Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Anybody running an edelbrock carb

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody running an edelbrock carb

like the title says anyone running an edelbrock carb if so how big? I was looking at the 800cfm thunder series.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:02 PM
On The Tree

Im running one on my cammed LS3.Its a 750 manual choke...Runs absolutely great on it.Very streetable,good throttle response starts great cold, but it is holding it back on some potential power for sure.Im going with a Pro Systems carb here very soon.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhino83
like the title says anyone running an edelbrock carb if so how big? I was looking at the 800cfm thunder series.
I ran a 750 Edelbrock on an L92 head LS2 for awhile. It actually ran pretty good, but I was having a problem with an off idle stumble on hard acceleration. I switched to a Holley because of more tuning options, but I'm getting ready to give it another shot on a different combo. I think the Thunder series would have an advantage because it's much easier to tune the secondary opening point.

Last edited by rojs234; 03-01-2011 at 12:48 PM. Reason: added something
Old 03-01-2011, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My experience has mixed feelings. I have yet to find one that the floats are set correct. It's so bad I won't even install a new one without removing the top and setting both the height and drop first. This is after many years tuning on the dyno with an O2. You need to know that the float setting changes everything in the tune-up except pump shot. Also I've found that the primary meetering springs are too weak as the strongest spring won't lift the piston until vacuum goes above 8". This can cause the stumble when in the transition from idle to main circuit. I use a thin washer to add some spring pressure so the piston will lift @ 10-12 " of vacuum depending on the cam. On roots blower motors I've taken the meetering rods out and jetted like a Holley because they are very dificult to boost reference the power piston.
Also they are very sensative to fuel pressure. 5 lbs is about right.
Set the float, set the fuel pressure, then start tuning.
Aleck
Old 03-01-2011, 11:46 PM
On The Tree

if you want a streetable carb there is not a better carb than a edelcock , if you want a carb that will get you those last few hp than you better learn how to tune or fork out some cash for a pro systems.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:15 PM
Staging Lane

got my 800 performer today.going on the dual plane intake and msd 6010 box.maybe a cam come spring time
Old 03-17-2011, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

I absolutely hate them. Granted I am not an edelbrock expert but I have taken many of them off and replaced with a simple 3310 vac secondary. These carbs are easy to tune and the secondary spring is easy to change to make it more drivable. The only other option is a prosystems carb. We have had amazing luck with the new sv1 single bore and it can run on a 300 hp motor or an 800hp motor with a few minor changes. Edelbrock's do not work well after a rebuild like a holley or demon.

Quick Reply: Anybody running an edelbrock carb