Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

single or dualplane w fast EZ efi

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

for the record, i done think i will ever put a tire on that car that will hook at the track. thats not what this particular build is about. i am wanting a fast, well balanced street cruizer. my big concern on the intake is mainly hwy long haul driving. with the lockup converter in my trany, im thinking a cruize rpm around 2000-2200rpms at 70mph (i havent done the math on it, but that should be pretty close). i havent seen any #s on dyno pulls at that low an rpm. i just dont want to stumble and fight with the car for 200-300 miles because my intake doesnt match my cam.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The problem isn't going to be the intake not matching the cam so much as too much cam itself.

Your cam is fairly conservative, roughly equivalent duration as the GM hot cam but with much more lift. I can't imagine you having a worry with either intake. Your long tubes will help also.

I'm running an LS2 with stock LS6 cam, single plane GMPP intake, cathedral port heads and shorty headers on a 2500# car. With a 3.54 rear, 0.64 OD trans and 25.5 in tire I'm in 5th gear by 35 mph, car pulls smoothly from 1500 RPM. I can drive all day long and never go over 2000 RPM. Shifting is ofen optional. Yours should be even smoother with the extra cubes and EFI.

And even with your wider tire and 800 extra pounds, my guess is you too will have traction "problems" at low speeds. Quite the problem to have I'm here to tell you.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:08 PM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ive got 6.0L, MORE cam, less compression 9.6:1, 3400lb car, .64OD 5spd, 850 carb, Vc jr, and mine pulls cleanly from 1400.
I say dont fear the single plane, it will work well. However, either intake will be fine.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:15 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speedtigger has a very good point. The 25-30 lbs-ft of torque may be on the conservative side. Super Chevy in Feb of 2009 did a comparison of the single plane and the dual plane intakes in a 6.0l LS engine. Down at 3,200 rpm, the dual-plane intake offered an extra 44 lbs-ft of torque. The single-plane took over from 4,800 rpm on up, bettering the dual-plane by 10- to 12-hp. The decision comes down to where you want your power. There is no question, 44 lbs-ft of torque will be noticeable if you drive on the street.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

This ez Efi thing keeps looking better and better. I wonder how it does under pressure? Like 10-15psig
I see that it's supposed to handle up to 600bhp n/a but really haven't seen advertised to handle a boosted engine. I can build a 600 n/a engine . But won't bother with ez Efi for that. Just keep Thr carb for that level
I'm interested to see what it can support under boost and with upgraded injectors. It looks like it uses 4 low impendance injectors on rails. Idk they may be high impedance. But the built in wb02 used makes it really attractive for forced induction
I've been researching the blow thru prices of carbs and This ez Efi kit is comparable in price to a proper built blow thru carb from pro systems or csu
The carb I'm gonna need is priced around 1300$
Old 04-04-2011, 09:35 AM
TECH Junkie

The FAST EFi specifically mentions it is not to be used for boost. Look through some of the articles linked earlier, they explain why.

Holley makes a system with similar claims.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:36 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
The FAST EFi specifically mentions it is not to be used for boost. Look through some of the articles linked earlier, they explain why.

Holley makes a system with similar claims.
*Pop N Wood* is right about the Fast EZ EFI. I downloaded the instructions for the Fast unit and they specifically say not for boost or nitrous. BUT.....I also downloaded the instructions for the Powerjection lll from Professional Products and their unit will accept boost and nitrous and uses a wideband and adaptive learning very similar and in some respects looks better than the FAST unit. If I can sell more stuff and come up with the money, I am seriously considering buying one of the Powerjection lll units. Check it out. www.professional-products.com

