Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Using 6.0 in our Port City circle track car

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using 6.0 in our Port City circle track car

Need to know what to expect after we start building this engine for our race car. This is our first step into the next gen engines instead of the old style engines (only one other place in the country is building "LS" race engines for circle track) so any help on how we figure what cam to use from what stock heads to run for max horsepower would be greatly appreciated. So far the motor is going to have cams, rods, pistons, intake and head work. The only thing we aren't sure of is how big we go on everything. Any help is greatly appreciated guys and gals!

Thanks,
Alex
Old 11-11-2011, 07:16 PM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

look at GM's ct 525 crate engine specs
Old 11-11-2011, 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

L92 heads flow like a bastard at .600 lift. 320 cfm rough cast out of the box!
Old 11-12-2011, 12:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You are referring to Schwanke as the other place?If not check them out,as well I think some of the dirt LM and Mod guys are running LSX stuff as well.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:00 PM
On The Tree

I can help, built a 402 for a modified, also ran it in my late model.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm workin on an awesome (I think so) front drive accessory setup that would work excellent for circle track and swaps.
Are circle track cars allowed efans? Or need mechanical fans?
Old 11-21-2011, 03:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NemeSS
I'm workin on an awesome (I think so) front drive accessory setup that would work excellent for circle track and swaps.
Are circle track cars allowed efans? Or need mechanical fans?
Mechanical fans are mandated in most circle track classes, most circle track accessory applications are basic. I plan on only running a power steering pump and water pump if i can find a good kit, only problem being (correct me if im wrong) i think the stock pump is reverse rotation. Very interested in what you have for accessory drive setups, I am currently collecting parts for a 402 in my dirt modified.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Denny28
Mechanical fans are mandated in most circle track classes, most circle track accessory applications are basic. I plan on only running a power steering pump and water pump if i can find a good kit, only problem being (correct me if im wrong) i think the stock pump is reverse rotation. Very interested in what you have for accessory drive setups, I am currently collecting parts for a 402 in my dirt modified.
Edelbrock has a standard rotation pump, Stewart also makes one available from Wegner. My engine has a distributor front conversion with a long Stewart pump and a pulley set-up from Wegner. I don't have any accessories on the front of the engine, using a KSE tandem pump off the bellhousing. What type of transmission/drive are you using? The only things you need to replace a 1st Gen SBC with an LS are the correct motor mounts, a crank flange adapter, and the correct headers.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:52 PM
11 Second Club

i know some of my sprint car buddies are brave and dont run a fan on there setups and if they put one on its like an 10" plastic fan setup with blades trimmed down
Old 11-22-2011, 06:09 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by driver56
Edelbrock has a standard rotation pump, Stewart also makes one available from Wegner. My engine has a distributor front conversion with a long Stewart pump and a pulley set-up from Wegner. I don't have any accessories on the front of the engine, using a KSE tandem pump off the bellhousing. What type of transmission/drive are you using? The only things you need to replace a 1st Gen SBC with an LS are the correct motor mounts, a crank flange adapter, and the correct headers.
I run a falcon transmission, and already have the adapter from winters to adapt to the old style coupler. I ran a rons belt drive fuel pump setup on my old engines. But it sounds like a tandem rear drive setup would simplify things. Any input on headers? It looks like a schoenfeld 1186ls1 would be the only option, I dont think dynatec makes ls headers yet.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:20 PM
On The Tree

I don't know if Dynatech makes modified headers for the LS yet, but I do have a set on my late model. When I talked to Schoenfeld about ordering a set they said it'd be a while because they'd have to build them, they didn't have any on the shelf. I didn't want to wait so I got the Dynatechs. I also asked Schoenfeld about doing a custom set and after I told them what I'd like to have the guy on the phone said I'd just have to talk to Doug (Schoenfeld) about that. They're only about 15-20min. from me so I guess we'll see.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep, some time ago I made a adapter to use mechanical fan on a stock ls water pump. Although it has to be a truck wp with the threaded pulley for stock clutch fan.
I'm working on the final versions of the drive accessories. Everything is Cnc machined 6061 for the accessory brackets and steel for the fan adapter

Quick Reply: Using 6.0 in our Port City circle track car