Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Finally got my carb'd LS project on the street

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1badeagle
Its so funny that I see this post on here just now. I just watched all your videos on youtube this morning. Damn does that thing ever hook and stretch up in the air.
Thanks man. I've done a lot of work to the front suspension to get it that way. It hooks great for now; I hope it continues to as I put more power to it in the future.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:50 PM
TECH Addict

Thats a badass ride man....Im building an 81 camaro i hope will be even near your car! did you use the corvette accessories?
Old 12-01-2011, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wildcamaro
Thats a badass ride man....Im building an 81 camaro i hope will be even near your car! did you use the corvette accessories?
Thanks man! What are your exact plans for your 81? Got a build thread?

I actually used the F-body accessories. Main reason was because I also own a 4th Gen F-body and thought it would be nice to have the two cars share as many common parts as possible.....just to make it easier to keep spares on hand or rob from one to fix the other in an emergency (alternator failure, etc.)

Where are you at in Western PA? I grew up in NW PA.....Franklin/Oil City area.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I went back to the track yesterday to do some more testing and I have some interesting results to share. My previous best ET/MPH were achieved through a full 3-inch exhaust with an x-pipe, Flowmaster 40-series mufflers, and full tail pipes. So this time out, I wanted to see if there was anything to be gained with by ditching the exhaust system and running open headers. Since I had already set a baseline "best time" with the exhaust on, I took the exhuast off before heading to the track. To achieve a fair standard for comparing runs made on different days, I have corrected all my timeslips down to a DA of 0ft. This should eliminate any day to day weather effects on power.

So just as a reminder, here are the conditions and results of my previous best pass made on 19 November.

Previous Best (through exhaust)
DA: 4572ft
Launch: 3800RPM
60’: 1.70
1/8: 7.49
MPH: 92.73
1/4: 11.74
MPH: 115.41
This pass corrects to 11.07@122.34 at a DA of 0ft

And now for my results from yesterday......

First Pass (without exhaust)
DA: 3908ft
60’: 1.67
1/8: 7.33
MPH: 94.36
1/4: 11.50
MPH: 117.63
This pass corrects to 10.95@123.60 at a DA of 0ft

Initially this pass looks to have shown an impressive gain over my previous best. Even when comparing the corrected times, this is .12 sec quicker and 1.25 MPH faster than my previous best. However, the first thing to consider is that the exhaust I removed weighed 71 lbs. Following the rule of thumb that says a 100lb weight reduction is equal to about .1 sec ET reduction initially tells me this gain was mostly from the weight savings. However, based on my next two runs, I'm thinking even more so that this gain was almost completely because of the intake manifold and carburetor being completely cold on the first pass and had nothing to do with the exhaust at all. You'll see why in a second when you look at my second and third passes with no changes made to the car at all besides heat soak.

Second Pass (without exhaust)
DA: 3908ft
60’: 1.70
1/8: 7.43
MPH: 94.24
1/4: 11.62
MPH: 116.98
This pass corrects to 11.06@122.92 at a DA of 0ft

The interesting thing about this pass is that it was made in the same DA as the first pass, just 30 mins later. So the only difference between these two passes was the amount of heat the intake had soaked up. The engine was warmed up to around 150 for the first pass, but I'm certain the intake wasn't very warm. The water temp was the same on the second pass, but I'm certain the intake was heat soaked after sitting only 30 minutes. So for this reason I consider my first pass to be a cold "throw away" pass. Now compare the corrected time on my second pass with the corrected time of my "previous best with exhaust" pass. You'll see there was virtually no gain at all in ET and a very modest MPH gain without the exhaust, as the corrected times were almost identical. But wait there's more....... I still wanted to make a third pass to backup to the second heat soaked run. The third pass was made 45 mins later in slightly worse DA.

Third Pass (without exhaust)
DA: 4100ft
60’: 1.72
1/8: 7.46
MPH: 93.58
1/4: 11.67
MPH: 116.46
This pass corrects to 11.08@122.96 at a DA of 0ft

Notice how the 60', ET, and MPH all fell off slightly from the second pass due to the slightly higher DA. Yet the corrected ET and MPH again almost exactly match both the second pass and my previous best with exhaust. To me this again proves there was no gain by removing the exhaust.

Next up was to test with the addition of a 1-inch HVH Super Sucker carb spacer. I have heard mixed results with these things so of course I had to try it for myself. All I can say is that I'm "skeptically" pleased with my purchase. The results speak for themself, but with one caveat that I will address in a minute.

