Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Finally got my carb'd LS project on the street

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well guys, I was doing some thinking tonight about the way I calculated and presented my track results after removing the exhaust. It occured to me that I was only comparing my best run with the exhaust to all of my runs without. What that came down to was that my best run with exhaust was equal to my worst runs without. So instead I went back and looked at the corrected times for ALL the passes through the exhaust on 19 November, and this is how it looks:

First Pass
11.12 @ 120.65

Second Pass
11.21 @ 120.52

Third Pass
11.17 @ 120.93

Fourth Pass
11.07 @ 122.34

Fifth Pass
11.13 @ 122.52

So the average ET and MPH for all these passes is 11.14 @ 121.39

And since I've already listed the corrected times for my "without exhaust" passes in a previous post, I'll just list the average of those runs. I'm only averaging the first three passes since the fourth pass was made with the HVH spacer.

The average ET and MPH for the "without exhaust" passes is 11.03 @ 123.16

So when looking at my data this way, I had an average gain of .11 sec and 1.77 mph by removing the exhaust. This is still not enough for me to want to pull the exhaust off the car regularly to hit the track and it still makes me feel good about the efficiency of my exhaust system. However, it's also good to know that my car is at least consistent enough to show a gain when 71lbs is removed (that had me confused), and it shows there is a modest amount of horsepower to be freed up if I ever need that last little bit to push me past an ET goal.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:22 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you re-jet for the pulled exhaust to keep things at the same AFR?

If not you don't have a perfect comparison. When you pull the exhaust, typically you are going to get more suck from the headers without the back pressure and intern pull more through the carb. Not in all cases but most the time it requires some minor tinkering with the carb to keep the air fuel ratios the same..... Once you get a wideband on your car you can better access the situation. you might also be able to do some more tuning and get a small amount of et there. It will also allow you to see were you are across the whole power band to ensure your AFR is as close to the desired value as possible.

In terms of reading the plugs was the car shutdown right at the top end? If not you could be getting misleading results if you drove it back to the pits... Also reading plug with unleaded fuel is not as good a tool as it was with leaded gas. It can still be used (I don't like to) but it takes more time to color a set of plugs.

We used to when a car was going to the track for the first time get some leaded gas so we could read the plugs better before wide bands became more affordable.

Bruce
Old 01-18-2012, 06:59 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm still recovering from back surgery
i feel your pain lol, car is killer my fav camaro
Old 01-18-2012, 07:58 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

It is a pain to pull the exhaust for sure, but at least you can say the car went 10s now.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitterman
Did you re-jet for the pulled exhaust to keep things at the same AFR?

If not you don't have a perfect comparison. When you pull the exhaust, typically you are going to get more suck from the headers without the back pressure and intern pull more through the carb. Not in all cases but most the time it requires some minor tinkering with the carb to keep the air fuel ratios the same..... Once you get a wideband on your car you can better access the situation. you might also be able to do some more tuning and get a small amount of et there. It will also allow you to see were you are across the whole power band to ensure your AFR is as close to the desired value as possible.

In terms of reading the plugs was the car shutdown right at the top end? If not you could be getting misleading results if you drove it back to the pits... Also reading plug with unleaded fuel is not as good a tool as it was with leaded gas. It can still be used (I don't like to) but it takes more time to color a set of plugs.

We used to when a car was going to the track for the first time get some leaded gas so we could read the plugs better before wide bands became more affordable.

Bruce
No, I didn't rejet for the change at all. In fact, I haven't done anything to this carb besides try and get it to idle better than it did when it first showed up. The carb came from Prosystems with 76/86 jets, which I figured would be rich for this little 364 at this altitude, but it's what Patrick recommended. Without a wideband or an ability to really read plugs with the unleaded fuel, I guess I could jet a little up or down a little bit and see what it does to the MPH. But I'll most likely just wait until I have access to a wideband. Oh, and no.....the car wasn't shut down at the top to read the plugs. Taking a look at them was kind of an afterthought to be honest. All good points though....
Old 01-18-2012, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
i feel your pain lol, car is killer my fav camaro
Thanks Bob for the compliment.....I'm glad you like the car. Oh, and I hope your back is better......I know mine is much better after surgery!

