Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Need Expert Advise on Piston/Valve clearence solution

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 11:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Expert Advise on Piston/Valve clearence solution

I really messed things up on my motor build. Here's what I have;

04 Corvette LS1 bottom end with stock rods, pistons, crankshaft. New rings and bearings with stock deck height

Aftermarket heads ported and polished flowing 330 at .640 lift, big valves with stock 0.045 thick head gasket, 62cc 10.75:1 compression

Texas Speed MS4 camshaft 0.649 lift intake

GMPP carburated intake and GMPP front distributor drive setup

Problem: 0.000 clearence between piston and intake valve
Problem: 0.025 clearence between piston and exhaust valve

I did not contemplate the impact of the larger valves in my math. As I see it I have a few different options.

1. new pistons with valve reliefs ($800)
2. lower lift camshaft ($350)
3. fly cut stock pistons and put thicker head gasket in ($450)

I have concerns with each of the above and the impact to projected power output. If I was to have a camshaft ground what would be the largest duration at 0.50 and lift I should be shooting for to get the most flow out of the heads. Also, what is the minimum comfortable clearence for piston to valve 0.060?

Any help would be appreciated
Old 06-14-2011, 03:45 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

What is wrong with flycutting the slugs and no gasket swap?
Old 06-14-2011, 09:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fly cut the pistons and be done with it. If done right, you won't need a thicker head gasket. Also with the proper tools this can be done with pistons in the block. You will not need to rebalance the rotating assembly either.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:48 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 94mustang
Fly cut the pistons and be done with it. If done right, you won't need a thicker head gasket. Also with the proper tools this can be done with pistons in the block. You will not need to rebalance the rotating assembly either.
I agree with this. You can easily do it yourself at nowhere near your proposed $450. Go up to search and type in flycut pistons. There is all kinds of info there about a tool made by Dave Lindy at Lindy Tools. You can buy or rent the tools and do it yourself in a few hours. I've used the tool myself. NO BIG DEAL. Call Dave... he's a super nice guy.