Fourth Pass (without exhaust/added HVH spacer)
DA: 4300ft
60’: 1.64
1/8: 7.33
MPH: 94.32
1/4: 11.51
MPH: 117.19
This pass corrects to 10.90@123.79 at a DA of 0ft

Man was I happy after this pass! Notice the DA was up an additional 200ft from my last pass, yet I ran my second quickest/fastest pass of the day. Comparing this pass's corrected values to that of my 2nd and 3rd passes, I show an average "corrected" gain of .17 and .85 MPH. My only skeptasim with this gain is that the intake was allowed to cool more, both before and during the install of the spacer. In fact, there was almost 2 hours between pass number three and pass number four. So one might say it is more fair to compare pass four to pass number one when the intake was much cooler. When you make that comparison, you still see a "corrected" gain of .05 sec and .19 MPH with the spacer. But I'm here to tell you that, even with almost two hours to cool, the intake was still much warmer on pass four than it was on pass one. The real test would have been to make one more pass with the spacer after a shorter cool down period, but unfortunately the staging lanes closed before I could make that happen. So I guess that just gives me an excuse for more testing another day.

Given my results this far I have drawn these two conclusions:

1. The exhaust is going back on the car and will probably stay there.

2. The HVH spacer was worthwhile, even if the intake temp is questionable.

Last edited by GC99TA; 01-15-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice runs man! Congratulations on getting into the 10's!

Bruce
Old 01-15-2012, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitterman
Nice runs man! Congratulations on getting into the 10's!

Bruce
Thanks for the congratulations Bruce, but to be clear the best "actual" pass was an 11.50. The ten second times were corrected to sea level for a basis for fair comparison.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GC99TA
Thanks for the congratulations Bruce, but to be clear the best "actual" pass was an 11.50. The ten second times were corrected to sea level for a basis for fair comparison.
Yeah I noticed that.. The way I look at it the right track and good conditions your car could make the 10's

That's a rocking street car!

Bruce
Old 01-15-2012, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I noticed that.. The way I look at it the right track and good conditions your car could make the 10's

That's a rocking street car!

Bruce
Gotcha, and thanks again! I just didn't want anyone to think I was trying to say the car did something that it didn't do.....LOL. Hopefully when I get back east late this summer, I can take the car to MIR (80ft actual elevation) and make some passes on a cool fall evening and get an actual 10 second slip!
Old 01-15-2012, 02:55 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice results. Were you using 87 Octane gas this time as well?

I have many acquaintances that have gone faster once they changed out their restrictive Flowmaster mufflers for something straight through like a Dynomax UltraFlo.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by topbrent
Nice results. Were you using 87 Octane gas this time as well?

I have many acquaintances that have gone faster once they changed out their restrictive Flowmaster mufflers for something straight through like a Dynomax UltraFlo.
Thanks man! Yeah, I'm still running Shell 87 octane.

I'm curious now if changing out the mufflers for something less restrictive than the Flowmasters would even matter at this point? Seeing as how the car ran basically the same with and without exhaust, it seems the Flowmasters aren't really causing a restriction at my current power level? Of course, once I make more power in better air conditions (closer to sea level), all this testing may be out the window? I'm sure the 87 will be out the window at that point too......

Maybe once I get to a point where the current exhaust slows the car down, I'll try something straight through like the Dynomax's. I'll have to search for some similar combo's running them to see how they sound. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:20 PM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats on the new best!
Time for a roll bar lol
Old 01-15-2012, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 3pedals
Congrats on the new best!
Time for a roll bar lol
Thanks man. The car actually already has a chromoly 10-point cage so I'm still in overkill mode . Yeah.......I anticipated early on that this car would get out of hand so I over built mostly everything.......except the rear end....... . That will be my next major expense.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:39 PM
Launching!

Love the car man...looks like your hard work paid off. enjoy it!
Old 01-16-2012, 07:39 AM
Launching!

I'm curious now if changing out the mufflers for something less restrictive than the Flowmasters would even matter at this point? Seeing as how the car ran basically the same with and without exhaust, it seems the Flowmasters aren't really causing a restriction at my current power level?
Changing to dynomax, might give you a small amount but not sure how much?

How much flow do your Flowmasters have? You can use the dynomax chart http://www.dynomax.com/assets/2010ca...ch_section.pdf to determine what the current flow will. I noticed a 40 series flowmaster in the dynomax vt advertisment are showing about 372 CFM but its only 2.5" so if you take into account 3' you are still goign to flow about 1.44 X that.... so about 536 CFM and knowing marketing Dynomax picked a lower flowing model... even at this you have about 490-500 loose free Hp according to the flow table in the Dynomax tech section.

So will you gain much? I don't think so. You might gain some however. How much more than 500 are you making? Then take a small percentage of that difference. Also have to take account for area under the curve. Having a slight restriction may help low to mid range power some. Also your loss is only most likely at the very top of your RPM band.

