Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Carbed LS1 diesels when shut off

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 02:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rojs234
I know this is a dumb question, but both *speedtigger* and myself had a lapse on this just recently. The Performer RPM has a 10/32 threaded hole on one of the front runners to bolt MSD box on. You would think this would be a blind threaded hole, but it goes through into the runner. If you don't use it to bolt the box on, it needs a 10/32 screw in it. Just a thought, Ron
Oh my, ha ha. I didn't even think about that.... I have my box mounted on the wheel well. I'll have to check that tomorrow for sure. Crazy design yes that's for sure.
Attached Thumbnails Carbed LS1 diesels when shut off-photo0418.jpg   Carbed LS1 diesels when shut off-photo0402.jpg   Carbed LS1 diesels when shut off-photo0403.jpg  
Old 05-19-2011, 01:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Na306StAnG
If that doesn't fix it. Does it do this no matter how hot or cold it is? Hows the cooling fan's wired? I've seen cooling fans wired incorrectly and cause problems like your having.

Goodluck!
Ive seen this first hand. One wire alternator also. It was backfeeding 12v to the ign side of the MSD
Old 05-19-2011, 06:09 PM
MASS seller approved

I would have overlooked this for sure. Thank you!
Old 05-19-2011, 06:17 PM
On The Tree

are you sure you are losing 12v to the ign box when you shut key off? you may have some back feed to the box causing it to still send a weak spark to eng.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by hotrodth
are you sure you are losing 12v to the ign box when you shut key off? you may have some back feed to the box causing it to still send a weak spark to eng.
How would I check that? Would a switch in the msd ign wire solve a feedback problem?
Old 05-20-2011, 01:55 AM
MASS seller approved

I meant the vacuum leak from the thru-tapped hole in the intake manifold...
Old 05-20-2011, 06:53 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Dans69LS1velle
How would I check that? Would a switch in the msd ign wire solve a feedback problem?
You could certainly test it to see if it is the problem that way. Just make sure it is the ignition signal wire that you switch.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:40 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think you could check that with a volt meter (multi-meter) hooked up to the 12 volt source to the MSD box. Just watch the meter when you turn off the ignition switch. Ron
Old 05-20-2011, 03:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rojs234
I would think you could check that with a volt meter (multi-meter) hooked up to the 12 volt source to the MSD box. Just watch the meter when you turn off the ignition switch. Ron
best and easiest way for sure.
i had this same proble in an old s10 i built with a v8 in it years ago. i found that when i shut key off it would still half *** run. i actually ran a toggle switch under dash to act as a key and ran a push button start. took care of problem. i still used key for all other things though. hope i was some help and good luck fixing the problem. i hate small annoying things like this
Old 05-23-2011, 11:59 AM
Staging Lane

Whe i put my Caddy together the electric fans would actually produce voltage until they stopped spinning. The engine would continue to run crappy for a few moments even though the ign was turned off, then it would shut off once the fans slowed enough. I moved the power source for the fans to a different battery voltage circuit and problem solved. You can easily check this condition using a test light the ign source circuit to the msd box(red wire) and should instantly go out not dim out slowly.

If the problem were related to a one wire alternator the car would simply not shut off until the one wire feed to the alt were disconnected but im guessing it would depend on how the 12v ign feed to the MSD was wired.

Hope this helps diag.....
Old 05-23-2011, 07:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Kwikcad500
Whe i put my Caddy together the electric fans would actually produce voltage until they stopped spinning. The engine would continue to run crappy for a few moments even though the ign was turned off, then it would shut off once the fans slowed enough. I moved the power source for the fans to a different battery voltage circuit and problem solved. You can easily check this condition using a test light the ign source circuit to the msd box(red wire) and should instantly go out not dim out slowly.

If the problem were related to a one wire alternator the car would simply not shut off until the one wire feed to the alt were disconnected but im guessing it would depend on how the 12v ign feed to the MSD was wired.

My electric fans are on a different circuit. My car would diesel even when the fans were off. My MSD ign wire is wired to the original key switch ing source that would normally go to the coil or dist on the stock gen 1 motor. I had found a vacuum leak. I fixed that and now I'm changing the intake gaskets. I had the carb and timing tuned to a vacuum leak lol. So once I retune after the vacuum leak is fixed, I will get back to you guys....
Old 05-28-2011, 08:23 PM
Staging Lane

Ok anybody want to buy an ls1?? Ive tried it all and it still diesels when I shut it off. I got it to stop dieseling but then it wont idle in gear... Is it cause I have 91 fuel?? Should I have an higher octane??
Old 05-28-2011, 08:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Kwikcad500

It doesn't run crappy. it runs backwards. Si it's not a feedback problem. I put a switch in the wire and shut off the power to the msd box that way and it still dieseles. Im hoping it's the fuel not being a higher octane.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:01 PM
Old School Heavy

Ok anybody want to buy an ls1?? Ive tried it all and it still diesels when I shut it off. I got it to stop dieseling but then it wont idle in gear... Is it cause I have 91 fuel?? Should I have an higher octane??
It doesn't run crappy. it runs backwards. Si it's not a feedback problem. I put a switch in the wire and shut off the power to the msd box that way and it still dieseles. Im hoping it's the fuel not being a higher octane.
Which is it Dan? Did it or did it not stop running on when you turn it off?
Old 05-28-2011, 09:16 PM
Staging Lane

It wouldn't stop running. It runs backwards, spits and smokes out the carb.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:35 PM
9 Second Club

fuel may be getting by the needle and seat and keeping the motor dieseling
Old 05-28-2011, 10:57 PM
Old School Heavy

It wouldn't stop running. It runs backwards, spits and smokes out the carb.
Both the running on and the running backwards sounds to me like symptoms of heavily retarded timing or overly rich mixture. The only way it can run backwards is if it is puking unburned or raw fuel into the exhaust. Are the spark plugs black?
Old 05-29-2011, 08:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^^ what he said

You might have gunked it up trying to make it run with the vac leak. Low octane gas probably isn't helping.

I would top off the tank with high octane gas then get it out on the road and "burn out the carbon". See if you can get a can of race gas or aviation gas. Run it at high speeed to clean out the chambers.

You also need to make absolutely certain there are no leaking gaskets or poorly seating surfaces in the carb. Even new carbs can have internal leaks if a gasket isn't seating right.

Did you check for other vac leaks? There were a couple of times I left my PCV hose disconnected and the car did pretty much what you are saying. If you can get it to idle again start spraying propane near all the carb parts, hose connections and intake gaskets. I normally use starter fluid instead of propane, but if you are backfiring through the carb I would stick to the propane for now.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine diesles too and i have no other symptoms.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What we did and so far has stoped the issue we had. 40 degrees at idle. Make sure the intake is sealed up. The throttle returns to the idle screw.

This is with 87 oct 91 degree day with 200 water temp

Tim

Quick Reply: Carbed LS1 diesels when shut off