Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Anybody wanna help a New guy from Ga with some ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 08:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody wanna help a New guy from Ga with some ?'s

Hello all, I am a new member to the forum but not new to it, I have been reading on here for quite some time now really love the site I have gotten some ideas I would just like to clear up some ?'s that I have to be certain If any of you dont mind helping I would greatly appreciate any help.

1. I have a 00 model 5.3, pulled it apart to clean and freshen the bottom end, most likely will stay stock on the bottom, I may try and balance the rods if its worth time???

2. Looking to get decent #'s out of this build hopefully will be going in a late model s-10 still to be found, street/strip truck.

3. My thoughts are from reading on here: I wanna go with a carb intake with MSD 6010, and holley 750.

4. Heads, Most likely stock heads as I dont have the budget for a nice set of CNC ported ones right now.... Maybe later on when I hit the lottery. Only machine work I have found nearby is shaving for these heads, Is there a reasonable place I can send them to for port polish work?? If so do you have a ball park figure?? If this is not available for one reason or the other I will get them shaved prob .30 is this a good #? will I need to flycut my stock pistons??

5. Looking at 1.8 scorpion roller rockers and I am thinking I will have to upgrade the rest of my valvetrain to compliment them... I.e springs,pushrods, and lifters.... Am I correct there or will this work with my stock setup??

6. Cam, I really have no idea there yet have been doing a ton of reading on here and there seem to be a lot of options I just dont know what is best for me. I want a choppy idle with good low end power and torque. Open to suggestions here.

This is all for now, I am sorry for jumping head first with all these questions but I am new to an Ls build I have been all sbc until now and dont really have alot of knowledge about the best combos on these motors really looking to get the best bang for my buck and still be one to be beat. Any help and advice is greatly appreciated and welcomed from all. Thanks guys.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:47 AM
Staging Lane

I just picked up the new super chevy mag yesterday and they are doing a all motor 5.3 build go but it it has a second gen blue camaro on the front I think the got like 450hp 430tq will a baby cam good luck
Old 09-21-2011, 10:00 AM
Teching In

Thanks I will grab one when I get off in the morning.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:02 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

That was a EFI build, pretty nicely done so far.

If you can, a set of LS6 casting heads can be had for the area of 400$, if that fits your budget, they flow about 30 more CFM than what you have. The are 243 or 799 castings.

Have them milled .030.

A TR220 cam with as tight of a LSA possible would give some thump and not rob low end TQ.

A 5.3 in one of the articles made nearly 340 HP with a carbed setup, nothing else done at all, so add a set of 243s that would be worth 20-30 HP alone and the cam that should net 40 HP, you would be at around 400 HP at the flywheel, and very streetable, reliable and fun.

I would run the stock rockers but upgrade the pushrods and valve springs to whatever the cam recommended.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a custom cam from Pat G...it is well worth a couple of extra $$$'s.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...am-change.html