2 BBL carb and making that much power, there is allot in it and i believe it contributes plenty to manufacturers, where do you think our intakes came from?

I just got out the NHRA rulebook and sure enough it is a rule for pro stockers. But I also believe that if there was that much of a gain from it that more than just one company would be doing it. Anything that is custom spec'd for a specific car should be very close out of the box, but if you buy a off the shelf carburetor it is going to require more tuning. The off the shelf carburetor has to tailor to alot more engine combinations than just one specific one. Also unfortunately they are probably going to be a little on the rich side so someone doesn't blow up their engine and then blame it on the carb. I still stick with saying that a 4 barrel style carb can keep up with the SV1.
Like i said, it might be able to keep up, but they cannot be right there with them. Read all the feed back from the site. Tons of guys faster than we will ever be gaining from them. And as for other companies making them, it is only a matter of time, but it is hard to just start knocking off someones setup without facing a copy right infringement.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:47 PM
Old School Heavy

For as long as they stay in the revs for as long as they do, there is allot in those things. The fact they were running a 2 BBL carb and making that much power, there is allot in it and i believe it contributes plenty to manufacturers, where do you think our intakes came from?
I would say that automotive development lost interest in the performance of the two barrel carburetor long ago. The only people that care about that, are other roundy round class racers. As for the single plane intakes NASCAR uses, yeah those guys have taken that technology to its maximum, but again, that has no bearing on automotive development. The single plane manifold had precious few applications for OEM and certainly none in the last 30 years.

If you really want to see where the intake on your car comes from take a look at the old Holley Strip Dominator manifolds from the early 70s. I will not argue that NASCAR has not contributed to its refinement, but it was called the "strip" dominator.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:39 PM
In-Zane Moderator

I was saying the ability they have to do what they do with a 2 barrel is impressive, not that is had anything to do with vehicle advancement. But to say they will make more power with EFI is dumb as ling at there is a restriction on the intake, just like the C6R Corvette, with the restrictors, they actually dropped cubes from 427 to 5.5 liters for the class they are in, hey call it the C5.5R engine, preyy damn funny we have to lose cubes to be competitive with the restrictions.

But the internals and air flow is the part that is under the microscope to help development. A EFI intake is basically a single pain intake nowadays.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

The vette program also had to downgrade the heads as well. Because all the crybabie sore loser whiners.
I'm gonna hold onto my set of vintage 2003 C5R authentic heads
Old 02-17-2011, 10:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like i said, it might be able to keep up, but they cannot be right there with them. Read all the feed back from the site. Tons of guys faster than we will ever be gaining from them. And as for other companies making them, it is only a matter of time, but it is hard to just start knocking off someones setup without facing a copy right infringement.
Lol I disagree, I believe that a 4 barrel 4700 style carburetor can atleast keep up or could do better. But I'm not going to turn this into going back and forth, back and forth. The SV1 is fast and so are other manufacturers carbs, to each his own.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:44 AM
Old School Heavy

But to say they will make more power with EFI is dumb as ling at there is a restriction on the intake
I totally agree. They will restrict whatever intake they put on there to maintain what they deem are safe speeds.

A EFI intake is basically a single pain intake nowadays.
Modern EFI such as the LS1 and truck intakes are actually the evolution of the 85 Corvette Tuned Port manifolds. These equal length runner intakes were inspired by European fuel injection systems by the likes of Mercedes and BMW who where decades ahead of us in Fuel Injection.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:47 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Lol I disagree, I believe that a 4 barrel 4700 style carburetor can atleast keep up or could do better. But I'm not going to turn this into going back and forth, back and forth. The SV1 is fast and so are other manufacturers carbs, to each his own.

Just looking at results and research, less restriction and more flow, if the AFR is staying nominal and the carb is in sync, i doubt a 4 bbl could do as well, hang? Of course, outperform? Like i said, i doubt it, but no one can prove the 4 barrel can do better, or the EFI cars would have more than 1 TB, TPI, LT1, 2, then they went to 1 on the GEN III+. So it just makes since in every way to run harder with less to be turbulent ect. Otherwise, the EFI would be different.

To not agree to me really reminds me of the LT1 showing up and the TPI guys refusing to think it was better, then the LS1 showing up and the LT1 guys refusing to accept it was batter. It is evolution and we are just witnessing the next step of the carb.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:50 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Modern EFI such as the LS1 and truck intakes are actually the evolution of the 85 Corvette Tuned Port manifolds. These equal length runner intakes were inspired by European fuel injection systems by the likes of Mercedes and BMW who where decades ahead of us in Fuel Injection.
Yes, and there is no divider separating the right bank from the left.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:52 AM
Old School Heavy

The thing that I really like about EFI is the fact that it allows for more creativity in intake design. You can design ideal runner angles and lengths without the limitations of flowing fuel or carburetor location.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:59 AM
In-Zane Moderator

True true, they both have ups and downs, but i am a cheap *** broke white boy so carbs the world! LOL

Quick Reply: What carbs you all running on your LSx?