Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Can I add PCV to

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 11:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can I add PCV to

my custom valley cover? All I need to do is drill and tap it, then run a fitting. Then I can run the hose back in the carb vacuum line some where?

Old 04-14-2011, 08:01 AM
On The Tree

You can but,you will need to be sure you have some sort of baffling to avoid sucking oil out of the valley.Of course you will need a breather in one of the valve covers as well.If that is going into a first or second gen Nova I fear those valve covers will be a problem.Wiper bump conflict? brake booster?? heater blower??This will all depend on your engine placement,looks to me like with the CBR mouning position these could be issues.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

GM moved the PCV hook up to the valley cover when they made the LS6. They added a maze of plumbing to the underside of the valley cover to try and keep oil out of the vent line. Oil in the intake severely lowers the effective octane of the fuel and can lead to detonation.

Oil in the PCV line has been a problem throughout the LS motor’s hsitory. Seems like every new block type includes some type of mod for improved crankcase breathing and oil control.

If all you do is drill a hole, then make absolutely certain you add some type of catch can in the line and check it regularly for oil. If you start catching too much oil then you may want to rethink your set up.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:43 AM
On The Tree

Sounds good, I will run a check valve in the rubber line. I will also run a breather off the VC. Nova404, I hadnt thought of clearance of the wiper motor or blower. I have all Chuck's CBR set-up going in as well. We will see.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:32 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Thinking of running a catch can on my 5.3 with no PCV. There is no prevision for a PCV on my 5.3 anyway.

Quick Reply: Can I add PCV to