Originally Posted by speedtigger
It is a pain to pull the exhaust for sure, but at least you can say the car went 10s now.
This is true. Like I said before I tested this.......even if it's just enough to push me over that little extra bit, it's worthwhile. I just probably won't pull it off for every trip to the track. I'll keep that option in my hip pocket for when I get to a track much closer to sea level and if the car is running 11.0's, the exhaust will come off..........
Old 01-18-2012, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did a little work tonight in preparation for eventual wideband use.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:35 PM
10 Second Club

Would it be wrong of me to comment on how well your bung holes look? Lol, sorry im doing it anyways.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Prorac1
Would it be wrong of me to comment on how well your bung holes look? Lol, sorry im doing it anyways.
Is it wrong that I have two of them? LOL !
Old 01-18-2012, 11:01 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by GC99TA
Is it wrong that I have two of them? LOL !
I guess I missed that detail, lol. I guess you can now hope in one hand and crap in...................................both hands, lol.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tonight I put the exhaust system back on and screwed in a couple narrow band O2 sensors into my new bungs, just to be sure I got the bungs positioned where I intended to have enough clearance for the sensors. Looks like they'll work just fine. I have a couple plugs coming from Summit in a few days to screw in until I have access to a wideband.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:40 PM
Teching In

Sweet ride.
Love that body style of camaro.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by race-a-holic
Sweet ride.
Love that body style of camaro.
Thanks man.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just ordered some new toys to play with the next time I hit the track.......

FAST Dual Sensor Wideband

And a Holley Jet Kit
Old 02-14-2012, 04:26 PM
Old School Heavy

I would think at your altitude that a jet kit would be mandatory.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would think at your altitude that a jet kit would be mandatory.
Yep, just finally getting around to picking one up. This is my first carbureted car in over 15 years, so I didn't have one on hand. Prosystems said they set the carb up for my altitude out here, but at 76/86 at this altitude.......I have to think it's rich. Time will tell I suppose. How did your Prosystems 950 come jetted for your 6.0L at sea level?
Old 02-14-2012, 04:42 PM
Old School Heavy

Yep, just finally getting around to picking one up. This is my first carbureted car in over 15 years, so I didn't have one on hand. Prosystems said they set the carb up for my altitude out here, but at 76/86 at this altitude.......I have to think it's rich. Time will tell I suppose. How did your Prosystems 950 come jetted for your 6.0L at sea level?
They have pretty much nailed the main jetting on the 3 versions of my carb that they sent. They just have not done very well on the idle mixture, cruise mixture and tip in. From what I can tell, their strategy is to just fatten up the idle until any hesitation is gone and call it a day. IF that happens to be 11:1 AFR then "that is what it wants" LOL. If you want clean plugs and any type of fuel economy, that will be up to you. But, it gives me something to play with.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

They have pretty much nailed the main jetting on the 3 versions of my carb that they sent. They just have not done very well on the idle mixture, cruise mixture and tip in. From what I can tell, their strategy is to just fatten up the idle until any hesitation is gone and call it a day. IF that happens to be 11:1 AFR then "that is what it wants" LOL. If you want clean plugs and any type of fuel economy, that will be up to you. But, it gives me something to play with.
What jet numbers were in your 950 then? Since our applications are very similar, I'm curious how much more main jet they put in yours for use at sea level vs. mine for up here. 76/86 just struck me as being a lot of jet for 5000ft.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:49 PM
Old School Heavy

What jet numbers were in your 950 then? Since our applications are very similar, I'm curious how much more main jet they put in yours for use at sea level vs. mine for up here. 76/86 just struck me as being a lot of jet for 5000ft.
Same as yours 76/86. What size high speed bleeds are in yours?
Old 02-14-2012, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

By the way......I'm going to be looking to guys like you when I really do start fine tuning the driveability of this thing because I'm new to all that. But I think (unless I really get bored) I won't be messing with anything out here except optimizing the idle and WOT because I'll be moving back to near sea level in less than 6 months and will have to go through it all again anyway.

Quick Reply: Finally got my carb'd LS project on the street