Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Anyone regret going carb?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 08:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone regret going carb?

My first conversion was a fuel injected 5.3L '56 Chevy. Had a lot of problems that might be attributed to the harness I bought but it seemed never ending. I sold that car and have been working on a '59 Chevy truck with a 5.3L and bought the carb and manifold for this one after the last experience. I started it once a few months ago and it would only run with a lot of throttle, died as soon as the throttle was left off and wouldn't idle. I hope that's just a simple carb tune issue.

Last week, I talked to a local guy that builds a bunch of old cars with LS motors and he kinda dug into me about going carb and said it was a big mistake. Now I'm starting to second guess myself and dwelling on how the motor won't stay running.

Any regrets as far as start up and driveability with your carbed LS? What to do?!

Jeff
Old 10-15-2011, 09:49 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Absolutely not, i love my carbs, now would i go carbed on a OE EFI LS car, no way. But, as far as conversions go, i love it, carbs and LS motors work as well as anything else. The tuning is simple for ME, and it is no guessing if wiring is correct, if sensors are good, yada yada. We just converter a 98 Silverado to a 2001 6.0 EFI swap, only because it needs to be EFI to pass inspection. just got it running today after swapping a extra set of injectors, thank god we had them laying around.

My 86 TA, 89 RS and 94 GMC are great with carbs on them and i might consider EFI on the 94 GMC if i just had all the extra parts and time, but i still doubt i would since a upgrade to the fuel system would also be required.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:11 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not here. may try a efi next but love the carb.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sometimes, but over all not really.

Like said above carbs work great with LS motors and IMO nothing beats the look of them. This is my first real carb motor I have built so it has been enjoyable learning experience. I work with computers all day so I really would have hated using a lap top to tune. Performance is out of this world.

It is also kind of nostalgic to have a manual choke and have to understand the character of what it takes to start this particular car.

The only down side is I have fought some carb problems trying to get things sorted out. That can get somewhat discouraging at times. Sometimes you just want to drive the car, not work on it. Not to say I wouldn't have had similar problems with an EFI car, but sometimes the carb just seems like one more thing to have to mess with.

But now that things are pretty much sorted out I am happy with the car and glad it has the unique appeal of a carb.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:03 PM
On The Tree

I <3 my carbs

I think the biggest problems out there are those who experience issues related to tuning, and alos those that believe you need to constantly tweak a carb every weekend just to get the car to be drivable. I've found that once properly tuned you can set it and forget it.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:28 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

The only I wish I had fuel injection when I hit the brakes hard or corner hard and the car wants to stall. Or, when I am trying to get my cruise AFR leaned out.

I do not envy the fuel injection guys that have to chase some tuner guru around every time they want to make a change. Or spending hundreds of dollars on dyno sessions for tuning. Or when they get some weird trouble code they can't figure out. Or when their car won't start and they don't know why. etc.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:50 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Since I dialed my carb in nearing a year and a half ago, I have not retuned it.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:34 PM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by speedtigger
The only I wish I had fuel injection when I hit the brakes hard or corner hard and the car wants to stall. Or, when I am trying to get my cruise AFR leaned out.

I do not envy the fuel injection guys that have to chase some tuner guru around every time they want to make a change. Or spending hundreds of dollars on dyno sessions for tuning. Or when they get some weird trouble code they can't figure out. Or when their car won't start and they don't know why. etc.
this sums it up exactly for me too, but if I had the spare cash, I would put a Holley HP efi setup on my car, then I could tune it myself, or just let it tune its self........
Old 10-17-2011, 02:58 AM
On The Tree

The only I wish I had fuel injection when I hit the brakes hard or corner hard and the car wants to stall
That sounds like a float bowl issues - maybe you need to adjust the float screws?
Old 10-17-2011, 05:53 AM
In-Zane Moderator

If I brake hard on the RS, it will want to die as well, but the bowl levels are high in it for the strip.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:31 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
If I brake hard on the RS, it will want to die as well, but the bowl levels are high in it for the strip.
Mine are set at the Holley recommended level and it still does it.
The following users liked this post:
cosmo420 (04-19-2020)
Old 10-17-2011, 08:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a dialed-in 4 wheel disc setup on my chevelle with hydroboost. I can stall the engine at will on hard braking to a stop. Float level half way up the sight glass.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:04 AM
On The Tree

Mine are set at the Holley recommended level and it still does it.
So were mine - but every darned time I'd brake hard or do a left turn it'd sputter sputter sputter. Then I raised it about a 1/2 turn and no more problems. My level is not set to how Holley says to set it (just a dribble coming out at idle), but I don't care, it works perfectly.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:35 AM
11 Second Club

I have a carbed LS1 in a jet boat - I didn't take into account the "extreme angles" the boat sees; and do plan to go to EFI this winter.

Also, I move around A LOT - so the EFI would be beneficial for the elevation/climate changes.

Don't think I'll get more power, though...
Old 10-18-2011, 09:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I may have to go out and try braking harder. I haven't experienced the motor stalling out like that.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:07 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by 2efnfast
So were mine - but every darned time I'd brake hard or do a left turn it'd sputter sputter sputter. Then I raised it about a 1/2 turn and no more problems. My level is not set to how Holley says to set it (just a dribble coming out at idle), but I don't care, it works perfectly.
Wow. I would have thought raising the fuel level would have made it worse. Interesting.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by FormulaZR
I have a carbed LS1 in a jet boat - I didn't take into account the "extreme angles" the boat sees; and do plan to go to EFI this winter.

Also, I move around A LOT - so the EFI would be beneficial for the elevation/climate changes.

Don't think I'll get more power, though...
Ya you will have less power and less money and less hair on your head when your done..

Sounds like some of you guys need to try a Pro systems carb.......i have no problems with my Dominator on the street or track........

Old 10-20-2011, 08:52 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by ls7notch
Sounds like some of you guys need to try a Pro systems carb.......i have no problems with my Dominator on the street or track........
What is your idle air fuel ratio?
Old 10-20-2011, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I do not envy the fuel injection guys that have to chase some tuner guru around every time they want to make a change. Or spending hundreds of dollars on dyno sessions for tuning.
THIS.
**** gets old, real f'n quick and honestly the only thing a carb can't do that EFI can is provide slightly better driveability. For a race car or street/strip car where a slight hiccup here and there isn't a concern, a carb works great and is the best bang for the buck. Not to mention, once you dyno, your numbers will be everyone's business in no time if it's at all local. That sucks, especially if you're a grudge or street racer.

Last edited by RATBOX; 10-20-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ls7notch
Ya you will have less power and less money and less hair on your head when your done..

I rarely ever hear anything bad about his carbs.

Quick Reply: Anyone regret going carb?