Last edited by rojs234; 04-04-2011 at 02:31 PM. Reason: added web address
Old 04-04-2011, 11:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yea. I saw the pro products does accept the use of boost. However it looks significantly different from the fast. The tb for example. On the fast it's clear it uses rails with injectors
and the pro products looks like a carb like housing thing. With a log. They both use wb02 sensors built in. And the fast looks like it comes witha handheld tuner device.
I don't see why fast didn't give it psig capability?
Old 04-04-2011, 12:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NemeSS
Yea. I saw the pro products does accept the use of boost. However it looks significantly different from the fast. The tb for example. On the fast it's clear it uses rails with injectors
and the pro products looks like a carb like housing thing. With a log. They both use wb02 sensors built in. And the fast looks like it comes witha handheld tuner device.
I don't see why fast didn't give it psig capability?
What I liked about the Powerjection lll was the fact you can hook up to your laptop and change the A/F ratios and it will log everything if you want, and it will tune itself also. It says in the instructions that you can also put bigger injectors on it. I also liked it better because it has the ECU mounted in under the bowls which is also where the injectors are and you don't have that big wad of wires running everywhere like the FAST unit does. I just wish I could talk to someone who had tried one. I did communicate with a guy on Innovates site who had one on a race type 302 Ford and he said his worked great.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

So I guess the injectors are located inside the housing in the pro products tb.
I'm interested in this thing for forced induction. Guess I'm gonna keep researching
Iirc pro products used to be a sponsor here some time back. But idk if they still are. A rep used to answer alot and any questions about pro products. But no more I guess
Old 04-04-2011, 02:05 PM
TECH Resident

I'll let you guys know how the EZ-EFI turns out on my LY6 cammed '69 442 as pictured below. Using all FAST stuff...EZ-EFI, EZ-TCU, MSD 6012 and SPAL fan controls.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 04-04-2011, 02:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NemeSS
So I guess the injectors are located inside the housing in the pro products tb.
I'm interested in this thing for forced induction. Guess I'm gonna keep researching
Iirc pro products used to be a sponsor here some time back. But idk if they still are. A rep used to answer alot and any questions about pro products. But no more I guess
I looked on their web site again and it says they come with four 62lb. injectors. The ECU and MAP and such are located on the side of throttle body, so injectors would have to be located front and rear. Works with up to 21lbs. of boost. If you download their instructions, it has a section telling you how to set it up on a blown engine. I'm almost certain I saw something about installing bigger injectors, but could'nt find it on a quick revue. I'll keep looking.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BanditDave
I'll let you guys know how the EZ-EFI turns out on my LY6 cammed '69 442 as pictured below. Using all FAST stuff...EZ-EFI, EZ-TCU, MSD 6012 and SPAL fan controls.

Thanks,
Dave
Hope you or *newschool72* gets going soon. I think I may try either the Fast or the Powerjection lll. Is that the GM intake? Your setup looks great!
Old 04-05-2011, 06:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rojs234
Hope you or *newschool72* gets going soon. I think I may try either the Fast or the Powerjection lll. Is that the GM intake? Your setup looks great!
Yessir...that's the GM intake...found it brand new for a steal on Ebay so I couldn't pass it up. If I ever get my damn accessory drive from Pace Performance I can have her running pretty quickly.

Thanks for the kind words!

Dave
Old 04-05-2011, 07:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why the interest in the GMPP dual plane and not an Edelbrock???
I am a dual plane guy. With all the extra torque you may have a traction problem on the line but once you are rolling and hit 2nd gear it will pull like a freight train. Torque and traction win on the street. Any vehicle with a decent converter and non-drag type tires is going to have a traction problem.

Last edited by Paul57; 04-06-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:44 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Paul57
Why the interest in the GMPP dual plane and not an Edelbrock???
I am a dual plane guy. With all the extra torque you may have a traction problem on the line but once you are rolling and hit 2nd gear it will pull like a freight train. Torque and traction win on the street. Any vehicle with a large converter and non-drag type tires is going to have a traction problem.
I don't think Edelbrock makes a dual plane yet for the L92 heads, although there are a lot of people who wish they would. A lot of people would try the GM piece if it was'nt so high priced>
Old 04-06-2011, 11:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a feeling that is what I was going to here (not making one yet).

Quick Reply: single or dualplane w fast EZ efi