For my car I might take the risk on the Dynomax VT but the spring scares me in terms of how long will they last? I want to keep my car a quiet as possible when driving around town as the Police can be nasty here ............ But at WOT they should not affect power any and supposedly get rid of the drone.... and I live about 45 Miles to work and would like to drive my car to work and the drone could get annoying after a bit.

Bruce
Old 01-16-2012, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MTC_75vette
Love the car man...looks like your hard work paid off. enjoy it!
Thanks man...I'm having a blast with it so far!

Changing to dynomax, might give you a small amount but not sure how much?

How much flow do your Flowmasters have? You can use the dynomax chart http://www.dynomax.com/assets/2010ca...ch_section.pdf to determine what the current flow will. I noticed a 40 series flowmaster in the dynomax vt advertisment are showing about 372 CFM but its only 2.5" so if you take into account 3' you are still goign to flow about 1.44 X that.... so about 536 CFM and knowing marketing Dynomax picked a lower flowing model... even at this you have about 490-500 loose free Hp according to the flow table in the Dynomax tech section.

So will you gain much? I don't think so. You might gain some however. How much more than 500 are you making? Then take a small percentage of that difference. Also have to take account for area under the curve. Having a slight restriction may help low to mid range power some. Also your loss is only most likely at the very top of your RPM band.

For my car I might take the risk on the Dynomax VT but the spring scares me in terms of how long will they last? I want to keep my car a quiet as possible when driving around town as the Police can be nasty here ............ But at WOT they should not affect power any and supposedly get rid of the drone.... and I live about 45 Miles to work and would like to drive my car to work and the drone could get annoying after a bit.

Bruce
Thats an interesting chart.....thanks for the link. I'm guessing whatever amount of restriction (or lack thereof) is in my current system is optimized for my current combo since I neither gained nor lost with/without the exhaust. Im not sure how much more than 500 I'm making at the flywheel, but I'm guessing not much, if any at all, at this elevation. Of course all of this could change at sea level; the exhaust system could become a slight restriction if the car made significantly more power down there......but still probably not a crippling restriction I guess.

Those VT's are an interesting concept, but I think I'd have the same apprehension as you with the internal springs. Does your current system have an x-pipe? I can't swear to it, but I credit my x-pipe with the lack of drone in my system. I get no drone or rasp at all with my system at any RPM I cruise at, but I've ridden in other cars (with H-pipes or no crossover) where it was unbearable. You definately don't want to be miserable driving your car or you never will drive it at all......at least that's how I am.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:22 PM
Launching!

Does your current system have an x-pipe? I can't swear to it, but I credit my x-pipe with the lack of drone in my system. I get no drone or rasp at all with my system at any RPM I cruise at, but I've ridden in other cars (with H-pipes or no crossover) where it was unbearable. You definately don't want to be miserable driving your car or you never will drive it at all......at least that's how I am.
The whole car is under construction right now. I plan for a complete 3" exhaust system with x-pipe. Off for body work soon.. Engine is on an engine stand etc.... cam on the way, tranz on the way converter on the way etc

Bruce
Old 01-17-2012, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes you need to add jetting when you reduce the backpressure. Every car is different. Also as the air inlet temp goes up the airflow goes down just because hot air takes up more space. Maybe the jetting needs to be adjusted.
Aleck
Old 01-17-2012, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stinkybutt
Sometimes you need to add jetting when you reduce the backpressure. Every car is different. Also as the air inlet temp goes up the airflow goes down just because hot air takes up more space. Maybe the jetting needs to be adjusted.
Aleck
That's an interesting point on the jetting Aleck. I just pulled a few plugs yesterday to have a look. They don't appear to have much color at all on the porcelain and the straps are pretty white. But, the timing mark appears to be good. Here are my number 5 and number 7 plugs. What do you think?

Old 01-17-2012, 09:08 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 65 Likes on 36 Posts

Looks like your idle mixture is bit rich. Do you have a wideband?
Old 01-17-2012, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Looks like your idle mixture is bit rich. Do you have a wideband?
I was thinking the same thing. I had it idling leaner at one point, but it was so lean that it would shut down if I jumped on the throttle and then let off quickly (like after a quick burnout). So I slowly fattened it up until it quit doing that. But of course that was in much different weather than now, so I probably need to give it another try.

I do have a wideband but it's on my Trans Am, which is in storage in Pennsylvania.....LOL. But I may get another one for this car since the one in the TA is more of a "pemanent" install (aka, pain in the *** to take back out for temporary use). I have a couple bungs that I'm probably going to weld into my exhaust before I put it back on. I know I really only need one bung, but my buddy has a FAST wideband with dual sensors that I may be able to borrow at some point.

Quick Reply: Finally got my carb'd LS project on the street