Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

5.3 built for demolition derby

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 08:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 built for demolition derby

I know this is a little different request but I would love to know your opinions. Right now I have a 355 with world sportsman 2 heads.......just your basic 400hp motor. I am wanting to built another driveline setup and was wanting to try one of these out. I will be up front I dont know a whole lot about these. I have a complete running 5.3 and a set of 6.0 heads. What i am looking for is something that has wicked throttle response. I was hoping to use the stock bottom end with arp rod bolts. Also what other upgrades should i make? Oil pump? Another thing has anyone run alcohol with one of these? I know that alcohol with really wake a 23* motor up and will make the run alot cooler. As far as the rest of the driveline i run a turbo 400 with a fti 9" 2800 convertor, 40 spline moser with 5.14 gear, and 26 inch tall tires. But I want the best bang for the buck top end. What should I do for heads, cam, intake, carb, ect......Thanks Roy
Old 10-03-2011, 03:30 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

What are the power goals? 400 HP with a stock 5.3 that has a cam swapped in and a carb will make 400, as long as the exhaust is good for it. With ported heads you can get 450 HP out of them, but a 2800 converter would not be enough for the motor that was spinning that high.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:29 PM
On The Tree

Wow, seems like a lot of work for a derby car. When my dad used to run 'em he just used whatever motor was in the car, and if that didn't work he'd pull one from an old derby car that still ran. And he won a lot of 'em, ended top 4 more often than not. Stopped running when all the ones he went to changed from last man standing to having judges
Old 10-04-2011, 08:41 PM

You wouldnt believe the time and money people put in them. I know of several people that have between 10-15k in a car. Most of it you can reuse. Just take it from car to car. I would give up some top end power for better throttle response. How much of a difference does it make by putting 2.02 valves in the 6.0 heads if I dont turn it past 6500? I am leaning towards a stock 5.3 with these upgrades. Rod bolts, ls6 cam, valvesprings, and ported oil pump. On the top end Im thinking the rpm intake with 650 holley on alcohol. Would this be pretty close? Thanks
Old 10-14-2011, 11:09 PM
Teching In

Default derby kids and there toys

i know were your coming from i thought of the same build my brother was huge into derby's in iowa and he would fork over 5k on a decent 383 and another 2k in a rear then lots in a bunch of 3 speed set ups,
weld the **** out of the frame and use the frame for 50 to 100 derbys just throw bodies on the frame when they got to bad
I think hte 5.3 ideawould be pretty sweet.
goodluck
Old 10-15-2011, 01:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mill the stock 5.3 heads,ls6 is a good cam, my all time favorite instant throttle response cam is the LPE GT11.I just installed one of these in a milled heads ly6 6.0, and definitely increased the throttle response. I've used this type cam in a milled heads lq4, and it is significantly stronger overall with l92 heads

Quick Reply: 5.3 built for demolition derby